Canadian UPS charges

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Last week I sold some CB 1000 parts to a guy in BC Canada , value $ 50 .
The USPS was $ 55 to send and UPS was $ 39 , of course I went with the UPS.
When the package was delivered the buyer had to pay a COD charge of 40 for handling and tax to get his package.
If I had used the USPS would they also charged that amount ? or only tax ?
It must be very costly to import things into Canada , I have bought thousands of dollars in MC parts and gear from Germany and Japan and never paid any import duty.
Peter or others : what is the scoop ?
 
EBay has started providing cheaper rates to Canada...what used to cost $50 was $18 yesterday.
You don't ship directly to the customer you ship it to an eBay consolidation center and then they must bulk ship them.
Of course you need to set up an ebay account and handle the transaction through that.
Never did understand why Canada cost as much as shipping to Europe and other places.
The duty rate I don't know about.
 
Thread starter
I have an ebay account for years and sold many mc parts and toy tractors thru ebay but this was a private sale thru the CB 1000 Forum based in the UK.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Last week I sold some CB 1000 parts to a guy in BC Canada , value $ 50 .
The USPS was $ 55 to send and UPS was $ 39 , of course I went with the UPS.
When the package was delivered the buyer had to pay a COD charge of 40 for handling and tax to get his package.
If I had used the USPS would they also charged that amount ? or only tax ?
It must be very costly to import things into Canada , I have bought thousands of dollars in MC parts and gear from Germany and Japan and never paid any import duty.
Peter or others : what is the scoop ?
UPS will usually charge a [hefty] "broker fee". If the item qualifies for GST/HST (taxes), that will be applied too.

USPS has a decent relationship with CanadaPost. From USPS GST/HST will be applied, and sometimes a wee handling fee (e.g. $5 or so, plus tax).

If an item comes direct from Hong Kong, usually it can pass directly to Canada without any tax, especially if the item originated/was manufactured there. If the same item went to the U.S. first then onto Canada, then full taxes are applied because the item was not manufactured in the U.S.

= = =

Items from say Italy or Germany direct to Canada experience usually just the GST/HST tax (if handled by CanadaPost at Border Customs), which is 13% in the province of Ontario.

Many times the sender from other country to Canada will include the GST/HST in the purchase price and the item will be delivered directly to Canada without further charges, especially if it is handled by CanadaPost.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Last week I sold some CB 1000 parts to a guy in BC Canada , value $ 50 .
The USPS was $ 55 to send and UPS was $ 39 , of course I went with the UPS.
When the package was delivered the buyer had to pay a COD charge of 40 for handling and tax to get his package.
If I had used the USPS would they also charged that amount ? or only tax ?
It must be very costly to import things into Canada , I have bought thousands of dollars in MC parts and gear from Germany and Japan and never paid any import duty.
Peter or others : what is the scoop ?
John, as you know, Canada is located on top of the US, like a penthouse apartament, therefore everything here is more expensive...the only thing we have cheaper here is medical/hospital ......and free snow :)
 
Thread starter
Do you get a free subscription to Penthouse magazine when you live in these Canadian Penthouse apartments ?
 
GO is correct, UPS are crooks, If I am not mistaken there is a Canadian lawsuit against them for this type of abuse.
I was caught with the same scam a few years earlier (2018) as GO mentioned (above) plus a double whammy on the exchange rate when I bought my Cruise Control from South Africa.

I will never ever use UPS again.
Regards
Alain
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
GO is correct, UPS are crooks, If I am not mistaken there is a Canadian lawsuit against them for this type of abuse.
I was caught with the same scam a few years earlier (2018) as GO mentioned (above) plus a double whammy on the exchange rate when I bought my Cruise Control from South Africa.

I will never ever use UPS again.
Regards
Alain
Alain: RE Cruise - Kaoko?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
GO is correct, UPS are crooks, If I am not mistaken there is a Canadian lawsuit against them for this type of abuse.
I was caught with the same scam a few years earlier (2018) as GO mentioned (above) plus a double whammy on the exchange rate when I bought my Cruise Control from South Africa.

I will never ever use UPS again.
Regards
Alain
Alain: RE Cruise - Kaoko?
Alain: RE Cruise - Kaoko?
Yes, the it was the Kaoko cruise control.
In theory it's design is perfect, however, in practice it is not great.
I am not happy with it - May be I will remove it during this upcoming winter.
egards
Alain
 
^^+1^^, had Kaoko on my '13, and didn't bother transferring to my existing '14 model, "not so great in practice"
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
GO is correct, UPS are crooks, If I am not mistaken there is a Canadian lawsuit against them for this type of abuse.
I was caught with the same scam a few years earlier (2018) as GO mentioned (above) plus a double whammy on the exchange rate when I bought my Cruise Control from South Africa.

I will never ever use UPS again.
Regards
Alain
Alain: RE Cruise - Kaoko?
Alain: RE Cruise - Kaoko?
Yes, the it was the Kaoko cruise control.
In theory it's design is perfect, however, in practice it is not great.
I am not happy with it - May be I will remove it during this upcoming winter.
egards
Alain
Hey, ya. I recently added it and I think it is simple in concept and effective. Used it on the weekend and enjoyed its stability and ease of use. Short of electronic, which can be fiddly, it is better than cheaper alternatives.

 
I have bar-end mirrors so Kaoko was not an option, however I got the little throttle lock clamp, Aliexpress special, and I'm actually quite happy with it, works alright especially in long stretches of highway. It used to slip a bit at first but after some time of using it I guess the grip finally got to it's max density so it just holds. And for me it's not just about getting the hand off the throttle, but instead using just a few degrees of twist rather than 2/3 of the travel provides significant relief on longer stretches

And before you say it, yes, I know it's hideous, but it serves a purpose so I don't care
aa5c37ef49419b27e4121d3eec9adc43.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I have bar-end mirrors so Kaoko was not an option, however I got the little throttle lock clamp, Aliexpress special, and I'm actually quite happy with it, works alright especially in long stretches of highway. It used to slip a bit at first but after some time of using it I guess the grip finally got to it's max density so it just holds. And for me it's not just about getting the hand off the throttle, but instead using just a few degrees of twist rather than 2/3 of the travel provides significant relief on longer stretches

And before you say it, yes, I know it's hideous, but it serves a purpose so I don't care
aa5c37ef49419b27e4121d3eec9adc43.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I used something similar to that on the CB1100 and other bikes.
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I have bar-end mirrors so Kaoko was not an option, however I got the little throttle lock clamp, Aliexpress special, and I'm actually quite happy with it, works alright especially in long stretches of highway. It used to slip a bit at first but after some time of using it I guess the grip finally got to it's max density so it just holds. And for me it's not just about getting the hand off the throttle, but instead using just a few degrees of twist rather than 2/3 of the travel provides significant relief on longer stretches

And before you say it, yes, I know it's hideous, but it serves a purpose so I don't care
aa5c37ef49419b27e4121d3eec9adc43.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yes, that's the version I am thinking of getting from AliExpress.
Which vender did you pick from AliExpress?
Regards
Alain
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I have bar-end mirrors so Kaoko was not an option, however I got the little throttle lock clamp, Aliexpress special, and I'm actually quite happy with it, works alright especially in long stretches of highway. It used to slip a bit at first but after some time of using it I guess the grip finally got to it's max density so it just holds. And for me it's not just about getting the hand off the throttle, but instead using just a few degrees of twist rather than 2/3 of the travel provides significant relief on longer stretches

And before you say it, yes, I know it's hideous, but it serves a purpose so I don't care
aa5c37ef49419b27e4121d3eec9adc43.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yes, that's the version I am thinking of getting from AliExpress.
Which vender did you pick from AliExpress?
Regards
Alain
Yes, that's the version I am thinking of getting from AliExpress.
Which vender did you pick from AliExpress?
Regards
Alain Seller Info
Verkäuferinformation

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I have bar-end mirrors so Kaoko was not an option, however I got the little throttle lock clamp, Aliexpress special, and I'm actually quite happy with it, works alright especially in long stretches of highway. It used to slip a bit at first but after some time of using it I guess the grip finally got to it's max density so it just holds. And for me it's not just about getting the hand off the throttle, but instead using just a few degrees of twist rather than 2/3 of the travel provides significant relief on longer stretches

And before you say it, yes, I know it's hideous, but it serves a purpose so I don't care
aa5c37ef49419b27e4121d3eec9adc43.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yes, that's the version I am thinking of getting from AliExpress.
Which vender did you pick from AliExpress?
Regards
Alain
Yes, that's the version I am thinking of getting from AliExpress.
Which vender did you pick from AliExpress?
Regards
Alain Seller Info
Verkäuferinformation

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yes, that's the version I am thinking of getting from AliExpress.
Which vender did you pick from AliExpress?
Regards
Alain Seller Info
Verkäuferinformation

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Thanks for the info :banana:
 
Back
Top