Can?t find a CB1100, may buy a V7.

PAULIBIKER_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
My search for a local CB1100 for sale is futile, but I found a 14 Moto Guzzi V7 close and in my price range.


Anybody have one? Opinions?
 
I owned two V7's before giving up on Moto Guzzi and buying a CB1100. The V7's were truly some of my most favorite bikes but I knew it'd be frustrating to carry a long term relationship with either, primarily due to the inadequate dealer situation in the U.S. SportsterDoc on this forum also owned a V7 and has since moved on to a CB, but likely for different reasons. Frulk, on this forum, has a V7R. Apologies if I've missed anyone else.

The V7 is a sweet, endearing motorcycle with an engine that will surprise you and handling that is sublime on a twisty road. However, in my view, it pales in comparison to the CB in terms of engineering, suspension, refinement, ride quality, engine performance, driveability, workmanship, on-road presence, and pride of ownership. The CB is a jewel. See if you can ride both before choosing either.
 
Man, there are dealers all around that have them for as low as 6, but if you're limited to 5 at most and not willing to finance, I'd say just keep expanding your radius. if you're willing to rent a trailer and take a road trip, they can certainly be had.
 
Have you considered a used one OR a new CB500F or X?
 
Sorry to learn of your challenge. I like the look of the V7s and I love the way they sound. But based on all I've read (and have been told by former Moto Guzzi dealers, I would be just too concerned about their lack of dealer support. And by that I mean the lack of support that the parent company provides MG dealers with.
 
I think that if you truly want a "relationship" with a bike, then the V7 may be OK. By that I mean it's not a thoroughly sorted, refined jewel like the CB1100, and it will occasionally have its faults. I'm basing that on ownership of two Guzzis (and note that I no longer have either and don't want to ever have one again!) and also from daily readings on the Wildguzzi forum.

I've seen several V7s at the monthly gathering of Euro/Brit bike enthusiasts I attend, and the owners seem enthusiastic about them. On the other hand, none are long-term owners, so the thrill might fade over time.

Seems to me that if you are a decent mechanic (since there are almost NO good Guzzi mechanics to be found, and yes, I'm sure someone can come up with a name, but it won't be local to you in all likelihood) and are willing to do the detective work when an issue comes up, then the Guzzi certainly has "character" and will bring you attention wherever you ride. The CB1100 will also bring attention and is very unlikely to irritate you with any failures or design flaws. I mean, jeez, it's a Honda!

I also like the suggestion of considering a CB500F or X. I've spent some time studying those bikes as a possible purchase for a friend (he has other issues and didn't buy anything). These are solid bikes for very reasonable money.

If you are patient (I'm thinking winter shopping), you can score a used CB1100 in your price range if you are willing to travel just a bit. Good luck with it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the responses. Been looking for a new or used CB1100. Would do new and finance a little but the "$5547" deals end up being $7K+. Found some used ones, but due to health issues I'm unable to travel more then a couple hours from home (Des Moines) and shipping blows my budget.

I really like the one in Milwaukee.............
 
If I can present my opinion/experience...

I've never had a Guzzi but when I saw le Mans , I fell in love with it and wanted to have one...
So I conducted a study about dealer support and bike quality, and I was disappointed....however, love for it still deeply sits in my heart until today..

775f972fe321cec85647f8cc9e457e23.jpg


e2c32717eafaa471fe4046bf55f21331.jpg


The CB550 Four instantly became my dream bike when I touched it, but could not afford to own one, and I do not have any dispute about dealer network, product quality and its reliability at all.

cb3bc43566cacce919585b00a6357636.jpg


If someone ask my opinion which car to buy, I always replay:buy the one you love and fits your budget.., cuz if something gees wrong with it, you always excuse yourself.
The bottom line in your particular case Paulbiker is: due to unable to travel more then a couple hours from home = get the CB
Wish you all the best and good luck :)
Keep us posted :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
If I can present my opinion/experience...

I've never had a Guzzi but when I saw le Mans , I fell in love with it and wanted to have one...
So I conducted a study about dealer support and bike quality, and I was disappointed....however, love for it still deeply sits in my heart until today..

775f972fe321cec85647f8cc9e457e23.jpg


e2c32717eafaa471fe4046bf55f21331.jpg


The CB550 Four instantly became my dream bike when I touched it, but could not afford to own one, and I do not have any dispute about dealer network, product quality and its reliability at all.

cb3bc43566cacce919585b00a6357636.jpg


If someone ask my opinion which car to buy, I always replay:buy the one you love and fits your budget.., cuz if something gees wrong with it, you always excuse yourself.
The bottom line in your particular case Paulbiker is: due to unable to travel more then a couple hours from home = get the CB
Wish you all the best and good luck :)
Keep us posted :thumbsup:
Forgive me, but is that right? I thought Paulibiker was saying he can't find a CB close enough to home and, for that reason, he is contemplating the Guzzi. I assume that means he has access to a dealer in Des Moines.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
If I can present my opinion/experience...

I've never had a Guzzi but when I saw le Mans , I fell in love with it and wanted to have one...
So I conducted a study about dealer support and bike quality, and I was disappointed....however, love for it still deeply sits in my heart until today..

775f972fe321cec85647f8cc9e457e23.jpg


e2c32717eafaa471fe4046bf55f21331.jpg


The CB550 Four instantly became my dream bike when I touched it, but could not afford to own one, and I do not have any dispute about dealer network, product quality and its reliability at all.

cb3bc43566cacce919585b00a6357636.jpg


If someone ask my opinion which car to buy, I always replay:buy the one you love and fits your budget.., cuz if something gees wrong with it, you always excuse yourself.
The bottom line in your particular case Paulbiker is: due to unable to travel more then a couple hours from home = get the CB
Wish you all the best and good luck :)
Keep us posted :thumbsup:
Forgive me, but is that right? I thought Paulibiker was saying he can't find a CB close enough to home and, for that reason, he is contemplating the Guzzi. I assume that means he has access to a dealer in Des Moines.
Forgive me, but is that right? I thought Paulibiker was saying he can't find a CB close enough to home and, for that reason, he is contemplating the Guzzi. I assume that means he has access to a dealer in Des Moines.
Hm..
I read his post again, and you are right Cormanus, I misunderstood :-/
P.S. buy CB
:thanks:
 
Hey Pauli..a nearly brand new CB in your price range just listed by a forum member

CB1100 Forum
 
There was a lot to like about my 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone...but also some issues/potential issues:

1. Fuel management before full warm-up was the worst I have ever experienced.

2. Some had issues with the half plastic fuel filter swelling and failing, leaving the rider stranded.

3. The dry clutch has an annoying rattle and feathering the clutch results in a strong smell

4. Some had crankshaft seizure issues from a part omitted on the assembly line

5. In southern Nevada there is only one dealer and when the Yuill Brothers (very good guys) sold, the new owner made it clear that he had no interest in my future business.

a. The new owner purchases many bikes wholesale, which loads up the service department, preparing them for resale. BTW, I was treated very well by the service department.

b. I know of one Las Vegas rider on the wildguzzi.com forum who had a serious issue and the bike resided at the dealer for many weeks/months, waiting for a warranty assessment...I saw it every time I was there during my 7 months (7,000 miles) of ownership.

As much as I appreciated the great low RPM torque, 5.8 gallon fuel tank, very smooth shaft drive, VERY easy to adjust valves and 417# wet, I would not get another, primarily due to the dealer situation in this area and secondarily the above mentioned issues/potential issues.

Also, my 1140cc 4 cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cam CB gets the same fuel economy as the V7II 744cc 2 cylinder, pushrod V7II...and despite some complaints about the CB's stock suspension, the CB rear suspension is so much better than the V7II.

I may miss the Moto Guzzi on the 20th, when I take a planned 460 mile ride on the Extraterrestrial Highway, with one section of 158 miles between fuel stops (Ash Springs to Tonopah). But an auxillary 110 oz can of TruFuel should get my friend's Vrod and my CB to Tonopah, if we maintain a reasonable speed. The last time I took that trip was in 2013 on my 2012 Triumph Bonneville (excellent build quality), carrying an extra 5 liters and a 4.2 gallon tank.

Just my 3 cents
 
Thread starter
My goal is to buy an air cooled classic/retro bike for $4500+/- and the CB is my 1st choice. Came across this V7 and really like the fuel capacity, weight, & shaft drive. No local dealers thou, so would be on my own if there is an issue.

I asked years ago about a Moto Guzzi and will always remember a comment I got.

"Ahhhh..............Moto Guzzi, turning riders in mechanics for 100 years!"
 
PAULIBIKER_imp said:
My search for a local CB1100 for sale is futile, but I found a 14 Moto Guzzi V7 close and in my price range.


Anybody have one? Opinions?
Noooooooooooo ... these pictures might help

34f73adf7612aa6c0cc4103ac36ab329.jpg


bddbf59e313d6c5b6f46459be7d88369.jpg


Buy the Honda!!!!
 
QC on Guzzi's have improved over the years so I'd be less concerned about them. They are also very easy to work on (I tend to do my own wrenching anyway - but if you need warranty work a good dealer close by is huge).

I think a Guzzi needs a certain type of owner and speaking in broad general terms; your typical Honda owner would not make for a good Guzzi owner. Quality expectations are much higher and they are not typically willing to correct small issues on their own. Many Guzzi owners take pride in doing their own wrenching and call the small niggles "character". That said, once they are sorted (and today that takes much less work than the older models) they will typically stay on the road longer than a Honda. Not that a Honda can't last that long, it's just not ridden as much after a while. Guzzi's do get under your skin.

Having said that, I'm looking at selling the Griso - mostly because I want a bike that fits me better. On the open road that Griso is still a great mile eater that has attitude.
 
Honda was dumping New 2014's all over the place in Florida and they were selling for nearly $5,000. That is when I got mine. They were delivering them as far away as North Carolina. Suddenly they have all gone up again, notwithstanding the year. There is a used 2013 in Jacksonville in your price range. There are still some 2014's at $5,999
Cycles of Jacksonville, FL still has a couple at $5,980.
 
Back
Top