CB1100 compared to recent Nighthawk 750

keithert_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I've been looking at the CB1100 and also the nineties Nighthawk 750. The Nighthawk is appealing because they are cheap and reliable. I rode a friends Nighthawk last night. The 750 had as much power as I would ever need so the 1100 would likely be overkill. What I did not care for about the Nighthawk was the seating position. It felt like I had to really lift my feet to get them on the pegs. Also the riding position felt leaned forward like a sportbike, not like a standard. How does the CB1100 compare in respect to the seating position? I'm looking for the bolt upright riding position that the 80s UJMs usually had. I'm 6 foot tall and don't want to feel cramped. My usual bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. It fits me well but I'm looking for something lighter and quicker.
 
Later Nighthawks had hydraulic adjusted valves; I'd very seriously consider one. I don't think the power is all that different but the ergo's may favor 750 in your case. Between seats and lowered pegs there are options for you. On the down side (and only if you don't ride much), the 750 uses carbs and the 1100 uses EFI. I much prefer EFI today.
 
One of the bikes I sold to get my CB 1100 was my 2000 Nighthawk 750. I owned the Nighthawk 7 years (along with 4 or 5 other bikes and put about 25,000 miles on it. It was a nice bike. The good..hydraulic valves, and I believe the drum rear brake actually worked better than my 1100 disc rear brake. There is no epa crap and the bike is easily serviced by the owner. The bad the 750 has a poor front brake compared to the 1100 and it has a little less power. With the 750 it felt like I was always riding it harder than I liked. It didnt help that one of the other bikes in my stable was a 2001 FZ 1 with much more horsepower and much better braking...and much better handling. I put a fork brace and rear shocks on the Nighthawk which helped.

The Nighthawk 750 did not exactly have 70s UJM ergos, but it was close. Very much like the CB 1100. The footpeg position was a little more forward on the 750. The 1100s are higher and further back. With both bikes tire choices are very limited, as are accessories at this point.

Its true that you can find a used 750 NH for about $8K less than a new 1100, and if you are just using it for transportation it 's hard to fault. You are buying a bike with 10 to 20 year old ( depending on year of NH) electronics, shocks, for seals etc, and you have no idea if/ how it was maintained/ treated over the decades. Buy used and you are rolling the dice. Not bad if you are mechanically inclined, horrible if you are not and something goes wrong. Sometimes its nice having a NEW motorcycle with a warranty.
 
I'm currently riding one of each. I rode the CB750 yesterday and I'm riding the CB1100 today. Not sure which one I'll ride tomorrow.

With regard to the ergos, they are very similar. The CB1100's footpegs are just a bit farther back than the CB750. Maybe an inch. As far as I can tell, peg height on both is about the same. I really don't see a great deal of difference in the ergos between the two. I owned quite a number of UJMs in the past and as far as riding position goes, both the CB750 and CB11 are pretty similar. YMMV, but I've never heard anyone else compare the Nighthawks riding position to that of a sportbike. I bought mine specifically because of the upright, standard riding position I was used to from my UJM days.

I consider the CB1100 to be sort of a Super Nighthawk. It's got all the things I love about the Nighthawk, with more power, greatly improved brakes and better suspension (and, of course, a much higher price tag).

I've only had the CB11 for 5 months, so I can't say much about the reliability, other than I've had zero issues with it. On the other hand, I bought the Nighthawk brand new 17 yrs. ago and it has been bulletproof. Other than replacing consumables (oil, tires, chains, etc...) it hasn't required any other maintenance,,,except for a stripped spark plug hole that I caused :(

Overall, I think both bikes are pretty similar when compared with everything else on the market. If you're looking for cheap and reliable, the Nighthawk may be your best bet. If you want upgraded performance, modern engine controls (EFI/ECU) and nearly flawless fit/finish (and you're willing to part with $$$s), the CB1100 may do the trick.

If the ergos are an issue, consider a higher seat, lower pegs, different bars. You can tailor either one of these to fit your needs.
 
If that Nighthawk felt like a sportbike to you I'd be asking the quiest "has this bike been modified?". I.E. lower handlebars or different pegs or whatever because in its stock form it is FAR from a sportbike riding possition.
I traded my 93 Nighthawk in on my CB1100 and I miss the hydraulic valves, but I can live with that. This CB is a better bike all around if you asked me. The one thing that bugs me (but only a little) it the fact that they actully engineered vibration into the bike with the cam timing. I think it would have been better off perfectly smooth, but it's only a VERY MINOR amount, so don't let that scare you off from it.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
If that Nighthawk felt like a sportbike to you I'd be asking the quiest "has this bike been modified?". I.E. lower handlebars or different pegs or whatever because in its stock form it is FAR from a sportbike riding possition.
I traded my 93 Nighthawk in on my CB1100 and I miss the hydraulic valves, but I can live with that. This CB is a better bike all around if you asked me. The one thing that bugs me (but only a little) it the fact that they actully engineered vibration into the bike with the cam timing. I think it would have been better off perfectly smooth, but it's only a VERY MINOR amount, so don't let that scare you off from it.
When I last test rode a NH back in 2002 I remember having a back ache the next day from leaning forward. The cruisers I'd been riding didn't have that position. Now one of my bikes is an XT225 dual-sport bike so I'm used to both upright and laid back riding positions. Many years ago I had a Kawasaki Concours. I absolutely hated the weight on wrists riding position it had.

I've thought about the timing thing too when I read about it. The Nighthawk has such a nice smooth engine I hope they didn't mess that up.
 
Hi guys;

I am thinking of adding another Honda to my stable, and the CB1100 is on my short list! I want a larger displacement motorcycle for longer highway rides.

I like everything about the CB1100 except for the lack of hydraulic valves. I currently ride a mint 2001 Nighthawk, and I am wondering if I should keep it or sell it (what did you do?). Is the CB1100 a true improvement/replacement over the CB750, or do they compliment each other? My Nighthawk is bone stock, with the exception of a beautiful 4-1 Supertrapp exhaust system, Progressive springs up front, some key OEM add-ons, and a Corbin seat. Braking is decent now, especially after a full rebuild of the front master cylinder, but they lack compared to modern setups. It produces about 80 hp at the crank with the Supertrapp installed. Overall, I am happy with the performance, but I would like a bit more low-down torque, hence the reason for my interest in the CB1100. I could use the money to put towards the CB1100, but I worry about "giving it away".

1c02f1d3c696ca5e66f73fe46370627a.jpg

d7aa7c18c09062874d291f8f03a0f8dc.jpg

Oh one other point... my Nighthawk is only 5-speed, and I find that the engine is revving fairly high at highway speeds... and this is another reason why I am craving a larger displacement motorcycle. What rpms are you turning at say 120 km/hr? Sorry I don't have the mph conversion. Thanks!
 
My initial reaction; you'll sell the Nighthawk once you get the CB1100. Mainly because the CB1100 motor is so torquie. Lack of hydraulic valve adjustment is a negative but it really looks like it is a paper dragon as the valves don't need actual adjustment all that often. If it had shaft drive it would be a real bonus!

Plus the brakes on this bike are very very nice. The frame is made from large diameter tubing so I strongly suspect the handling will be superior to the older 750.

Nothing against your 750, but time marches on and there are many improvements.
 
noytacccp_imp said:
Hi guys;

I am thinking of adding another Honda to my stable, and the CB1100 is on my short list! I want a larger displacement motorcycle for longer highway rides.

I like everything about the CB1100 except for the lack of hydraulic valves. I currently ride a mint 2001 Nighthawk, and I am wondering if I should keep it or sell it (what did you do?). Is the CB1100 a true improvement/replacement over the CB750, or do they compliment each other? My Nighthawk is bone stock, with the exception of a beautiful 4-1 Supertrapp exhaust system, Progressive springs up front, some key OEM add-ons, and a Corbin seat. Braking is decent now, especially after a full rebuild of the front master cylinder, but they lack compared to modern setups. It produces about 80 hp at the crank with the Supertrapp installed. Overall, I am happy with the performance, but I would like a bit more low-down torque, hence the reason for my interest in the CB1100. I could use the money to put towards the CB1100, but I worry about "giving it away".

1c02f1d3c696ca5e66f73fe46370627a.jpg

d7aa7c18c09062874d291f8f03a0f8dc.jpg

Oh one other point... my Nighthawk is only 5-speed, and I find that the engine is revving fairly high at highway speeds... and this is another reason why I am craving a larger displacement motorcycle. What rpms are you turning at say 120 km/hr? Sorry I don't have the mph conversion. Thanks!
I noticed yesterday the CB1100 in 5th gear doing 70MPH was at 4K RPM's.
The 2014 model has a 6th gear which should bring that down quite a bit.
 
120 kph works out to 75 mph. My Nighthawk 750 is turning 5,000 rpm in 5th gear at that speed. My CB11 turns 4,200 rpm in 5th gear.

Personally, I think 5K rpm on the Nighthawk is the sweet spot in the power band. If you really want to lower the rpm a 16 tooth front sprocket will take it down to about 4,600 rpm at 75mph.

I kept my Nighthawk when I got the CB11. After 17 yrs., I couldn't bear to part with it. My riding is pretty evenly split between the Nighthawk and the CB11.
 
I just got a 750 Nighthawk this winter and have finally been able to really put some miles on it. I put about 125 on it today and when I got home I thought to myself I like this thing more and more every time I ride it. What scares me is how I would like a CB11 if I ever rode one.

I did put a 16 tooth on mine and at 4500 which is where I tend to keep it on the parkways and interstates I am at about 71-72-73 mph give or take. It pulls it just fine. I can tell there is some slight loss of acceleration but its minimal and suits my riding style better.

For the money a NH is a bargain hard to beat. For all out best standard ever the 1100 cant be beat in my opinion. I am very very happy with my NH but in the very back of my mind is an 1100 lurking. The one thing about the 11 I so wish I had was fuel injection. My carbs work great. Starts good, runs good, idles good, but can be a bit tricky to start when its between hot and cold. That is life with carbs even when they are dialed in almost perfectly and mine are I think. A little more power would not hurt either even though the 750 hauls pretty darn good.

All of the things that the 11 is better at adds up but it adds up to a bigger price tag too. If I could afford one I would probably trade up but there is nothing wrong with a NH750. Its the next best thing imo to the 11.
 
That is a beautiful nighthawk. If you decide to "give it away" I'll take it. However I would advise you to keep it.
 
That's tough
Your bike is so nice. But I recently let a similar bike go. Felt it went to a good home. I refused to sell to to some squid.
It will likely be hard for you to let her go but you will love the new cb and quickly forget.
Just don't give it away for less than u should.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
From my research here, the big differences seem to be modern intake, better braking, a bit more power, and slightly better handling with the CB1100. I can't imagine "fit and finish" being better on the CB1100. My Nighthawk looks like it rolled off a showroom floor... and our weather here is brutal. Honda did good work on the Nighthawk finishing, and I suspect the CB1100 would be the same.

As I noted earlier, I did address the front brakes by rebuilding the front master cylinder (easy) and added new fluid. It helped immensely, but yes, they aren't "stoppie" material. Funny, the rear drum works great, and in fact, works just as good as the rear discs on every modern motorcycle I've owned in the past. The plus to the brakes on the Nighthawk is simplicity: it's dead easy to adjust the rear drum, and super dead easy to bleed a single disc up front! My last ride was a 2001 BMW K1200RS... think "servo assist" brakes with countless bleed nipples! No thanks.

I have never been blown away by the handling on any modern standard (I chose comfort and upright riding position over a torture rack for a reason), but adding Progressive springs up front made a world of difference. In fact, I will add Progressive springs to every motorcycle I own on a go-forward basis.

With the Supertrapp full system exhaust, I noticed a marked improvement in top end hp. She's putting out a respectable 80 hp on top (a gain of 5 hp). The trick to tuning with the Supertrapp discs is to ensure no loss of bottom end torque. 7 or 8 discs seems to be the magic number (sounds good too). Overall, very happy with power. More torque, however, is always nice. Another point worth noting is that the factory boat anchors weigh exactly 28.9 pounds more than the Supertrapp system. A big weight savings!

Overall, I don't think my Nighthawk loses much against the new CB1100, but as others have said, "time marches on", and modern technology certainly makes life easier. While my carbs have never been an issue, using a choke lever during cold morning start-ups is an extra step I don't particularly love. I would also like a sixth gear to bring down rpms at highway speeds (partly to maintain fuel efficiency). I suppose a 16-tooth sprocket is a cheaper solution.

Having said all that, I think I will test ride a '13 CB1100 (as they're on sale now), and if I like it, I will buy it. I also decided to keep my '01 Nighthawk and use it for lighter runs and local city riding. If my Nighthawk was more worn or beaten, and didn't have all the OEM add-ons or the Supertrapp, I think I would have sold it. Perhaps I will sell it down the road... but it has remained in my garage long after other more expensive and sophisticated motorcycles have come and gone... we'll see.

Last question to you all... what kind of mileage are you getting?

I am averaging 42 to 45 mpg. I suspect with FI you are getting better numbers?
 
Back
Top