CB1100 Dealer Order Availability In The US

suhawk305

Road warrior
Thread starter
Let me preface this thread that this maybe old news?
Often we get a new forum member who is looking to purchase a new CB1100. Of course we advise them there are new models in dealers’ inventories scattered across the US, etc. I have been tempted to advise them to see if local dealer could order one with some form of discount or incentive.

Today I stopped by my local Honda Motorsports Dealer and asked him (the owner) that question. He doubted it and then looked on his computer to see if any CB1100s are in Honda’s inventory available. He said there are none available, no 2014s and no 2017s! He even checked the years in between knowing there were none available to the US.

The parts manager was part of this conversation and said, with a smile on his face, “sell them yours” I responded no &$#$ing way! I love my CB! He knows, he owns a CB1100 also. I away remind him about our forum.
 
I was wondering the same thing.
 
A couple months ago, the dealer price of leftover 2014 standard models dropped dramatically dollars, and dealers scooped them up the same day. No more in any US warehouses, just in individual dealer inventories.

I remember the same thing happened one day on 1990 GB500s, and one dealer bought them all and shipped them to Europe.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Just because Honda's warehouse is empty, does this imply no dealers have bikes either?
No LR, I did not mean to imply that. My dealer did say other dealer may have one in their own inventory.
Sorry
 
My local dealer in DFW, Texas has a 2017 at msrp price, and a 2014 marked down to $6977 on their website. Not sure if they would negotiate down, but there are still some new ones out there.
 
The fact that there are no more 2017s that can be ordered by dealers is a surprise, given the rap the bike gets for being such a slow seller. Maybe this is good news and Honda will see fit to keep the CB1100 coming to the U.S. Some bikes on the Honda Powersports web site are already identified as 2019s, but the CB1100 is listed as a 2017. I am not sure what relevance that has, if any, on the question about the bike's future in the U.S.
 
apex1_imp said:
The fact that there are no more 2017s that can be ordered by dealers is a surprise, given the rap the bike gets for being such a slow seller. Maybe this is good news and Honda will see fit to keep the CB1100 coming to the U.S. Some bikes on the Honda Powersports web site are already identified as 2019s, but the CB1100 is listed as a 2017. I am not sure what relevance that has, if any, on the question about the bike's future in the U.S.
What relevance, if any? The fact that the CB1100 wasn't offered as a 2018 model (this, following a thorough refresh for the 2017 model) and isn't being listed as a 2019 offering ought to tell anyone all they need to know regarding Honda's feelings about the bike's future in the U.S.
 
on Cycle Trader there are several new 2017ex models available, some new 2014s, and even a new 2013. posted prices vary, of course, and probably have little to do with actual OTD prices.
 
Based on my experience of trying to find a DLX a few years ago, I don't think the dealer ads on CycleTrader are necessarily "real time." I found lots of ads for DLX's back then but a phone call would quickly reveal the specific bike was no longer available, nor were any DLX's available in Honda's warehouse. But they did have Standards. Now THAT'S "bait and switch!"
 
VLJ_imp said:
apex1_imp said:
The fact that there are no more 2017s that can be ordered by dealers is a surprise, given the rap the bike gets for being such a slow seller. Maybe this is good news and Honda will see fit to keep the CB1100 coming to the U.S. Some bikes on the Honda Powersports web site are already identified as 2019s, but the CB1100 is listed as a 2017. I am not sure what relevance that has, if any, on the question about the bike's future in the U.S.
What relevance, if any? The fact that the CB1100 wasn't offered as a 2018 model (this, following a thorough refresh for the 2017 model) and isn't being listed as a 2019 offering ought to tell anyone all they need to know regarding Honda's feelings about the bike's future in the U.S.
That's what a lot of folks said back in 2015, and then 2017 came along.

If it's true that there are no more CB1100 leftovers in the warehouses (which I suspect is the case with the recent '14 model sell off), I think it's possible that Honda may see fit to bring it back in '19. Historically, they haven't announced U.S. availability for the CB1100 until late in the year.
 
I still think its a shame Honda doesn't promote or advertise anything but the new Goldwing. The CB is an amazinly competent motorcycle that still 9 years after its introduction I run into experienced motorcyclists when out riding that have no idea Honda makes a motorcycle like this. If this is the end of the line for the CB's, all I can say is

I'VE GOT MINE!
 
Well, there are still three models of CB1100 being offered on Honda's Japanese web site, which makes me thing they're still being made.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Well, there are still three models of CB1100 being offered on Honda's Japanese web site, which makes me thing they're still being made.
I suspect they'll keep producing them until Euro 5 standards come into effect in the 2020 model year. Where they will decide to sell them is the big question.
 
I looked hard for CB1100s in Northern VA over the last month. I found half a dozen '17 EX models at dealerships, and exactly one used '13 Cb1100. The dealership I bought from had two '17EXs, but no one else had more than one. Every place I called was very anxious to sell their CB1100, but that did not always mean they were willing to give much of a discount. Oddly, some refused to budge on the price at all. The dealership I finally chose told me they lost more than $1,500 on the sale. Given all this, if I were a motorcycle dealership, I would be very reluctant to accept any new model CB1100.

When I had the chance, I asked the dealer what was the most popular motorcycle they sold. Almost always, the answer was the Kawasaki Nija 600/650. This says a lot about why the CB1100 is hard to sell. If the majority of bikers come looking for an inexpensive but quick sportsbike, they are not likely to pay twice as much for a CB1100, which is none of those things.
 
It's a hard sell, too few people here in the US actually interested in this standard look. New young folks getting into this look at the sport bikes, or more "modern" design. Older folks looking to start riding tend to only look at cruisers, esp. HD. I bought the bike because of it's retro look, I was riding in the 70's but too young for a CB750 at the time. BUT, I think the bike is way overpriced for what it is and would have never bought one at $10-$12,000 ... this is a $8000 cycle at best. The only reason I have one now is I was looking for a used reasonable priced one online and came across this 2014 sell off and got a new one for $5995.

Some of these bike's prices are just a bit much.... I have a 2004 CBR 1000 RR I bought new for about $10,000 then... with the SV650 trade I had, it cost me cash about $6000. Today, a new CBR is $16,000... I wouldn't even remotely consider buying one today. My Goldwing new in 2008 was $25,000. Today you can buy a new 2018 for ....... $25,000.

If Honda wants to continue to sell this bike in the U.S. it's going to have to lower the price and focus on it being an entry level bike with a larger than typical engine for folks who are "entry" level. But, I think the design is not appealing to the next generation, likely Honda will stop producing them for the U.S. market. Unfortunate....
 
Agree, well said.
It has to be a tasteful/economical upgrade for people who want to get back into biking after a few decades


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top