Can?t wait...darn weather!

inditx_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I got a great Delkevic can from a contributor here and got it installed. Looks and sounds great but with windchills of -30+ coming, it’ll be awhile.
Come on Spring! :P
inditx
 
inditx_imp said:
I got a great Delkevic can from a contributor here and got it installed. Looks and sounds great but with windchills of -30+ coming, it’ll be awhile.
Come on Spring! :P
inditx
Heated gear might be of some help, but for sure, nothing can beat the Spring!
 
inditx_imp said:
I got a great Delkevic can from a contributor here and got it installed. Looks and sounds great but with windchills of -30+ coming, it’ll be awhile.
Come on Spring! :P
inditx
Today is another great day for riding here in southern Ontario. Forecast expected to be stable enough with an air ambient temperature high of about 1C and hopefully with a less windchill factor.

Like The Ferret, I am pretty excited for today's ride.
 
My younger brother and I rode in -59 degree wind chill Jan 10, 1982 (actual air temp -9F) ...no heated gear. Snowmobile suit, and boots, Bell Full face helmet, wool scarf, Windjammer Fairing and Hippo Hands. Must confess it was cold lol.

I never have counted windchill as I believe that is at current wind speed which may only be 3 or 5 mph and not the speed I am riding at. What is the windchill at -9 degrees F at 60 mph? lol
 
Put on my neck sock for the commute this morning - was in the low 40s....

I have a bit of a "can't wait" too. Been wanting to finish the Gulf colors on my 300, but it's a bit too chilly to spray paint. But at least I can ride, so I can't complain.
 
Here's a question for our amateur (or otherwise) meteorologists here. If you ride faster than the wind speed, is the windchill on your bike based on the speed at which you are riding or the sum of the actual wind speed and your riding wind speed? OR is there a separate calculation that needs to take place? Does the bike windchill change if you are riding into a headwind versus a cross or tail wind?

@Ferret - I'm the same regarding using windchill or rather not using it. There are motorcycle windchill charts out there and I'm sure there have been multiple postings here of those over the years, but most of them start at an outside temp of +15f and go up from there. I suppose the chart makers assume that anyone riding at below +15 is too stupid to read the chart. LOL
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Here's a question for our amateur (or otherwise) meteorologists here. If you ride faster than the wind speed, is the windchill on your bike based on the speed at which you are riding or the sum of the actual wind speed and your riding wind speed? OR is there a separate calculation that needs to take place? Does the bike windchill change if you are riding into a headwind versus a cross or tail wind?

@Ferret - I'm the same regarding using windchill or rather not using it. There are motorcycle windchill charts out there and I'm sure there have been multiple postings here of those over the years, but most of them start at an outside temp of +15f and go up from there. I suppose the chart makers assume that anyone riding at below +15 is too stupid to read the chart. LOL
Windchill is a big deal in southern Ontario where the winter air is quite moist compared to Saskatoon, Manitoba or Calgary, Alberta.

If the wind is 0 speed, then the windchill will be calculated as the speed of your ride and assuming no windshield.

If the wind is a headwind, then add the two relative speeds together. Example: If you are riding at 60 and the head-on wind is 20, then the windchill to be factored in is 80.

Conversely, if traveling with prevailing winds, then windchill will be then difference when the ride is traveling faster than the wind.

= = =

Summertime it is all about humidex and southern Ontario cannot escape it. The higher the humidex (i.e. because of the humidity), the more difficult it is for the body perspiration to evaporate.

Pick your poison: 112F dry oven heat of southern Arizona, or 112F clingy wetness heat of southern Ontario (and Georgia, Florida, etc.). In both cases, you still need to drink water.
 
I don't think that the windchill temp would be warmer if there was a 20mph tail wind than if there was no wind at all as the net wind speed would be the speed at which you are traveling... I don't think that it gets less windy riding with a tail wind.

My feelings about windchill as a number would not change if I was in Antarctica -- For me it's not a good guide as to what I wear outside. The amount of insulation I need does not increase proportionally to decrease in the windchill temperature and so is fairly useless to me. If I'm dressed for -10f, I will feel just as warm (or cold) whether the windchill temp is -15 or -30.
 
Getting redy to go for my ride. Luckily it's 40 degrees and sunny and I don't have to worry about windchill much. Thur, Fri and Sat will be much different I am told.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Getting redy to go for my ride. Luckily it's 40 degrees and sunny and I don't have to worry about windchill much. Thur, Fri and Sat will be much different I am told.
Roger that Ferret.

And Roger that Thursday through Saturday!

I think MTC grumbled sumthin' the same just recently.
 
I don't think it's going to be as bad as they predicted earlier. Now they are calling for windy and rain Thur, maybe 1" of snow and cold -4F Friday, and windy and cold -1F Saturday. Just going to have to see how it plays out. Won't get back above freezing for a high until next Wednesday. I hate cold lol
 
inditx_imp said:
Forget Iron Butt you guys get the Polar Bear or Icey Cheeks award!
RideOn!
inditx
Heck, not me anyway.

There are some Africa Twin Forum members who take it up two or three levels up.

In addition, riders in Quebec, Canada seem to take full advantage of ice-riding in winter. The online videos are fascinating. Keep in mind that they do have spikes in their tires.
 
I'm not sure how the relative wind speed affects or effects (get those confused) wind chill but I have experienced that a head wind creates a lot more wind "noise" than a tailwind.

Saw this on another forum....XL Honda in the snow!

:excited::excited::excited:

b87558f8f749056c0873001a6697411d.jpg
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I'm not sure how the relative wind speed affects or effects (get those confused) wind chill but I have experienced that a head wind creates a lot more wind "noise" than a tailwind.

Saw this on another forum....XL Honda in the snow!

:excited::excited::excited:

b87558f8f749056c0873001a6697411d.jpg
That'll do it.

Wonder what cornering is like? (carefully)
 
Oohhh...I like that...get your skiing and riding in at the same time. Save on the ski pass... sadly, lift ticket at my favorite ski spot has risen to $160 for a day pass. I don't go enough any more to justify a season pass, and that's too much coin for me...but this mc-ski...that looks like great fun.

Edit...but how does he shift? Maybe ski is only on the right side?
 
Back
Top