Cb1100 in a minivan???

bigsheep_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm looking into picking up my CB1100 from Cleveland. I was thinking of getting it on March break this year, however it may be too cold to ride it home yet. My wife has a dodge caravan, you think it'll fit in the back? I've seen pictures online of bikes in vans. Even better has anyone done it with this specific bike and the same minivan ? Ours is a 2014 dodge caravan with stow and go.
 
bigsheep_imp said:
I'm looking into picking up my CB1100 from Cleveland. I was thinking of getting it on March break this year, however it may be too cold to ride it home yet. My wife has a dodge caravan, you think it'll fit in the back? I've seen pictures online of bikes in vans. Even better has anyone done it with this specific bike and the same minivan ? Ours is a 2014 dodge caravan with stow and go.
when i picked up my cb a few months ago i rented a motorcycle trailer from u-haul it cost me $15, well worth it. if the mini van doesn't work out its worth looking into.
 
I'm sure if you measure the dimensions, you can see if it's possible or not.

But I would personally not want to attempt this, just because loading and unloading is going to be nightmare and you have to find a way to securely tight your bike. You might scratch/dent your van and even worse, you might drop your bike while loading & unloading. I'm sure you'll be careful and all that, but I've seen so many people on YouTube dropping their bike while unloading their bike.

I know a few people used motorcycle trailer though.

Just go to your local U-Haul. Maybe you can go to Cleveland's U-Haul and drop it off at Hamilton?

b4868b7af1b5cdc08cf59752e2b55322.jpg

b35d1c2a9af6c637dba01953ef1b4b7c.jpg
 
I rented the trailer shown and it worked great. Low ramp, front wheel chock and multiple tie down points made it simple to use...I think I spent around $20 for the day.

I definitely wouldn't try to haul this bike in a minivan. 200 lb dirt bike maybe, but not a CB1100
 
A CB1100 is a lot of weight to get into a small confined space. Will need wide ramp to make it safe. Trailer is always the best way, and I use one rather than loading into my truck

Be safe.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I would say its not going to fit. Too tall. And U Haul sure isn't going to let him pick up the trailer in the US and drop it in Canada. Best bet is rent one in Canada and return it there.
 
Each time I've inquired about those U-Haul motorcycle trailers, I've been told they're for local use only and need to be returned to the place they came from. But maybe it's different in other parts of the country. If so, you could rent an enclosed 5'x8' U-Haul trailer for not a lot of money. I'd personally do that before attempting to shove a 540# motorcycle into a minivan.
 
There is also the U-haul 5x8 trailer with ramp not motorcycle specific. They cost more but are for sure one way rentals as I have done it many times.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
IF it fits in the minivan I'd have 4 guys to load and unload to be safe. Otherwise a uhaul round trip rental is the way to go.
 
will866_imp said:
Can you import a bike from US into Canada?
Yes, as long as the bike was made for the US market.

If the bike(or car) was made for market other than the US, then the vehicle must be 15 years old(instead of 25 years in US).

That's why in Canada there are R34 Skyline GT-R and stuff.
 
I just took some measurements on mine and to the top of the master cylinder ( no mirrors) you are looking at 43 1/2 inches... Lever end to lever end in width you are looking at 33 inches.
 
Even if it fits, I would have to see how will it be anchored to be convinced it is a good idea. We are talking about a 250 kg of single-object, very, (very!) rigid mass here. This means forces on those anchor points will be way higher than what three human bodies of the same total mass will exert in case of sudden braking. (I'm sure there's something about voiding the warranty, to speak nothing about the insurance. :)
 
Thread starter
All good points to consider. I doubt it would void any warranty or insurance. The minivan has tie down spots and I would take care driving home.

My main reason for this is I don't have a vehicle with a hitch and the cost of getting a hitch I could probably have the bike shipped to my door.

Yes as long as the vehicle has no outstanding recalls any Honda motorcycle made for the USA market can be imported and licenced in Canada. In this case it's saving me around 1200 dollars plus all the included touring hardware that has been added (I figure another $2000 + for all the accessories). I have to notify the border before my crossing and get the bike approved when I get it here. There is a small fee of a few hundred dollars and I have to pay GST on the vehicle when I register it.

Depending on the weather I could take a bus down, get a 10
Day plate and ride the beast back.
 
Well, I've done crazier things than this before adding any alcohol to the discussion.
If I knew it would fit I'd try it, can you borrow a bike beforehand and try loading it in the van to see what all is involved?
In such a confined space I'd also consider ventilation - gasoline fumes.

A brace such as a 2x6 somewhere to keep the bike out of the front seats might be inexpensive insurance. The CB is a good bike, it deserves a better home than Cleveland.
 
My CB barely fits - a bit sidewise - 6'-6" bed. I bet it would fit.

I picked up a 48" wide, three piece ramp for the truck, great piece of kit, but for the van it would take up a lot of room and create problems with the bike inside.

I've towed trailers, mileage really sucks towing. Sounds like it's a no-go for you anyway. So I think you should pack that baby up, strap it down good (there are straps with come with smaller hoop bits that go around the handle bar - with eyes for the hooks - makes it easy to use ratchet straps without damaging the bike).

Secure it good, drive carefully, should be good.
 
bigsheep_imp said:
All good points to consider. I doubt it would void any warranty or insurance. The minivan has tie down spots and I would take care driving home.

My main reason for this is I don't have a vehicle with a hitch and the cost of getting a hitch I could probably have the bike shipped to my door.

Yes as long as the vehicle has no outstanding recalls any Honda motorcycle made for the USA market can be imported and licenced in Canada. In this case it's saving me around 1200 dollars plus all the included touring hardware that has been added (I figure another $2000 + for all the accessories). I have to notify the border before my crossing and get the bike approved when I get it here. There is a small fee of a few hundred dollars and I have to pay GST on the vehicle when I register it.

Depending on the weather I could take a bus down, get a 10
Day plate and ride the beast back.

I would rent a pickup truck and the motorcycle trailer both from U-haul for a day. Will probably run you around $100
 
I don't know much about moving bikes on trailers, but, unless you're really sure the mounting points are made to hold that much weight in the event you have to stop in a hurry (which can happen even if you're being careful) I wouldn't risk it. You do NOT want to b joined in the front seat by your new CB. Ride it, or, failing that, rent the truck and trailer just to be sure.
 
Sounds like you have the customs entry thing understood. But make certain what it is you have to provide proof of. When I helped a friend import from Canada to US, HE had to prove EPA and DOT compliance AND provide proof of no open recalls. That was because the bike was a European model. Maybe Canada just looks at the US VIN and says it's in compliance and OK to come in?
 
Back
Top