CB1100 forum miles

Ferret, I suspect that, with love and care, the CB1100 will see you out, even if it has 200,000 or 300,000 miles on the clock. If it doesn't, would you derive a certain perverse pleasure from it crumbling gracefully underneath you and being able to dance around, punching the air and saying, 'Yes! Yes! I won!'?
 
Ferret,
Had 90k plus on my ST1100 and it didn't even drink a drop of oil when it left home - my mistake.

My experience with air cooled 4 cylinders, from 35-40 yrs ago, was they needed a bit of rejuvenating around 60-70k miles but I'm sure engineering has advanced tremendously in that time. Heck, everything has.
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Ferret,
Had 90k plus on my ST1100 and it didn't even drink a drop of oil when it left home - my mistake.

My experience with air cooled 4 cylinders, from 35-40 yrs ago, was they needed a bit of rejuvenating around 60-70k miles but I'm sure engineering has advanced tremendously in that time. Heck, everything has.
I've been wondering about this a bit too. My 1981 XJ650 gave up the ghost at 145,000kms. Bottom end bearings still seemed good, as it made good oil pressure and no noises, but it definitely needed at least a re-ring, or likely an overbore, and the head rebuilt as it basically had no compression or power.

I'm somewhat expecting the CB to need this same thing at around the same mileage (yes, I plan to own it that long). Not a massive expense really, if the rest of the bike is still in good shape and I've got that much mileage out of it. I just hope it's possible to get oversize pistons and rings for the CB in 5 or so years.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Thank you sir, and updated :thumbsup:

Might even catch Haystack before he updates his and stay ahead of Kenny another day or two :rofl:
The only problem with that plan is the part where you bump the thread and remind us it is time. However, my mileage seems to have dropped off a bit for the month of September.
 
September was another good month for me having ridden all 30 days in the month making it 231 out of 274 days ridden for the year. Sept numbers: 2,788 miles on the ST and 421 miles on the CB for 3209 miles for the month and 18,659 miles ridden YTD. Should meet my 20,000 miles yearly goal with no problems. (knock on wood)

2 for 2 in October for 118 miles (63 on CB, 55 on ST) and will be out there this afternoon racking up some more lol.

Dang I love riding!
 
I just tallied mileage for October and had 422 miles on the CB and 1372 miles on the ST for a total of 1794 miles.
 
way to go Joe :thumbsup:

My numbers are tallied for October as well, and very similar.

31 of 31 days ridden in October making it 262 days out of 305 days possible for the year

CB 729 miles
ST 1,841 miles
Monthly total 2,564

CB 6,710 for the year
ST 14,519 for the year
Yearly total 21,229

November off to a good start 1 for 1 and 162 miles on the CB :biker:
 
The ferret_imp said:
way to go Joe :thumbsup:

My numbers are tallied for October as well, and very similar.

31 of 31 days ridden in October making it 262 days out of 305 days possible for the year

CB 729 miles
ST 1,841 miles
Monthly total 2,564

CB 6,710 for the year
ST 14,519 for the year
Yearly total 21,229

November off to a good start 1 for 1 and 162 miles on the CB :biker:
Excellent! :thumbsup:

It was 29 F yesterday morning so I finally got around to do some yard clean up. Lots of leaves!

This morning it's 50 F with a high of 65 F so a great day for a ride!

I had 7581 miles for a total last year (all CB).

This year was my first year of full retirement and so far:

7556 miles on the CB
4539 miles on the ST (bought in late July)

Total of 12295 miles.

It's nice being retired, lol.
 
Yes it is. :thumbsup:

I find as far as riding goes, being retired lets you ride in the prime part of the day. In the summer you can ride early and late to avoid the heat. In the winter you can ride in the warmest part of the day avoiding the cold. If rain is coming in late, you can ride early and vice versa, or ride during a lull in a wave of storms.

A real advantage to racking up miles.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes it is. :thumbsup:

I find as far as riding goes, being retired lets you ride in the prime part of the day. In the summer you can ride early and late to avoid the heat. In the winter you can ride in the warmest part of the day avoiding the cold. If rain is coming in late, you can ride early and vice versa, or ride during a lull in a wave of storms.

A real advantage to racking up miles.
I'm retired and that's the way I do it - except for winter riding.
Much too cold in these parts for that.
 
Dang! Almost caught The Ferret for the month of October. 2243 miles for me, but I didn't "cheat" with the warmth of heated gear or the shelter of an ST. ;)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Dang! Almost caught The Ferret for the month of October. 2243 miles for me, but I didn't "cheat" with the warmth of heated gear or the shelter of an ST. ;)
:thumbsup::rofl:
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Dang! Almost caught The Ferret for the month of October. 2243 miles for me, but I didn't "cheat" with the warmth of heated gear or the shelter of an ST. ;)

And you worked! ..... that's quite impressive Sea :thumbsup:
 
I was only able to get in 273 miles for October. Part due to the bike being at the dealer for a week, part due to extremely wet weather and job interviews. I don't mind riding to the interview, but I don't want to risk arriving soaking wet. My daily commute has also been cut in half now that I am done with school.
 
It's funny I also particpate in a mileage thingy over on the ST forum. 213 members participate. 10k miles gets you tied for 67 th place. There are some serious riders over there that make me look like a slacker. I'm sitting in 11 th place over there. The leader has over 41K, second 38k third 35k. You'd think Cali or southern guys would be the highest since they have the best year round weather for riding, but it's not. The leader is from NY. 2nd from MO and 3 rd place from NH. Of course it's all for fun, there are no prizes or anything, and some of these guys will travel to most of the state rallys, but it is interesting how many miles some of those guys rack up.
 
The 100-150 mile round trip commute while I was in school meant I could rack up 33K miles per year just in commuting miles. My work commute is only half of that for now, but that could change depending on which company I end up with in the next few weeks.
 
Thats a lot of commuting Kenny lol
 
Back
Top