CB1100 Fourm - Chicagoland Chapter: Meeting Miniutes

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
The first, as far as I know, meeting of CB1100 owners from Chicagoland was held Saturday, August 9, 2014 at Apple Villa Restaurant in Hoffman Estates, IL.

Attendees: Tim (Short Timer), Todd (Todd_K), and Matt (yours truly)

Discussion topics included: General agreement that corned beef hash is better if crispy, although there seemed to be mild differences on the degree of crispness. Also, suitable admiration was poured onto Todd for being able to carve out time to ride at all with two little ones at home and one on the way. We then set out to make sure our bodies were properly fueled with eggs, various pork products, and coffee--Sorry, Mickey, the Chicagoland Chapter feels that tea is too refined for CB riders and may be better suited for the highfalutin Gold Wing set. (It's also entirely possible that we never discussed tea or Gold Wings)

L to R: Matt, Todd, Tim, Goofy waiter with too much time on his hands.
ec7c391b4dcddbfa8bff143c5c803d51.jpg


Formal meeting adjourned and we headed out for a short tour of the northwest and west suburbs of one of the truly great cities in the world.

A pretty good selection of CB versions were present: Todd's 2014 Std in black, Tim's DLX, and my 2013 Non-ABS
32a681fee3b05186a99e79855e304e5f.jpg


I thought about killing Todd for his cool Vanson jacket, but he's got kids at home and besides it's probably two sizes too small and then there'd be blood and stuff, so...
03cc61d10cc2f65ae8755855675266d7.jpg


I lead the short leg of our trip which would take us west through a very affluent area on a very pretty road so we could see how the other 1% lives. Unfortunately, my camera malfunctioned and I was only able to get a few pics from this section...
1e4c459024551c60afb664fa8370a539.jpg


2e7ac11d60f40bd3db985ecbea945849.jpg


be4c077c907068c438bbb0c06bbdb04f.jpg


5967a1aacc3a0a58d2de1dfb50487fa1.jpg


Todd would lead the rest our ride together, which would take us south on Hwy31 in the general homeward direction for Tim and Todd. I would have to "suffer" the "inconvenience" of riding a longer return trip alone....oh, the sacrifice of having to spend more time on my bike

One last passing thought of stealing that jacket...

Todd looking stealthy
de7c2af44226abf0d0b923ab0257462d.jpg


Tim looking...ummm distinctly UN-stealthy
a6c86de7b09ba0a205b5171a85b075e8.jpg


31 is not a particularly inspiring road, but it runs roughly along the Fox River through the City of Elgin which was pretty in its own (Todd's description) "post-industrial river town" kind of way. After Elgin, though, 31 opens up nicely and Todd took us off of it onto some very scenic roads, moving us from urban, to suburban, to rural areas in the space of an hour or so; something fairly hard to do in our area in such a short time span.

7e5c9624292fde353a7d7212d528e70f.jpg


f37fa7343685c55b55bdb65bd42a9a7c.jpg


1739ba5d968941706659f141413c4125.jpg


1e52f03c6a433f155ace47425007717d.jpg


Our ride ended quicker than I think any of us wanted it to, but we had a wonderful morning and agreed that another meeting/ride should happen soon with less time on the meeting part and lots more time on the ride part.

"Good Byes" and "Safe Rides" were exchanged and another great ride was logged

66eb89c99d9c0abe01db3fd6262da24c.jpg
 
Cool report, and great pics Sea! I have been laughing hysterically at the narration. That IS an awesome looking leather jacket. i might have harbored the same thoughts. We don't let Gold Wing riders drink tea... To strong for them.
 
I know that area all too well as I lived there for a long time and drove all over the place with my cb in the car. The last place I lived was in Wauconda and I worked at tollgate rd and 31. Talk about seeing how the other half lives...
 
Awesome report! As much fun reading about it as it was taking part in it! Thanks again to Todd for that last leg of the ride. Very nice roads if ya know where to go.

And a thank you to Matt for pulling it together and the photo journal. Never had pics of me riding before. :D

And the best part of that Jacket was how it makes ya look so darn trim ;). I want one like that :exclamation::exclamation:
 
Thread starter
Tim, you and I have the same Olympia jacket. Clearly, there's a design flaw in them that makes us look bigger than we actually are. The really weird thing is that they also make us look like we are older and have less hair, too. I don't how they managed to accomplish that. :huh:
 
Matt - you could start writing for a travel magazine if the insurance gig ever goes flat. Excellent summation, with enough intrigue to keep the reader hooked (would there be blood? Wait and see...). Thanks for the laughs :)

It was great meeting you guys - lookin forward to the next time!

Edited to add a photo of the terrible fate that awaited me at home...
 
Thread starter
When you said you had "pressing business at home", I didn't know you were being literal.
Oh, and next time, we're going to Allen's Corner for breakfast or lunch
 
;)

I have an understanding wife who tolerates a lot of my interests, so a little payback is happily given.

Did you get a chance to ride past Allen's Corner? It draws you in on looks alone, but the food is great as well.
 
Great report, very entertaining! Laughed out loud at the shot with the waiter inserting himself in the frame and really enjoyed all of the other photos, including the shot of the 3 different CB1100 variations all together. Thanks for sharing.
 
That's a great report, Matt. I laughed lots as I read it. Time for tea and Metamucil,
 
I got wind of this thread from another posting, so pardon my arriving late for the party -
But I just had to say: what a great write-up, pics and obvious good time! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top