run-tmc_imp
Running like a top
+1 on US 12 in Idaho, amazing road!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Welcome to my back yard!offroadfx4_imp said:Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in June/July.
Going through Ontario--Manitoba--Saskatchewan--Alberta--British Columbia
Has anyone ever been?
Suggested Roads, Hotels, Sites to see?
From what I see the road choices are limited.
![]()

Arguably. It is however just another heuristic and rather approximate solution of the old NP-hard Canadian Rocky Mountains Motorcyclist problemGoldOxide_imp said:That's a pretty solid Calgarian Menu rotor. Arguably the best in Canada.

I was born in Calgary and grew up west of the city. I know the roads intimately. DM me if you want and I can try to give you some insider tips.offroadfx4_imp said:Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in June/July.
Going through Ontario--Manitoba--Saskatchewan--Alberta--British Columbia
Has anyone ever been?
Suggested Roads, Hotels, Sites to see?
From what I see the road choices are limited.
![]()
Better to read the Owner's Manual instructions on how to change the mileage units on the instrument display from miles to kilometers.rotor_imp said:Welcome to my back yard!offroadfx4_imp said:Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in June/July.
Going through Ontario--Manitoba--Saskatchewan--Alberta--British Columbia
Has anyone ever been?
Suggested Roads, Hotels, Sites to see?
From what I see the road choices are limited.
![]()
Once you hit Calgary (coming from Parts East), there is a large number of variants, of which I would be inclined to suggest the following:
[ul] [li]Calgary, west on 1 (TransCanada), to[/li] [li]Lake Lousie, side trip to Moraine Lake, then north on 93, to[/li] [li]Jasper, then west on 16 (Yellowhead HWY), to[/li] [li]Mc Bride-Prince George-Smithers-Prince Rupert, then ferry to[/li] [li]Port Hardy (north tip of Vancouver Island), then south on 19 to[/li] [li]Parksville, side trip to Tofino via Port Alberni and back, then further south on 19 to[/li] [li]Duncan, then west on 18 to[/li] [li]Lake Cowichan - Port Renfrew (new, paved, 60km), then east on 14 to[/li] [li]Victoria, then ferry to mainand (Tsawwassen), then north thru metro Vancouver and on to 99 to[/li] [li]Whistler - Lillooet - 97 juntion to[/li] [li]Kamloops, 1 east (TransCanada) to[/li] [li]Salmon Arm, then south on 97 to[/li] [li]Vernon, then east on 6 to[/li] [li]Nelson - Salmo, then east 3/93, across the[/li] [li]Crows Nest Pass (back to Alberta) then north on 22 to[/li] [li]Longview - Calgary.
[/li][/ul] At which point you have many options back home. Personally, I never tire of endless miles across the prairies and the sublime mental excercise of detecting the exact road milepost (somewhere around Ste. Ane, Manitoba) where the Prairies turn into the Shield (or vice versa), but that is not the kind of Canadiana I would bestow on a foreigner (more than once
Learn to divide, in your head, while operating the motorccyle, three-digit numbers by 1.6, it is a facilty that will come handy!
Safe Ride!
It really isn't. If you see a speed limit sign of 90 kph, for example, multiply the 9 by 6 = 54, and that's 54 mph. 100 kph = 60 mph. Multiply the 1 by 6 = 6 + add a 0 = 60 mph.The ferret_imp said:Lol yea that would be the route I would take. Dividing 3 digit numbers by 1.6 would be a nightmare while riding...at least for me. Maybe using the calculater in my phone? Lol

I would guess in terms of the speedometer, the U.S. mph speed scale circumvents the finer printed km/h scale. I actually don't know this for sure on the CB, however, I had an American Aprilia and that was what it looked like.Rocky_imp said:It really isn't. If you see a speed limit sign of 90 kph, for example, multiply the 9 by 6 = 54, and that's 54 mph. 100 kph = 60 mph. Multiply the 1 by 6 = 6 + add a 0 = 60 mph.The ferret_imp said:Lol yea that would be the route I would take. Dividing 3 digit numbers by 1.6 would be a nightmare while riding...at least for me. Maybe using the calculater in my phone? Lol
I do this all the time when I'm riding my vintage British bikes with Imperial speedo's.
Our speedo's up here are in metric with a mph scale below the metric numbers. I don't know anything about the U.S. speedo's.
I didn't even know that the instrument panel on the CB could be switched from metric, but it's right there in the owners manual![]()
I'll probably never ride my CB in the U.S., but if I ever do the mph scale is right there and easy to read.

The U.S. CB does have a km/h scale inside of the mph scale. No math required when traveling to Canada or Mexico. I think the dual scale speedo is pretty much standard on North American vehicles (all of mine have 'em).GoldOxide_imp said:I would guess in terms of the speedometer, the U.S. mph speed scale circumvents the finer printed km/h scale. I actually don't know this for sure on the CB, however, I had an American Aprilia and that was what it looked like.Rocky_imp said:It really isn't. If you see a speed limit sign of 90 kph, for example, multiply the 9 by 6 = 54, and that's 54 mph. 100 kph = 60 mph. Multiply the 1 by 6 = 6 + add a 0 = 60 mph.The ferret_imp said:Lol yea that would be the route I would take. Dividing 3 digit numbers by 1.6 would be a nightmare while riding...at least for me. Maybe using the calculater in my phone? Lol
I do this all the time when I'm riding my vintage British bikes with Imperial speedo's.
Our speedo's up here are in metric with a mph scale below the metric numbers. I don't know anything about the U.S. speedo's.
I didn't even know that the instrument panel on the CB could be switched from metric, but it's right there in the owners manual![]()
I'll probably never ride my CB in the U.S., but if I ever do the mph scale is right there and easy to read.
My much older bikes only had mph, but that's when asphalt roads was a novelty around here.![]()
Welcome to my back yard!rotor_imp said:Welcome to my back yard!offroadfx4_imp said:Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in June/July.
Going through Ontario--Manitoba--Saskatchewan--Alberta--British Columbia
Has anyone ever been?
Suggested Roads, Hotels, Sites to see?
From what I see the road choices are limited.
![]()
Once you hit Calgary (coming from Parts East), there is a large number of variants, of which I would be inclined to suggest the following:
[ul] [li]Calgary, west on 1 (TransCanada), to[/li] [li]Lake Lousie, side trip to Moraine Lake, then north on 93, to[/li] [li]Jasper, then west on 16 (Yellowhead HWY), to[/li] [li]Mc Bride-Prince George-Smithers-Prince Rupert, then ferry to[/li] [li]Port Hardy (north tip of Vancouver Island), then south on 19 to[/li] [li]Parksville, side trip to Tofino via Port Alberni and back, then further south on 19 to[/li] [li]Duncan, then west on 18 to[/li] [li]Lake Cowichan - Port Renfrew (new, paved, 60km), then east on 14 to[/li] [li]Victoria, then ferry to mainand (Tsawwassen), then north thru metro Vancouver and on to 99 to[/li] [li]Whistler - Lillooet - 97 juntion to[/li] [li]Kamloops, 1 east (TransCanada) to[/li] [li]Salmon Arm, then south on 97 to[/li] [li]Vernon, then east on 6 to[/li] [li]Nelson - Salmo, then east 3/93, across the[/li] [li]Crows Nest Pass (back to Alberta) then north on 22 to[/li] [li]Longview - Calgary.
[/li][/ul] At which point you have many options back home. Personally, I never tire of endless miles across the prairies and the sublime mental excercise of detecting the exact road milepost (somewhere around Ste. Ane, Manitoba) where the Prairies turn into the Shield (or vice versa), but that is not the kind of Canadiana I would bestow on a foreigner (more than once
Learn to divide, in your head, while operating the motorccyle, three-digit numbers by 1.6, it is a facilty that will come handy!
Safe Ride!

I was born in Calgary and grew up west of the city. I know the roads intimately. DM me if you want and I can try to give you some insider tips.x(why)z_imp said:I was born in Calgary and grew up west of the city. I know the roads intimately. DM me if you want and I can try to give you some insider tips.offroadfx4_imp said:Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in June/July.
Going through Ontario--Manitoba--Saskatchewan--Alberta--British Columbia
Has anyone ever been?
Suggested Roads, Hotels, Sites to see?
From what I see the road choices are limited.
![]()
I'll post a bunch up here, too when I have a bit of free time this weekend. You're going to love it!