Canadian Rockies Trip

Offroad

Road warrior
Thread starter
Planning a trip to Canadian Rockies in June/July.

Going through Ontario--Manitoba--Saskatchewan--Alberta--British Columbia

Has anyone ever been?

Suggested Roads, Hotels, Sites to see?

From what I see the road choices are limited.

f8cd39772e1e29acfb86930dba4036b2.jpg
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
In terms of Ontario, are you entering via north Michigan state?
Meeting today with the guys, they were talking about entering via the mackinac bridge.
My thoughts are to make a loop something like below except starting and finishing in southern Indiana.

Then we could hit the Black Hills, SD which is on my bucket list.

f65ee411575e8d8c7c72d7e763a98177.jpg
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
In terms of Ontario, are you entering via north Michigan state?
Meeting today with the guys, they were talking about entering via the mackinac bridge.
My thoughts are to make a loop something like below except starting and finishing in southern Indiana.

Then we could hit the Black Hills, SD which is on my bucket list.

f65ee411575e8d8c7c72d7e763a98177.jpg
Meeting today with the guys, they were talking about entering via the mackinac bridge.
Right, via Sault Saint Marie, Ontario. So going west - yes - the road choices are limited in the Canadian Shield region (lots of rock formation). The Trans Canada Highway is the obvious choice toward Thunder Bay, Ontario.
 
Thread starter
From Winnipeg should we go to Calgary or Edmonton.

Looks like Calgary would put at the rockies sooner unless the road to Edmonton offers something special?
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
From Winnipeg should we go to Calgary or Edmonton.

Looks like Calgary would put at the rockies sooner unless the road to Edmonton offers something special?
I wouldn't bother going up to Edmonton if your destination is just to get into the Rockies.
Once you get into Manitoba the road to Calgary is mostly just miles and miles of endless open road and wide open prairies.
I've done the Calgary to Vancouver route, hitting all the national parks, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, and the attractions along the way.
It's stunning country :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Dang that looks like one awesome trip! So so jealous. Someday, in the very distant future when my boy is grown, I will be able to do such things. :-/
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Dang that looks like one awesome trip! So so jealous. Someday, in the very distant future when my boy is grown, I will be able to do such things. :-/
Haha, this is a SKI (spending kids inheritance) trip :-)

I'll be 63 this summers, still working so during the summer I'm riding like there is no tomorrow!

I get my inspiration from my hero the ferret, I can't ride everyday like he does so I'm trying to make up for it when I can.

Plus I never would have considered cross country touring without his pointers, influence and wisdom.
 
Rocky_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
From Winnipeg should we go to Calgary or Edmonton.

Looks like Calgary would put at the rockies sooner unless the road to Edmonton offers something special?
I wouldn't bother going up to Edmonton if your destination is just to get into the Rockies.
Once you get into Manitoba the road to Calgary is mostly just miles and miles of endless open road and wide open prairies.
I've done the Calgary to Vancouver route, hitting all the national parks, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, and the attractions along the way.
It's stunning country :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I wouldn't bother going up to Edmonton if your destination is just to get into the Rockies.
Once you get into Manitoba the road to Calgary is mostly just miles and miles of endless open road and wide open prairies.
I've done the Calgary to Vancouver route, hitting all the national parks, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, and the attractions along the way.
It's stunning country :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
(+1) :thumbsup:
 
I've ridden the Canadian Rockies twice. Absolutely highly recommended.

While in the Banff area, I highly suggest spending a night (and a fortune) at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, or at least plan to stop for brunch there. If you can't afford the Fairmont, there are several very nice, affordable motels along the Bow Valley Parkway between Lake Louise and Banff. Advance reservations are a must.

From Lake Louise, do not miss continuing north on the Icefields Parkway to Jasper and spending an evening in Jasper. A brief stop at the Athabasca Glacier is very nice.

I also recommend riding west from Lake Louise towards Revelstoke, through Canada's Glacier National Park.

Finally, the Kananaskis highway out of Canmore is not be be missed.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I've ridden the Canadian Rockies twice. Absolutely highly recommended.

While in the Banff area, I highly suggest spending a night (and a fortune) at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, or at least plan to stop for brunch there. If you can't afford the Fairmont, there are several very nice, affordable motels along the Bow Valley Parkway between Lake Louise and Banff. Advance reservations are a must.

From Lake Louise, do not miss continuing north on the Icefields Parkway to Jasper and spending an evening in Jasper. A brief stop at the Athabasca Glacier is very nice.

I also recommend riding west from Lake Louise towards Revelstoke, through Canada's Glacier National Park.

Finally, the Kananaskis highway out of Canmore is not be be missed.
Been there; done all that - and very highly recommended as LR said.
Moraine Lake is also a must-see.
Nothing is cheap up here, but since your American dollar is valued so much higher than the Canadian dollar it will offset the difference.
 
Thread starter
Long Ranger do you remember that lady we saw in Colorado that was touring by herself and said something about the road of too many curves that had a road with a hundred miles of curves somewhere north of Colorado
 
+1 on LongRanger’s suggestions.

Taking the 93/Icefields Parkway North to Jasper is stunning and worthwhile, but gets busy on summer weekends with RVers. You’ll never forget the weeping wall, the turquoise glacial rivers and the ice fields themselves which are haunting to see in person. If you’re lucky, you may spot a few grizzlies foraging along the way.

Also agree with the Kananaskis highway being a good rip if you have some time to burn. Watch out for bighorn sheep around blind corners!

Another good road if you’re planning a night in Calgary before you venture further west into the mountains is the 1A/Bow Valley Parkway. It takes you all the way to Lake Louise, has lots of great turns and some nice scenery. Certainly a more enjoyable ride than the more hectic traffic on the 1/Trans Canada highway. I believe some of that road is open range, so careful around the turns as cattle and deer are frequent visitors. The pic below is from when I first rode my CB home and took a water break at Gap Lake right off the 1A with Mt McGillivray and Pigeon Mountain in the background. Gorgeous terrain.

I hope you enjoy the ride and that you post some pics!


6f337f00245e92950eefee42fe9e54a7.jpg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Never having ridden in Canada, I have no advice to offer, offroad. :D

However, I strongly endorse run-tmc's wish that you enjoy the ride and POST PICTURES. Plenty of them, please.

By the way, it was joining this forum that introduced me to long-distance riding too, and I will be forever grateful to it for that.
 
I've ridden up to Fort St John. The 97 Rt down the Frazior River is a stupendous road. It's been a few decades since I've done it, but that's hhard core real bush running!!
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Long Ranger do you remember that lady we saw in Colorado that was touring by herself and said something about the road of too many curves that had a road with a hundred miles of curves somewhere north of Colorado
I remember her, but I don't recall the discussion. She may have been referring to US Highway 12 between Grangeville, ID and Missoula, MT, over Lolo Pass. If so, it's an incredible road. I'm sure Frulk knows it too. The sign says "Tight curves next 77 miles." It's one of my all-time favorite motorcycling roads, and the scenery is fabulous too.

Your K1600GT is quite the enabler, isn't it? I can fully relate!
 
Thread starter
Thanks LR!

I still want to do the Southwest part of Colorado and the Pacific Coast Highway next summer.

I could see doing those on the same trip.

Hope you're enjoying yours! Maybe you could come out here and we can get Ferret to go ride the tail of the dragon or some other famous roads, he knows them all!
 
I've been on the Dragon, Cherahola, Foothills, etc. They're fun roads but really not worth the trek from here. I would like to ride Talimena and spend some time in the Ozarks, however.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Long Ranger do you remember that lady we saw in Colorado that was touring by herself and said something about the road of too many curves that had a road with a hundred miles of curves somewhere north of Colorado
I remember her, but I don't recall the discussion. She may have been referring to US Highway 12 between Grangeville, ID and Missoula, MT, over Lolo Pass. If so, it's an incredible road. I'm sure Frulk knows it too. The sign says "Tight curves next 77 miles." It's one of my all-time favorite motorcycling roads, and the scenery is fabulous too.

Your K1600GT is quite the enabler, isn't it? I can fully relate!
That's the road I immediately thought of. My all time favorite motorcycle road. Last time I was there (2 yrs. ago) the sign had been changed to "99 miles". Woohoo!

I'd definitely recommend including this road if you can. It follows the twisting Lochsa/Clearwater rivers along the bottom of a canyon for about 120 miles. Since it's bordered by National Forest and Wilderness Areas, there is very little local traffic.

24c3da50bd935101e54f1a0b31daf19b.jpg
 
Back
Top