CB1100 First Impressions

jamestkirk_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Let me preface this with the fact that I've yet to own any Honda CB that wasn't built in the 70's. I've had some dirt bikes that are from the 21st century but the street bikes have all been old school. Time for a change of pace.

And WHAT A PACE THIS BIKE SETS!!
906543a76e2ef1f4d3d4f36f62c5c4d4.jpg


Oh.My.God!:excited:

I'm going to get into big trouble! Big big trouble, with the LAW!

Lighter, more maneuverable and faster. Much Much Faster. The first mod I did was to transplant the radar detector from the 750. It's saved my hiney so many times I can't keep track. I'm really happy with it's sensitivity and ruggedness.http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/gear/tpx-radar-detector
e57cce4a017f0e4c1155ba7ad4432f65.jpg


My first bummer: CATALYTIC CONVERTERS! What the heck ever! On a motorcycle? The problem is, is that I'm a pilot and I have free access to minor amounts of 100LL aviation fuel...
adfd3f9e1defd8deb2fc61190ade453f.jpg


This stuff has been the nectar of the gods for all of the motorcycles I have ridden. It's the cleanest, highest octane(100) fuel I have ever used. And did I mention, free?

Now what am I going to do! I know that leaded fuel wreaks havoc with catalytic converters. But, 'LL' means low lead. Much lower than standard leaded fuels.

Are there other systems on this new-fangled CB that will be adversely affected by the 100LL?

I'm having a hard time not using that stuff in a bike. I'm still on my first tank of gas. It's 2/3rds unleaded, 1/3 100LL. And the bike rockets down the road...

So, I'm reaching out to you guys for opinions about mixing 100LL with unleaded fuel.

-Kirk Out
 
First, congrats on the new bike. It's a beauty.

I know little about fuel and octane ratings but my understanding is that there is no advantage in using a high octane fuel in a motor like the CB1100's that is designed to run efficiently on regular 87. To my knowledge, there is no engine knock sensor that would allow the motor to operate with more timing advance with higher octane fuel. I simply use 87 octane and rarely, ethanol free when practical.
 
Lead was added to fuel to solve a problem with valve trains; modern engines do not need it and with testing on old marine engines; unleaded fuels are better for them. Avoid leaded gas.
 
JTK, does the Enterprise really run on AvGas? At warp speed?

Glad you're enjoying the new bike.
 
Even LL AVGAS has a considerable amount of lead. Personally I wouldn't use it. The higher octane rating is of no advantage as the CB does not have a high compression motor and pinging is not an issue. No more, and perhaps less, HP may be obtained. There is a risk of lead deposits damaging a head that is designed to run on unleaded fuel.

However you have used this with success previously so I leave it at that. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
I'd love one of those radar detectors but they attract big fines here in OZ. and I think the CB will rocket to your satisfaction on vehicle fuel.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Even LL AVGAS has a considerable amount of lead. Personally I wouldn't use it. The higher octane rating is of no advantage as the CB does not have a high compression motor and pinging is not an issue. No more, and perhaps less, HP may be obtained. There is a risk of lead deposits damaging a head that is designed to run on unleaded fuel.

However you have used this with success previously so I leave it at that. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
I'd love one of those radar detectors but they attract big fines here in OZ. and I think the CB will rocket to your satisfaction on vehicle fuel.
I followed JTK's link and looked at them. I saw they could connect to things via Bluetooth and wondered whether, if one were so inclined, one could conceal it amongst one's luggage and still have it chatter away to one? Or does the keen-eyed fuzz have detector detectors?
 
The little treasure referred to claims to be able to detect lasers. Adaptiv Technologies also offers a laser jammer, although I couldn't find the page.
 
Virtue for me, then.
 
Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia too.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies.

I've installed higher compression pistons in some bikes in the past and the blue juice has made a big difference for that application. I agree it has no place in modern engines. Psychological I guess. However, 100LL has no ethanol and a long shelf life. Nonetheless, unleaded 87 it is then!

Dylithium Crystals=Warp Speed! :rolleyes:

-Kirk Out

Update:This just happened at a local station. Lucky me!
fcf6b22d82d6006ba6c2e0c690868e1d.jpg
 
The CB's engine is mildly tuned and highly developed. AV gas won't do anything positive without a host of other engine and ECU mods, and even then, likely not worth it. If you're concerned about 'bad gas' or ethanol, a dollop of StaBil or Sea Foam regularly will take care of that. Of course, an eyedropper of Castrol R in the gas will give you that delicious, pungent throwback smell as you ride!
 
Thread starter
On my '79 CB, 6000rpm @ 75mph on the highway was the sweet spot. Real smooth. Around town the routine always favored higher rpm. It kept the charging system operating well and the engine just ran smoother that way. Many CB DOHC guru's on various forums often spoke about tickling the redline once daily to 'blow out the crud'. So, I always avoided 'lugging it' if at all possible.

In comparison on the CB1100, at 75mph it's at 3500rpm. 6th gear, yea, nice. But overall it seems that keeping rpms low on this bike is the norm. It just feels wrong to me. I found this page in the owners manual puzzling...
3dc73cd2b3fdb1548d6a6d4b483abd67.jpg


(notice the typo?) So they're telling me that I should be at 28mph when downshifting from 6th to 5th? Huh? Or, I should shift into 6th gear at 37mph. Uummm, OK?

How do you folks ride this bike?

-Kirk Out
098cbb49b28f376fb55ebc92fac126b5.gif
 
jamestkirk_imp said:
Thanks for the replies.

I've installed higher compression pistons in some bikes in the past and the blue juice has made a big difference for that application. I agree it has no place in modern engines. Psychological I guess. However, 100LL has no ethanol and a long shelf life. Nonetheless, unleaded 87 it is then!

Dylithium Crystals=Warp Speed! :rolleyes:

-Kirk Out

Update:This just happened at a local station. Lucky me!
fcf6b22d82d6006ba6c2e0c690868e1d.jpg
Good choice. The 'LL" in 100LL means it has a lower lead content than the old 100/130 green aviation gas. 100LL actually has several times more tetraethyl lead than old leaded car gas.

It doesn't just destroy the cat, but also will kill the O2 sensors almost immediately.

Lastly, the relatively low compression engine on the CB11 gets no benefit from the higher octane. If my experience with my old O-300 powered Cessna is any guide, the lower temperatures and pressures of the low compression engine will lead to unburned lead deposits accumulating on the exhaust valves.

About 25 years ago, when low octane (red) avgas disappeared I was having valve work done almost every year running 100LL in the O-300. Conversely, I had a '69 ragtop Mercury with a high compression 429 that would ping on premium 92 octane (it was designed for 99 octane premium, which was no longer available). By running the Cessna on 87 octane car gas and the Mercury on 100LL aviation gas, all of my problems were solved. The right fuel for the right engine.
jamestkirk_imp said:
On my '79 CB, 6000rpm @ 75mph on the highway was the sweet spot. Real smooth. Around town the routine always favored higher rpm. It kept the charging system operating well and the engine just ran smoother that way. Many CB DOHC guru's on various forums often spoke about tickling the redline once daily to 'blow out the crud'. So, I always avoided 'lugging it' if at all possible.

In comparison on the CB1100, at 75mph it's at 3500rpm. 6th gear, yea, nice. But overall it seems that keeping rpms low on this bike is the norm. It just feels wrong to me. I found this page in the owners manual puzzling...
3dc73cd2b3fdb1548d6a6d4b483abd67.jpg


(notice the typo?) So they're telling me that I should be at 28mph when downshifting from 6th to 5th? Huh? Or, I should shift into 6th gear at 37mph. Uummm, OK?

How do you folks ride this bike?

-Kirk Out
098cbb49b28f376fb55ebc92fac126b5.gif
I hear 'ya. My (5 speed) '13 model runs 4250 at 75 mph in 5th and that seems low to me. I guess it just depends on what you're used to. I'm used to inline 4s that ran 5K or better at highway speed. As such, I often find myself going down the highway in 4th gear. I don't shift into 5th until 75mph or above. I suppose if I had a 6 speed, I'd never use the top gear unless I was planning some long distance cruising at 95 mph. :D

I think the recommendations in the book were written as a comedy exercise. We had a thread about it years ago and I don't think even the most conservative rider would shift at the recommended points.
 
I've nothing to add to Flynn's wisdom about the changes. Good pick up on the typo!
 
I'm probably one of the more conservative riders on the board. For the most part my bike lives in the 45-60 mph zone, and a lot of that, even at 45 mph, is in 6 th gear (between 2500 and 3500 rpms). My normal shift point is around 3000-3200 rpms, and my bike has never been over 5000 rpms, and never anywhere near redline to "blow the crud out". (What a hokey wives tale) but there is no problem running this engine to redline, either occasionally, or all the time for that matter. Engines are designed to run within a certain range and the range on this bike is from 2500-8000 rpms. It's ok to run this bike in any gear between those rpms (although it is electronically rpm limited in certain gears meaning you will not be able to run it at 8000 rpms in certain gears) but other than that, it will not harm this motor to run it anywhere between those rpms and it's not " better" for it to run it at any given rpm than another rpm in that range, and the only "crud" you are going to blow out of a modern engine is the crud in your head.

This bike is designed to run on 87 octane and up to 10% ethanol, and running that will not harm your motor unless the bike sits for extended periods of time without some gas stabilizer in it. Running a higher octane is useless, and a waste of money, but will not harm the motor. Running pure gas will not harm your motor either. These bikes will run 100,000 miles whether you run 10% ethanol or pure gas, whether you run 87 octane or 93 octane.

This is not just my opinion, it's all right there in the manual Honda gives you for the treatment and care of your motorcycle.

Modern materials, EFI systems, 02 sensors, ECUs etc are all engineered to keep this motor running basically no matter how you treat it, but applying 1970s automotive wives tales, and back yard garage procedures to 2015 engines is a waste of time. Times have changed, and so has engineering, and materials, and what your uncle or the local hot rod enthusiast, thought he knew in 1970, just no longer applies to modern motors or motorcycles. Engineers have learned a lot in the last 50 years, and what they have learned has been passed onto and into your CB1100.

Coming up on 20,000 miles no issues.
 
I frequent a near by gas station that sells unethanoled (is that a word?) high test - approx 93 octane. On the CB my seat of the pants dyno can't tell a difference. Same with my wife's CaAm Spyder - no change in performance.
Believe it or not my Ural - 1950's technology airhead - can tell a HUGE difference. Book says run hi-test in the Ural so I normally do.

After several tanks of ethanol free hi-test in the CB I switched back to what the book recommends. Those Honda engineers know their stuff. Less expensive gas means more time to ride.
 
When I first got my CB I tried 87, 89, and 92 octane gas in it and I found no difference whatsoever in performance. My other two bikes require 91 or above so that's what they get; the CB gets 87.
About 15 miles from me I could get 110 octane gas if I wanted to, but what's the use? (In case you're wondering, there's a dragstrip nearby this tiny town and one of the stations sells 110 at around six bucks a gallon.)
 
Back
Top