Can-Am Spyder

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
One of my buddies just bought one of these. 115 hp Rotax engine ect...
He has not been on a motorcycle in 30 years. When last seen riding he was bailing off of a 1976 Honda 750 into a ditch when a dump truck pulled out in front of him. :rofl: Skinned him up pretty good but the motorcycle took minor damage and started right back up. I was right behind him when all of this happened on a CB650 Custom.

Anyway, 2 wheels is out for him for good but he wanted to get back into it and felt comfortable with one of these. He will let me ride it when he gets it. I am just wondering if any of you guys have ever ridden one or know anything about them? Always good to see a guy get back into riding. He is wearing me out for information about everything motorcycle related now which is pretty cool.
 
They don't lean like you think to lean in turns. I have also heard that they are a rough ride for passengers based on what I heard after riders getting done with demo days rides.

I wouldn't mind taking one out to see what all the hype is about and the storage on them is impressive imho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
dBuster_imp said:
They don't lean like you think to lean in turns. I have also heard that they are a rough ride for passengers based on what I heard after riders getting done with demo days rides.

I wouldn't mind taking one out to see what all the hype is about and the storage on them is impressive imho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The storage is pretty awesome imo for sure. I have no idea how one of these things will ride but I will find out in a while. He just put the deposit down today and I was with him.

I certainly think they have their place. He is really not a guy that has a good feel for mechanical things and is aging like all of us and wants to take the wife with him. Dont have to worry about tipping over ect with the Spyder. Has a reverse gear for backing up. Its not for me right this minute but it appears to be well thought out. I like it better than trikes but that is me.
 
Elipten_imp said:
My wife suggested one so she could ride with me. I suggested a convertible sports car!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The convertible would be a better choice I think. Two tracks instead of three, Full weather protection when needed, similar fuel mileage, vastly better handling and storage. Until they make one that leans like a motorcycle the choice is clear to me.
 
There are a coupe guys i know that have gone to these, Mostly due to health issue's, one with a bad foot the other has back issues. The both enjoy the 3 wheelers and allows them to continue riding.
 
Be very careful about where you ride it the first few miles. When Can Am does demo rides they make you take it around a practice course at walking speed before they'll let you take it on the road. Its needed;; if you just go straight from your bike to the Spyder you may be in trouble. Its very different from a bike.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
My wife suggested one so she could ride with me. I suggested a convertible sports car!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The convertible would be a better choice I think. Two tracks instead of three, Full weather protection when needed, similar fuel mileage, vastly better handling and storage. Until they make one that leans like a motorcycle the choice is clear to me.
The convertible would be a better choice I think. Two tracks instead of three, Full weather protection when needed, similar fuel mileage, vastly better handling and storage. Until they make one that leans like a motorcycle the choice is clear to me.
I have thought this as well, but to each his own. I would think a Shelby Cobra replica like the Factory Five would be a great alternative to a bike if two wheels are out. That would handle great and be unique. You'd probably have $40k invested as well as 400-600 hours of build time, but it'd be baller ride fer sure!
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Be very careful about where you ride it the first few miles. When Can Am does demo rides they make you take it around a practice course at walking speed before they'll let you take it on the road. Its needed;; if you just go straight from your bike to the Spyder you may be in trouble. Its very different from a bike.
+1

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I finally rode this thing. Its totally different than anything I have ever been on. Good, good power with the 3 cylinder rotax. Six speed semi auto that downshifts for you and tons of gizmos I dont know how to use. Its very twitchy for a lack of a better word that takes some getting used to. Handles like its on a rail when cornering. Its the crotch rocket of trikes but its super confortable and easy to ride. Has a reverse gear of course.

There is no sensation to me at least that there is only one tire in the back. Its like riding a rolls royce 4 wheeler that is street legal. Smooth, quiet, powerful, good brakes, and has every horn, button and whistle a Gold wing has and probably more. All kinds of traction control and stability control devices to keep you out of trouble.

Downside? The price. Or at least to me. But it is an interesting alternative to riding a trike. I will take the Can AM over a trike pretty much anyday of the week after riding it.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
I finally rode this thing. Its totally different than anything I have ever been on. Good, good power with the 3 cylinder rotax. Six speed semi auto that downshifts for you and tons of gizmos I dont know how to use. Its very twitchy for a lack of a better word that takes some getting used to. Handles like its on a rail when cornering. Its the crotch rocket of trikes but its super confortable and easy to ride. Has a reverse gear of course.

There is no sensation to me at least that there is only one tire in the back. Its like riding a rolls royce 4 wheeler that is street legal. Smooth, quiet, powerful, good brakes, and has every horn, button and whistle a Gold wing has and probably more. All kinds of traction control and stability control devices to keep you out of trouble.

Downside? The price. Or at least to me. But it is an interesting alternative to riding a trike. I will take the Can AM over a trike pretty much anyday of the week after riding it.
+1 on that.

Thanks for the report. Intriguing machines. And a dang sight better looking than any trikes I've seen.
 
redbirds_imp said:
With two wheels up front it should be far more stable than the typical trike.
I agree, my limited knowledge on the subject would lead me to think two in the front could handle a turn better than two in the back while turning. Do people roll trikes, or do they ride too slow for that to happen?
 
I'm of the opinion that if I can no longer ride, I'd rather just buy a used Miata--and benefit from a soft top, and seatbelts.

I just can't see me spending $30,000 OTD for a Spyder.
 
I agree completely an old Mitia or a bug eye sprite for a true mechanical challenge, or as scooter with the biggest engine I can fine. Can one turbo a scooter?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Spaceman is right...they ride completely different than your bike. So take it real easy and slow in the beginning. There is no leaning...you'll lean, but the bike won't. You'll steer it by actually turning the bars. That being said, I could see myself moving to one of those when/if the time comes. Out in the wind, it feels like a motorcycle... much more so than a convertible car. Enjoy it!! And ride safe.
 
I have test ridden the Spyder at a dealer event and was actually fairly impressed with it. One of the members in our Legion Riders Post has one, he just turned 81 and was tired of holding up his H-D, and he's very happy with it. When I can't stay up any more it'll be on the list.
But I do think nice drop top would be a useful option.
 
Buffalorider_imp said:
I have test ridden the Spyder at a dealer event and was actually fairly impressed with it. One of the members in our Legion Riders Post has one, he just turned 81 and was tired of holding up his H-D, and he's very happy with it. When I can't stay up any more it'll be on the list.
But I do think nice drop top would be a useful option.
Are you a Legion Rider also? Wisconsin district 7 here.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I don't want to knock the Can Am too hard because they are getting people on the road and out of their cages. That's good for everyone because it expands the sport. However, the best thing I can say about the vehicle dynamics is that they're a hell of a lot better than a trike with one wheel up front. In other words, they aren't an accident looking for a place to happen. They're much better looking too than those fat-ass trikes. Jesus those things are f'ugly! But there's no comparison to a bike.

If a Can Am was my last chance to pull on a helmet and ride...I'd get another boat.
 
I agree with spaceman! Plus the anti tip technology that went into them. Must give kudos for that.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top