CB1100 EX tyres & wheels

Ol' RedJ_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all,

This is only my second post so if it’s too long winded please let me know!

My 2020 CB110 EX came with 140/70-R18 tyres, I now need a new one.
Has anyone fitted a 150/70-R18 tyre, with or without problems, and is it common for these wheels to buckle?
The bikes done 4,000 miles.
The rear tyre seems a little bit slim for my liking.
Also, has anyone gone tubeless on these rims without problems?

Any help appreciated.

John
:thanks:
 
A lot of us have 160 on the rear and 120 on the front. I have a 110 on my front but do have 160 on the back.

A number of members have gone tubeless on the spoke wheels after sealing the wheel. Do some searching and you will find the threads. No complaints from them even after a year or two of use.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
A lot of us have 160 on the rear and 120 on the front. I have a 110 on my front but do have 160 on the back.

A number of members have gone tubeless on the spoke wheels after sealing the wheel. Do some searching and you will find the threads. No complaints from them even after a year or two of use.
(+1) Two years now for me.

Alain Lee has some significant time and mileage on his CB1100 spoked rims.
 
Hi Ol' RedJ, my EX wheels are tubeless and there is absolutely no problem.
When it comes to bigger tires you have to understand that this does one and only one thing, they look bigger.
Anything else is a myth, don't bother with it unless you sell your EX and buy a HD.
 
Most of us went to larger rear because it was hard to find decent tyres in the stock size.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
A lot of us have 160 on the rear and 120 on the front. I have a 110 on my front but do have 160 on the back.

A number of members have gone tubeless on the spoke wheels after sealing the wheel. Do some searching and you will find the threads. No complaints from them even after a year or two of use.
When you say you've gone to 160 on the rear, is that 70 profile?
:thanks:
 
I converted my EX to tubeless and they have been exemplary, no problems whatsoever. Professionally done by BartFactory in Italy. Bart Factory Home page - Bart Factory

But when I had it done a couple of years back they had their website in English and Italian (not just a web browser conversion). The English choice no longer seems to be there and I assume since Brexit they do not want UK business as it is far to messy with shipping and export/import paperwork.

On a more positive note the UK just signed up to the Trans-Pacific Partnership yesterday and will be in place in the second half of 2024 so you will have direct, 100% tariff free, access to the Japanese market, including Samurider.com which may be of interest for other things.

I like the tyre size that comes standard and have Bridgestone T31's fitted in the stock size which Bridgestone support with/without a tube. A bit noisier than the Dunlop OEM mind. Get a wider tyre and you just have to lean more for the same bend too, watch how much less a little 125cc bike leans ahead of you in any given corner. You are also adding more unsprung weight. I know lots of people like the larger tyre though, each to their own.
 
Previous owner of my bike had install 180/55 18 and 120/70 18. I can definitely say this is a really bad idea as I was testing the bike and I accelerate and hit 180km/h when I felt the bike started to shake and the tail was moving from left to right abruptly.
 
Im surprised a 180 fit on the rear without contact with swingarm or centerstand foot
 
Ferret, I looked my bike over but couldn’t find the swongarm… :D
I did notice a 180 would be close to the inside front bracket for the chain guard. I’m not using it with the Plot guard and I guess it could be cut off. But it looks like with a too wide tire it would be like a knife to the tire. 160 is the max for me.
 
... I once rode a rear tire over 8000 miles (back in the ancestral days of "miles", not the low-calorie version of kilometers) with the sidewall tread rubbing (like squeaking) against the swingarm. The left side tire sidewall would be really hot after a day of riding.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ferret, I looked my bike over but couldn’t find the swongarm… :D
I did notice a 180 would be close to the inside front bracket for the chain guard. I’m not using it with the Plot guard and I guess it could be cut off. But it looks like with a too wide tire it would be like a knife to the tire. 160 is the max for me.
Clearly you’re not looking hard enough. It’s just next to the OEM encabulator. :P
 
Back
Top