CB cuts out while riding

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
At lunch I went and filled up the bike as much as possible. Had a pump that had a really good slow speed flow which allowed me to put it on the center stand and trickle the gas and filled up the tank as full as I've EVER had it. Used 91 Octane as I always do. Drove back to work and parked bike for 4 hours. after work came out and bike was sitting in the sun and afternoon heat topped out at 93 degrees. Started fine and took off but about a hundred yards down the road bike started to stutter and just died. Turned starter over and it slowly started back up. Revved it a couple of times and took off again. Once more it cut out. Coasted off to the side of the road and opened tank to release pressure/vapor lock?. Started bike again and took off and kept the RPMs a little higher. Drove the 8 miles home without incident.

Thoughts on cause? Anybody else have this happen?
 
Frulk_imp said:
At lunch I went and filled up the bike as much as possible. Had a pump that had a really good slow speed flow which allowed me to put it on the center stand and trickle the gas and filled up the tank as full as I've EVER had it. Used 91 Octane as I always do. Drove back to work and parked bike for 4 hours. after work came out and bike was sitting in the sun and afternoon heat topped out at 93 degrees. Started fine and took off but about a hundred yards down the road bike started to stutter and just died. Turned starter over and it slowly started back up. Revved it a couple of times and took off again. Once more it cut out. Coasted off to the side of the road and opened tank to release pressure/vapor lock?. Started bike again and took off and kept the RPMs a little higher. Drove the 8 miles home without incident.

Thoughts on cause? Anybody else have this happen?
I wanted to comment on this practice of topping the tank while the bike is on the centerstand prior to this post, but didn't. Wish I had.

Some owners do it and will state it is no problem and allows the tank to be filled to the maximum, which is good as the tank is small and every drop counts.

If they've never had a problem, so far so good.

However, the tank was not designed to be filled while vertical. There is an air space in the top of the tank which allows for expansion and if the tank is overfilled, fuel can flow into the evaporative control system and disrupt fueling. Uneven running and stalling are the result.

Sounds like that is what has occurred with your bike.

If you have a California bike this may be much more likely.

Sometimes, allowing the bike to sit overnight will take care of it once the fuel is dissipated, but sometimes the evaporative control canisters and system need to be disassembled as there is liquid fuel in the lines.

Sounds like your bike cleared the system and is OK now.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
At lunch I went and filled up the bike as much as possible. Had a pump that had a really good slow speed flow which allowed me to put it on the center stand and trickle the gas and filled up the tank as full as I've EVER had it. Used 91 Octane as I always do. Drove back to work and parked bike for 4 hours. after work came out and bike was sitting in the sun and afternoon heat topped out at 93 degrees. Started fine and took off but about a hundred yards down the road bike started to stutter and just died. Turned starter over and it slowly started back up. Revved it a couple of times and took off again. Once more it cut out. Coasted off to the side of the road and opened tank to release pressure/vapor lock?. Started bike again and took off and kept the RPMs a little higher. Drove the 8 miles home without incident.

Thoughts on cause? Anybody else have this happen?
I wanted to comment on this practice of topping the tank while the bike is on the centerstand prior to this post, but didn't. Wish I had.

Some owners do it and will state it is no problem and allows the tank to be filled to the maximum, which is good as the tank is small and every drop counts.

If they've never had a problem, so far so good.

However, the tank was not designed to be filled while vertical. There is an air space in the top of the tank which allows for expansion and if the tank is overfilled, fuel can flow into the evaporative control system and disrupt fueling. Uneven running and stalling are the result.

Sounds like that is what has occurred with your bike.

If you have a California bike this may be much more likely.

Sometimes, allowing the bike to sit overnight will take care of it once the fuel is dissipated, but sometimes the evaporative control canisters and system need to be disassembled as there is liquid fuel in the lines.

Sounds like your bike cleared the system and is OK now.
Wow, I would never have known this. Very interesting. I do generally fill up whilst on the prop stand, but for sure will now avoid the centre stand when I fill up. Thanks for this info :P
 
JustCruising_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
At lunch I went and filled up the bike as much as possible. Had a pump that had a really good slow speed flow which allowed me to put it on the center stand and trickle the gas and filled up the tank as full as I've EVER had it. Used 91 Octane as I always do. Drove back to work and parked bike for 4 hours. after work came out and bike was sitting in the sun and afternoon heat topped out at 93 degrees. Started fine and took off but about a hundred yards down the road bike started to stutter and just died. Turned starter over and it slowly started back up. Revved it a couple of times and took off again. Once more it cut out. Coasted off to the side of the road and opened tank to release pressure/vapor lock?. Started bike again and took off and kept the RPMs a little higher. Drove the 8 miles home without incident.

Thoughts on cause? Anybody else have this happen?
I wanted to comment on this practice of topping the tank while the bike is on the centerstand prior to this post, but didn't. Wish I had.

Some owners do it and will state it is no problem and allows the tank to be filled to the maximum, which is good as the tank is small and every drop counts.

If they've never had a problem, so far so good.

However, the tank was not designed to be filled while vertical. There is an air space in the top of the tank which allows for expansion and if the tank is overfilled, fuel can flow into the evaporative control system and disrupt fueling. Uneven running and stalling are the result.

Sounds like that is what has occurred with your bike.

If you have a California bike this may be much more likely.

Sometimes, allowing the bike to sit overnight will take care of it once the fuel is dissipated, but sometimes the evaporative control canisters and system need to be disassembled as there is liquid fuel in the lines.

Sounds like your bike cleared the system and is OK now.
Wow, I would never have known this. Very interesting. I do generally fill up whilst on the prop stand, but for sure will now avoid the centre stand when I fill up. Thanks for this info :P
Wow, I would never have known this. Very interesting. I do generally fill up whilst on the prop stand, but for sure will now avoid the centre stand when I fill up. Thanks for this info :P
You can fill it on the center stand, just fill it to the neck and don't try to pump a few extra tenths. I always filled my CB on the center stand.
 
Yes, its in the owners manual. Only fill to the neck. What Ulvetanna said can be the result.

Didn't we just have a member in France (I think France) that was gassing up and leaving the bike in the sun all day. He had fuel coming out the vent.
 
One the center stand and filled all the way up th the very base of the neck should be fine, even when it's hot out. I agree with others here that overfilling is the likely cause of your issue. I had something similar happen to me when I inadvertentally overfilled my tank. It didn't stall out, though, it just ran rough for a while.

Also, I gave up on 91 octane because I actually perceived a reduction in performance on very hot days. Probably my imagination, but my bike runs fine with 87 and saves me a few pennies. Oh..I have the yoshimura exhaust with the catalytic converter removed, which could contribute, I suppose, to both the overfilling and higher octane issues.
 
CIP57_imp said:
JustCruising_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
At lunch I went and filled up the bike as much as possible. Had a pump that had a really good slow speed flow which allowed me to put it on the center stand and trickle the gas and filled up the tank as full as I've EVER had it. Used 91 Octane as I always do. Drove back to work and parked bike for 4 hours. after work came out and bike was sitting in the sun and afternoon heat topped out at 93 degrees. Started fine and took off but about a hundred yards down the road bike started to stutter and just died. Turned starter over and it slowly started back up. Revved it a couple of times and took off again. Once more it cut out. Coasted off to the side of the road and opened tank to release pressure/vapor lock?. Started bike again and took off and kept the RPMs a little higher. Drove the 8 miles home without incident.

Thoughts on cause? Anybody else have this happen?
I wanted to comment on this practice of topping the tank while the bike is on the centerstand prior to this post, but didn't. Wish I had.

Some owners do it and will state it is no problem and allows the tank to be filled to the maximum, which is good as the tank is small and every drop counts.

If they've never had a problem, so far so good.

However, the tank was not designed to be filled while vertical. There is an air space in the top of the tank which allows for expansion and if the tank is overfilled, fuel can flow into the evaporative control system and disrupt fueling. Uneven running and stalling are the result.

Sounds like that is what has occurred with your bike.

If you have a California bike this may be much more likely.

Sometimes, allowing the bike to sit overnight will take care of it once the fuel is dissipated, but sometimes the evaporative control canisters and system need to be disassembled as there is liquid fuel in the lines.

Sounds like your bike cleared the system and is OK now.
Wow, I would never have known this. Very interesting. I do generally fill up whilst on the prop stand, but for sure will now avoid the centre stand when I fill up. Thanks for this info :P
Wow, I would never have known this. Very interesting. I do generally fill up whilst on the prop stand, but for sure will now avoid the centre stand when I fill up. Thanks for this info :P
You can fill it on the center stand, just fill it to the neck and don't try to pump a few extra tenths. I always filled my CB on the center stand.
If you are careful about it, and you ride the bike long enough to draw it down enough to restore the air space, this can work.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yes, its in the owners manual. Only fill to the neck. What Ulvetanna said can be the result.

Didn't we just have a member in France (I think France) that was gassing up and leaving the bike in the sun all day. He had fuel coming out the vent.
Yes, I remember that. I'm pretty sure some US and especially CA bikes don't have that vent directly to atmosphere. State laws vary so I can't say for sure but a fuel tank vent to atmosphere is mostly a thing of the past.
 
I nearly always fill my bike on the centre stand and I've never had such a problem. Interesting information, though.
 
Good post and helpful responses. I, too, fill while on the center stand and am guilty of trying to get just a little more in than I probably should. Mine is a California model and I've never had a problem. Still, this is the perfect excuse for me to stop wasting time at the gas pump and to just be content with getting it to the bottom of the neck.
 
Aren't our US bikes all 50 state bikes? Have to check my sticker again when I get home.
 
Thread starter
Rode to work this AM in cooler temps with no problems. Bike ran fine! I really did fill it about as full as you could get it then the metal tank sat in a hot sun for several hours in the low 90s. Won't be doing that again.
 
BayArea and Redbirds, I'm pretty sure they all have the evaporative recovery system (US at least). Have to do some looking in the service manual and at my bike.

Frulk, glad to hear you bike is ok now!
 
I usually only fill to the bottom of filter neck but I have over filled, Heck, I once filled it to the very top, (by accident) I never had a problem..... I also gave up on 91 octane, 87 does just fine.

Sent from me......
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Aren't our US bikes all 50 state bikes? Have to check my sticker again when I get home.
These days I don't know. CARB has its own set of regulations.

I know for some time a number of bikes were made 50-state because so many were sold in California. Which ones they may be, I can't say.
 
Redbirds, go to the right side of your bike. Right under the plastic air box cover is a bracket. Look under that bracket and you will see the canister behind the bracket. Kinda looks like a longesh oil filter.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Redbirds, go to the right side of your bike. Right under the plastic air box cover is a bracket. Look under that bracket and you will see the canister behind the bracket. Kinda looks like a longesh oil filter.
Went looking for it earlier and there it was. Looks like it would be easy to eliminate along with the air injection (pair valves).
 
Thread starter
Ok, last post from me on this issue. Rode back from work today with bike sitting all day under a blazing sun at 4,600 feet altitude and temps as high as 98 degrees. Started up fine. No sputter/hesitation. Didn't cut out/die. Ran like a champ all the way home for approx. 10 miles. Lesson learned. In HOT or even warm weather do not fill tank totally full on the center-stand.
 
Back
Top