CB1100 and this wonderful engine...

avsbezzy_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Well, some may not agree but after taking the time to take detailed pictures of the engine, I think there was a lot of research and development done. Look at the fins, placed in the tiniest of spaces, the air flow holes between cylinders. This came to my attention as I am riding in South Florida urban traffic. Long red lights can get any bike hot, My HD softail, my Vaquero, my DRZ, the SV 650...But in this case, the heat not being too bad is dissipated rather quickly the moment you start moving. even between 2 lights. I can also feel the hot air if there is a side wind. This is with jeans and running shoes. None of my previous bikes were cooling that fast. The vaquero would burn me once the fan for the liquid cooled engine started. Kept the bike 1 month. Hated it.
That brought me to be more interested in the design of "air vents"...I think it is brilliant...please add comment, links, video, etc...

Between cylinder 2 and can chain..
b5d5c2d7a30c5bc4c60010172d744555.jpg


cooling holes vertical by plugs
ebdee2fb8cd8509f5c80f7b25d6d713f.jpg


between 1 and 2
251b7ba888fea700a856c7770a2a73a0.jpg


fins everywhere.
cb16aeeb028b17c62d9eb6bc5033b757.jpg


spark plug support
f321f4affc340047b79a9fb565ca30c8.jpg


extra fins
e2d7b7711f7a3551e8915be2ed77c26d.jpg


d9a31c9d73a85b922d2451b311b98b3e.jpg


quite a great piece.
 
The engine should always be the centerpiece of a properly engineered motorcycle and the CB1100 is a honey. This is an excellent motor with plenty of usable power and fuel mileage. It's easy on the eyes also. Good pics!
 
Most people know the CB engine is the first new large air-cooled unit Honda has produced in decades, but the development was a major investment in time and money. According to the video Honda produced featuring the engineers who designed the CB, they had to create a new casting process to make the cooling fins as wide and as thin as they are. No other engine has ever had anything like them. They also spent many hours sweating over details like at what angle each bank of fins should be place for both cooling effect and esthetics, the relationship of the rocker covers to the heads, etc. etc.

I used to have a link to the video, but here's a lot of the same information in text and photos:
Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Most people know the CB engine is the first new large air-cooled unit Honda has produced in decades, but the development was a major investment in time and money. According to the video Honda produced featuring the engineers who designed the CB, they had to create a new casting process to make the cooling fins as wide and as thin as they are. No other engine has ever had anything like them. They also spent many hours sweating over details like at what angle each bank of fins should be place for both cooling effect and esthetics, the relationship of the rocker covers to the heads, etc. etc.

I used to have a link to the video, but here's a lot of the same information in text and photos:
Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website
Been looking for that video today...It was pouring rain all day in Broward...
 
its just a thing of beauty... Honda took the pain to change their process to achieve these thin fins...
10ab16adca006aa8b1f14239ecfd1a3e.jpg

can look at it all day...just beautiful piece of engineering..
 
If only my headers looked like that all the time! The engine is a masterpiece. I do still get a bit transfixed looking at it; not bad after a year of ownership.
 
wildezt_imp said:
its just a thing of beauty... Honda took the pain to change their process to achieve these thin fins...
10ab16adca006aa8b1f14239ecfd1a3e.jpg

can look at it all day...just beautiful piece of engineering..

Really nice picture
 
Having been back from Austin and MotoGP for all of 15 minutes, I have a LOT of catching up to do. :excited:
I figured this thread would be a good place to ask this question............I want to polish the edges of the fins on the head only......................
Like Kawasaki did with the Z1. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Obviously I don't want it to look like a shade tree mechanic did it.
One more thing..................




AUSTIN ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate:
 
That is done by using a fine-grit sandpaper. Only issue might be it'll allow moisture under the coating and could cause the dark gunmetal color to bubble due to corrosion.
The ferret_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
its just a thing of beauty... Honda took the pain to change their process to achieve these thin fins...
10ab16adca006aa8b1f14239ecfd1a3e.jpg

can look at it all day...just beautiful piece of engineering..

Really nice picture

Really nice picture I think I have one of those in the garage.
 
avsbezzy_imp said:
The black engine looks more muscular! Like a Doberman. But another shot for the aficionados!
8686e31b0003fa583def73f725c6b04c.jpg
this is a great picture, nice lighting
just a thought that came to mind. are the fins the same fro m13 models to 14? doubt that changed.... but these 14s look different
 
Back
Top