Case paint - need a suggestion to match stock

skidmarkart_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Sigh.

I knocked my bike over in the driveway. Little was done except I managed to land the cooling fins right on the curb. Think I can sand out the issue, but does anyone know a paint that matches the stock engine paint on a 2013 well? Any advice would be appreciated.
 
I searched around on the board and could find nothing specific about the case paint. You might want to ask your dealer mechs and see what they use.
 
Most of the automotive stores have the Duplicolor caliper paint. Comes in a spray or brush on. It's a gloss finish and can take up to 500deg.

Good luck!
 
Thread starter
Okay, I can't seem to find anything either. Thanks for checking, though.

I swear I read something somewhere about Krylon or Duplicolor having a color that was a good match. Oh well, I have done this kind of thing before, I will definitely come back with a match. It may not be perfect, but I will find something good enough for a touch up that isn't glaringly obvious.

This I will start with a satin finish engine paint, and try to get something in the cast iron graphite side of things, my 2013 case is not exactly black, and seems like it might be a little metallic.
 
VHT SP405 Pearl black ceramic engine paint is a perfect match with the slightly metallic finish on the 2013 CB's engine cases and cylinder head. It is durable and dries to a semi matte finish that will not chip, lift, or peel off and is impervious to most chemicals once it has cured.

Fully approved by my OCD sense of well being.

I found it at my local O'Reilly's auto parts store.
 
Thread starter
Hi Roger, Thanks for the tip. I tried out a few last night as well. VHT Cast Iron is a no-go, too grey. Matte black is too matte, color isn't bad but the surface looks very different. VHT metallic black matched pretty well. Looks to be very slightly more brown thank our black cases, but I would not hesitate to use it for a small repair. Surface texture seemed pretty close too. Not sure if I would paint a big part of the engine with it though. I am going to test it out a bit more, it has potential thoiugh.

I will test out Black Pearl as well.
 
Thread starter
So, more test sprays this afternoon. Got the VHT metallic black on some metal I had primed and got it in the sunlight. Pretty much confirmed what I saw earlier, the "black" of VHT metallic black is more of a brown than our paint. The metal flake also has a multicolor quality (more so than ours, which seems more silver flake only. Surface looked pretty close in finish. I would totally use it for a small touch up, but it's probably not enough of a match for what I need. A rock chip, yes, I would totally use this. But I wouldn't do a big section of the motor with it. The hunt continues.
 
Thread starter
The great 2013 case paint test proceeds...

Through cold air, rain, and snow! Well, the snow is mostly for you Yankees. So, VHT Pearl Black Metallic is close too. It fits into the I would not hesitate to do a small repair with it, but it is blacker than our cases. VHT Metallic Black = too brown. VHT Metallic Pearl Black = too black. So, I figure the happy medium is some place in the middle. Having touched up about 20 bikes, I am thinking of spraying both into a jar, with equal time counts (maybe 3 seconds each) and seeing what the combined spray looks like. Then I touch up with a model brush. More info as I have it...
 
Skidmarkart,

I had the paint peeling issue on my 2013 at the spark plug adapter plates. I bought two brand new and they were actually chipped sealed in the plastic bags they came in. After carefully prepping the surfaces and feathering out the chipped paint, the SP405 VHT Pearl black looked to be a perfect match.

Your experience may have been different because the 2013 CB1100 sold on the East coast may have been painted the wrong engine color...lol..;)
 
Thread starter
Roger the shrubber_imp said:
Skidmarkart,

I had the paint peeling issue on my 2013 at the spark plug adapter plates. I bought two brand new and they were actually chipped sealed in the plastic bags they came in. After carefully prepping the surfaces and feathering out the chipped paint, the SP405 VHT Pearl black looked to be a perfect match.

Your experience may have been different because the 2013 CB1100 sold on the East coast may have been painted the wrong engine color...lol..;)
Well - not to say that my engine isn't the wrong color....

But they are both very close, but not perfect. I think most people would be happy with either, I just think the metallic black is a little bit closer. The part I am debating now is spraying it on the case directly for a better blend, of brushing it on.

I have had really good experience with VHT paint over the years. Especially on parts where I have either baked it on (I keed a sh**y thrift store toaster over in the garage for this, keeps the wifey happy), or put it on cases and covers and let it bake on. It's very durable stuff.
 
Thread starter
Okay, just a quick update...

The VHT metallic black is a nice match for our (2013 standard) case paint. It's not perfect, if you are totally OCD - but outside of a custom mix, I think it is a solid touch up paint. I tested 11-12 different iron/black/metallic sprays and this one was by far the best. You will not be able see the difference well at all (if you apply it well). If you put it right beside the factory paint, you can see it - but it isn't bad. I needed to coat the edges of some scraped fins and when you paint the whole fin, you really cannot see it well. The finish (surface) isn't a perfect match, but it is really close too. I was worried immediately after I put it on, but after baking onto the case for a few days, and washing a few times, it looks very nice. In very bright, direct sun, you can see a difference, but you have to be really close.

SO, in summary... if you aren't going the route of full custom mix, VHT metallic black is a decent touch up match. You will need to coat the entire area (shadow to shadow) if you want something that is almost unnoticeable.
 
I just picked up the vht sp405 and it does look a little darker but it is much more gloss than my 2013 engine fins are?
Does the paint dull up some with a little time?
I just touched up the spots and didn't spray the whole thing so it shows up quite a bit.
 
If you want an indistinguishable repair shoot the paint out of an airbrush. Just shooting it out of a can will just blow a bunch of paint on it. With an airbrush you can go light coats as you see the paint cover the damaged area. And it will also help is the surface is slightly warm,not hot.
 
Back
Top