CB 1100 in Backcountry Utah??

widude

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hear me out first. My Son lives just South of Salt Lake, recently bought an Enduro. It’s a 300cc Kawasaki, nothing extravagant. I have time off in April, but more likely last half of June.

My idea was to go out, rent an enduro or ‘adventure bike’, starts at $250 a day. Talking to him, he has more gravel roads & trails in mind, even some rural paved roads. We’re not talking sand, mud, or rock climbing.

I did a lot of gravel road riding in the late 70’s with my CB-750, worked fine. With this plan we would also have my enclosed, two stall trailer. Without that, we’d have to drive from Riverton to the trail areas.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I was leaning to drive out anyway, stops along the way.

Can the CB handle semi-backcountry Utah? That’s my main question.

Any must do riding areas not to far from Salt Lake? Thanks.
 
I wouldn't take my CB into back country. The tires are road tires, and it doesn't have the suspension travel or the taller front wheel. Rent a KLR650 and ride it like you stole it! It will handle anything you throw at it. I used to have a Suzi DL1000 for back country jaunts, along with the CB for city riding, but I found I wasn't doing a lot of back country riding, so I parted with it when I moved.
 
Thread starter
Well, could still go either way, still leaning to taking the CB. Part of the reason, my enclosed, 2 place trailer would likely be very useful. Having the trailer would open up more riding areas, besides riding to them.

Also I really think we won’t be doing much more than gravel roads & trails, maybe slightly less. The plan is even some paved mountain roads.

As I mentioned, I’m no stranger to gravel roads on my CB-750 years ago.
 
Thread starter
I’m back, an update. Yes I took the CB out, for the most part it did great, 500+ miles worth. We were mainly on paved roads.

We did make it to the Mirror Lake area, almost 10,000’, partially closed.

There were 2 big negatives, one being trailering. I had a good ‘wheel chock’, tried to use additional ratchet straps. What one really needs is a firm arm from the cycle rack to the floor. I figured this out 1/2 way though, prior to that the bike fell over a few times.

I ended up using a 1.5”x1.5” wood with rubber bungee straps, improvised but held solid.

The 2nd issue was continuing on a wet forest service road after the gravel ran out. Beyond the gravel the muck was slick as ice, maybe worse.

Other than those issues, very excellent.
 
Very very cool! Bummer about the bike falling on the trailer…. Whodathunk that would be the biggest challenge in taking the CB off road!
 
If Ted Simon can travel around the world on a 70's 500 cc Triumph Tiger 100 for four years covering over 64,000 miles (103,000 km) through 45 countries I'm sure the CB can handle a few gravel roads - as you just proved!
 
I am having a hard time to believe what I am told to see. Not a dent on the pipes, after several drops ? She always fell on the left side I suppose...
 
sourdough44_imp said:
I’m back, an update. Yes I took the CB out, for the most part it did great, 500+ miles worth. We were mainly on paved roads.

We did make it to the Mirror Lake area, almost 10,000’, partially closed.

There were 2 big negatives, one being trailering. I had a good ‘wheel chock’, tried to use additional ratchet straps. What one really needs is a firm arm from the cycle rack to the floor. I figured this out 1/2 way though, prior to that the bike fell over a few times.

I ended up using a 1.5”x1.5” wood with rubber bungee straps, improvised but held solid.

The 2nd issue was continuing on a wet forest service road after the gravel ran out. Beyond the gravel the muck was slick as ice, maybe worse.

Other than those issues, very excellent.
Photo for 2024 calendar.
 
Well dang...not sure how this thread made it past me. I just rode the Mirror Lake Highway yesterday....was in great shape for the most part. Did a 260-280 mile loop through Utah into Wyoming and back into Utah. We went from south to north...coming through Kamas and going to Evanston for Lunch and then we knocked out Monte Cristo pass. High point was Bald Mt at 11,200.

I know its after the fact but the quality and difficulty of Utah gravel and dirt roads varies from pretty easy to world class technical. The only way to answer the OP's question accurately would be for him to provide specific routes he was considering.

I've had my CB on gravel but its something it really isn't designed for. However, if its all you got then its all you got...remember in the 70's when we didn't have all these specialized bikes for niche uses? Guys (and gals) rode Sportsters from coast to coast...and Bronson used his like an enduro...

As a side bar...Per my other thread about questions on what new tires everyone was using...The Angel Gt's were mounted at a cost of $179 on Monday. My buddy rode the CB yesterday and the Wyoming chip seal roads scrubbed them in nicely. He's going to ride it to the 2023 (annual) Broken Arrow Resort Guzzi Rally 30 miles north of Salmon, Idaho...I'll be on a Guzzi V7R. For once I'll be attending on the rally namesake marque.
 
Back
Top