CB1100 Getting No Love on Facebook

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
There's a private group called "Unusual, Interesting & Rare Motorcycles." on Facebook. A guy named Leon Green posted a picture of a 2017 EX and asked "Why didn't these sell?"

It generated a huge reaction by the standards of this FB group. The responses were 90% mercilessly negative. Most of the sentiment was centered around being too heavy, too boring, too Honda, too much of a styling throwback, and too underpowered.

I couldn't help but think these guys are completely missing the point.
 
There’s no accounting for taste. I stopped at the Mt Glorious Café when I was out for a ride this week. A group of older blokes of both genders was there having coffee. There was a Guzzi, a BMW, a Triumph T120 and a Suzuki 1400 at least. As I was leaving a couple of them came over and told me how much they liked the CB1100, what a lovely bike it was, how marvelous Hondas are and so forth.

I don’t much care if people don’t like the CB1100 or any other bike for that matter, but I do wonder why they feel the need to be so unpleasant about their dislikes. It’s almost a case of ‘methinks thou dost protest too much.’
 
Cormanus_imp said:
There’s no accounting for taste. I stopped at the Mt Glorious Café when I was out for a ride this week. A group of older blokes of both genders was there having coffee. There was a Guzzi, a BMW, a Triumph T120 and a Suzuki 1400 at least. As I was leaving a couple of them came over and told me how much they liked the CB1100, what a lovely bike it was, how marvelous Hondas are and so forth.

I don’t much care if people don’t like the CB1100 or any other bike for that matter, but I do wonder why they feel the need to be so unpleasant about their dislikes. It’s almost a case of ‘methinks thou dost protest too much.’
...or car or whatever.
I don't even give it a dam...f... .

Always bought and will buy the things, motorbikes, cars etc. that I like and got and get happy with them. If not I sold them and tried others. It's good, healthy for your soul to free yourself from opions other people have. Maybe recognize them, if they are worth a thought or two and drop the ones which aren't up to yours. A lot aren't.

Everyone has a meaning only a few have knowledge or are seriously 'involved'. But it's a matter of taste....yes, somehow. The CB is up to my taste and I ride her, not the ones who don't own them or haven't ever ridden one....

Wisedrum
 
Who really cares what some of those idiots on FB think about anything - especially the 1100.
It's what we owners think, love and enjoy.
Ride on and smile all the way.
 
Some of these "haters" probably can not even afford to buy a great bike like the CB 1100 . I have had over 50 bikes in my 50 years of riding and this is the best and easiest bike to ride /own I ever had.
 
...I do not even have FB account and will never have as long as I am alive..
...dont like my CB, don't even look at it !
 
non believers pffffft ignore them
 
Many years ago I was working at a place with a crew who all rode HD's. It was always some what confrontational when I would ride my BMW to work. The discussions were interesting in that they all had reasons for the HD that centered on what others thought of them and their rides. "BMW? Not cool". "I can't even hear it running. It sounds like a sewing machine". "Nerds ride them". And so on.

They had difficulty with the concept that I ride what gives me pleasure. I choose a machine that performs the kind of riding I wish to do. Finally, I often put on more miles in a weekend than they did in an entire riding season. And I did it in all sorts of weather. My choice of motorcycle was (and is) a tool. It is not bling; function not flash.

That said, I concede that one can choose a ride to meet one's own pleasure that seems to follow the crowd. The point I'm trying to make (badly) is: ride what gives you pleasure and realize that others just won't get what drives us.
jim
 
I actually had a guy who was quite negative about the CB11 say the most silly thing i've ever heard anybody say about a motorcycle.

"that bikes gearing is stupid. you can hit the speed cap in 3rd gear. 4th, 5th, and 6th gear are just useless! it's so badly designed!"

i didn't even take the time to explain to him why running your bike around at the redline isn't exactly the correct way to ride a CB. I used this story to illustrate what I think is the problem: A lot of people look at the CB11 and think "well it doesn't look like a harley, so it must be a sportbike." and then proceed to judge it based on how they think a sportbike should run. that's the source of every comment about it being too heavy, underpowered, geared too tall, wheels too narrow, ect ect ect. because they're trying to compare it to a CBR1000RR, like that's even close to the same thing.

but here are the facts: the CB1100 hits 0-60 in 3.3 to 3.5 seconds depending on who you listen to. it runs a quarter mile in just over 11 seconds (with the speed cap still turned on). you can buy one brand new for about 7k, and it has bulletproof lifelong reliability. show me ANY OTHER BIKE with that kind of power and reliability at that price, and i'll admit that the CB11 is not so great. the CBR600RR, for example is definitely faster, but costs a lot more as a brand new bike, is way less modifiable, and would be way less comfortable as a commuter or long-haul touring bike. The XSR900 is still faster than the CB11, more comfortable than the CBR600RR, but still costs way more than buying a new 2014 CB1100. It just comes down to the numbers. not every bike purchase has to be the best at one thing. sometimes you buy a bike that does everything you could ever want without necessarily holding any world records.

TLDR; the CB11's strength is it's lack of weaknesses, not its high spots.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
...I do not even have FB account and will never have as long as I am alive..
...dont like my CB, don't even look at it !
I do not have a Face Book account either and will never need one !
 
I blame Russian trolls. Election season, y'know. Probably sitting around a smoking pile of worn out Ural tires swilling Petrolski, and trying to sow discord and negativity.
Keep calm and ride on, it's only Inyerfacebook.

Ben
 
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
...I do not even have FB account and will never have as long as I am alive..
...dont like my CB, don't even look at it !
I do not have a Face Book account either and will never need one !
I do not have a Face Book account either and will never need one !
That makes at least 3 of us!!!
 
Ben70_imp said:
I blame Russian trolls. Election season, y'know. Probably sitting around a smoking pile of worn out Ural tires swilling Petrolski, and trying to sow discord and negativity.
Keep calm and ride on, it's only Inyerfacebook.

Ben
By not having FB, this is why, at least 3 of us so far, keep very calm and :biker: silently :D
:hello::beerchug:
 
I'm #4. I've never even seen Facebook.

This post made me reflect on my bikes. Each one has been poo-poo'd by the motorcycling community, each for various reasons. None were popular or huge sellers, yet each is spectacular when I ride them. That's really all that matters to me.

Is there a bike universally loved by everyone? Nope.
 
Thread starter
There are over 28,000 members of the group and the post generated 159 comments whereas the average post generates less than ten comments.

You can be on Facebook without having to do the social part. You don’t have to post and you don’t have to “Friend” anyone. But you can follow all kinds of awesome and cool motorcycle-related accounts that serve up tons of great content continuously.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm #4. I've never even seen Facebook.

This post made me reflect on my bikes. Each one has been poo-poo'd by the motorcycling community, each for various reasons. None were popular or huge sellers, yet each is spectacular when I ride them. That's really all that matters to me.

Is there a bike universally loved by everyone? Nope.
maybe not universally, but the MT-07 and MT-09 are probably the hottest selling motorcycles in the world. i swear it's the most common new motorcycle I see anywhere, online, on the road, in dealerships, anywhere. people really seem to love that thing to death. Yamaha really hit the main vein with that one.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm #4. I've never even seen Facebook.

This post made me reflect on my bikes. Each one has been poo-poo'd by the motorcycling community, each for various reasons. None were popular or huge sellers, yet each is spectacular when I ride them. That's really all that matters to me.

Is there a bike universally loved by everyone? Nope.
maybe not universally, but the MT-07 and MT-09 are probably the hottest selling motorcycles in the world. i swear it's the most common new motorcycle I see anywhere, online, on the road, in dealerships, anywhere. people really seem to love that thing to death. Yamaha really hit the main vein with that one.
maybe not universally, but the MT-07 and MT-09 are probably the hottest selling motorcycles in the world...
OK, you made me Google it.
Good reviews...but does not look like a "standard" to me.
Maybe that's just my age
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm #4. I've never even seen Facebook.

This post made me reflect on my bikes. Each one has been poo-poo'd by the motorcycling community, each for various reasons. None were popular or huge sellers, yet each is spectacular when I ride them. That's really all that matters to me.

Is there a bike universally loved by everyone? Nope.
Wife is on it, since the kids seldom email now.
She shows me grandkid and great-grandkid photos...that is enough
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm #4. I've never even seen Facebook.

This post made me reflect on my bikes. Each one has been poo-poo'd by the motorcycling community, each for various reasons. None were popular or huge sellers, yet each is spectacular when I ride them. That's really all that matters to me.

Is there a bike universally loved by everyone? Nope.
Amen to that!
Having a vehicle as everyone else has is NOT of interest to me.
However, not too rare is a benefit to finding parts.
 
Can't understand the negative types, not only FB only but other sites as well. I ride what I like. Whatever makes a rider smile is a good choice.
 
Back
Top