GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
I use the kill switch all the time to ensure it still works. Just something I've practiced since riding inception. Thankfully, I have never had kill switch gear fail on me.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
That's funny...I go the other route. I never use it; I figure it's a part that can wear out, so why use it if you don't have to.GoldOxide_imp said:I use the kill switch all the time to ensure it still works. Just something I've practiced since riding inception. Thankfully, I have never had kill switch gear fail on me.
Glad you found the issue. This one is a bit frustrating.GeorgiaRider_imp said:This was exactly it. After flipping the kill switch about 50 times I finally heard the fuel pump activate and it cranked instantly. How hard was it to disassemble and clean?
He GeorgiaRider,Flynrider_imp said:He GeorgiaRider,GeorgiaRider_imp said:Thanks guys for the feedback. The kill switch is the first I double checked ... and in neutral with green N light on. I’ve tried all the normal things. I’m going to get a charger on it tomorrow and see if that does the trick.
I and a few others have had a problem with an intermittent kill switch (mine left me stranded on the side of the highway). The obvious issue is that you don't hear the fuel pump cycling when you turn the key. In my case, even after cycling the switch a few times, I still wasn't hearing the fuel pump. It eventually had to be disassembled and cleaned up.
The way to find out if the kill switch is the culprit is to watch the lights when you turn the key. Normally, this causes the oil temp, oil pressure and check engine lights to come on. After a few seconds, the oil temp and check engine light should turn off.
If the kill switch circuit is activated, after turning the key you'll hear no fuel pump activation and the oil temp and oil pressure lights will come on (NO check engine light). Both of the lights will remain illuminated.
It's a quick and easy test to elimate or pinpoint the kill switch circuit as the issue.
I and a few others have had a problem with an intermittent kill switch (mine left me stranded on the side of the highway). The obvious issue is that you don't hear the fuel pump cycling when you turn the key. In my case, even after cycling the switch a few times, I still wasn't hearing the fuel pump. It eventually had to be disassembled and cleaned up.
The way to find out if the kill switch is the culprit is to watch the lights when you turn the key. Normally, this causes the oil temp, oil pressure and check engine lights to come on. After a few seconds, the oil temp and check engine light should turn off.
If the kill switch circuit is activated, after turning the key you'll hear no fuel pump activation and the oil temp and oil pressure lights will come on (NO check engine light). Both of the lights will remain illuminated.
It's a quick and easy test to elimate or pinpoint the kill switch circuit as the issue.
Not me. I never use the kill switch, which was why I was baffled when mine went bad.The ferret_imp said:I was wondering if you gents that have had this issue normally use it for killing the bike?
I consider it an emergency off switch (always have) and have only used the key for turning my bikes off. I doubt if I have ever even flipped it on my CB1100 in 6 years.
lol - In theory, hopefully never!redbirds_imp said:I really detest kill switches as they are often a source of trouble. I've had a problem with mine when the bike was new and I inadvertently brushed it with a glove while riding and the motor suddenly quit. The switch was not turned off but after turning the switch off and back on the motor started. All the years I've ridden motorcycles I can never recall ever needing this useless device.

Yeah, seems that way.peterbaron_imp said:Too much drama about a little switch....![]()
