Can-am Spyder...

decarmine_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Does anyone on this forum have experience with a Can-am Spyder? My initial reaction was always "That's not a motorcycle" but lately I've been looking for a way for my wife to join me on rides. She has her MC endorsement but has never felt comfortable with anything on two wheels. I test-drove a Harley three-wheeler but don't think that's the solution for her; cornering was vastly different from a two-wheeler...

I've never driven a Spyder -- at least not yet -- but would like to hear any opinions -- good or bad. If I went this way for her, I'd be thinking used, in the $10-12K range, with automatic (paddle shift?) transmission.

Thanks.

Frank
 
I have a buddy that has owned Spyders since 2009. He absolutely loves them. He has been on several multi day 1000k+ mile trips riding two up and sometimes pulling a folding camp trailer. He and his wife rode from the Pacific Northwest to Branson, Mo a couple of years ago.

I would suggest that you rent one for a weekend first just to see how she likes it. The semi-automatic with the paddle shift is the way to go.
 
Thread starter
Thanks to the ferret and to Pete. The thread the ferret referenced has about all the info I could have asked for. Guess I should have searched for it myself :(
 
Lol, well I by virtue of being a moderstor, read almost every post, and many of the subjects stick with me, then a specific search word will pull up relevant threads. I'm not as good at it as Cormanus and popgun however.
 
My wife and I both were invited to try out a Can Am Spyder recently. This is a 2015 touring model with the paddle shift. It was just "okay" in my view. Not at all exciting to ride and I did not like the paddle shift. Our friend loves it though and that's all that matters. For what they cost I would have a nice used Miata or Honda S2000.

I also did not like having three wheel tracks to consider. Missing road debris is all the more challenging.
 
My wife rides a Can-Am and loves it. She never really got comfortable on 2 wheels, owned several bikes, and discovered the Can-Am at a bike show one winter. Test rode one and said this is it. 5 years later still loves it.
Excellent well made machine, runs well and no problems at all. I ride it once or twice a year but it's not for me, my version of 3 wheels involves a sidecar.
I highly recommend the machines. Paddle shift works fine. I see some excellent bargains on CL from time to time.
 
I was just thinking about the Can-Ams. Was at the Jersey shore this weekend and it seemed like more bikes were out than normal. I must have seen 50 or so bikes in total. From what I could tell, 40 were Harleys. Two Honda Gold Wings. Two sport bikes of some kind, One Yamaha FJ something, One Triumph and five Can-Ams. I thought that was a larger than used to seeing number of Can Ams. They must be really catching on.
 
decarmine_imp said:
Does anyone on this forum have experience with a Can-am Spyder? My initial reaction was always "That's not a motorcycle" but lately I've been looking for a way for my wife to join me on rides. She has her MC endorsement but has never felt comfortable with anything on two wheels. I test-drove a Harley three-wheeler but don't think that's the solution for her; cornering was vastly different from a two-wheeler...

I've never driven a Spyder -- at least not yet -- but would like to hear any opinions -- good or bad. If I went this way for her, I'd be thinking used, in the $10-12K range, with automatic (paddle shift?) transmission.

Thanks.

Frank
I rode one of the older models once. I hated it. Turning was a chore. It felt like it was trying to buck my off like a bronco. Since you can't lean it the g forces suck.
 
Thread starter
Rebel73_imp said:
decarmine_imp said:
Does anyone on this forum have experience with a Can-am Spyder? My initial reaction was always "That's not a motorcycle" but lately I've been looking for a way for my wife to join me on rides. She has her MC endorsement but has never felt comfortable with anything on two wheels. I test-drove a Harley three-wheeler but don't think that's the solution for her; cornering was vastly different from a two-wheeler...

I've never driven a Spyder -- at least not yet -- but would like to hear any opinions -- good or bad. If I went this way for her, I'd be thinking used, in the $10-12K range, with automatic (paddle shift?) transmission.

Thanks.

Frank
I rode one of the older models once. I hated it. Turning was a chore. It felt like it was trying to buck my off like a bronco. Since you can't lean it the g forces suck.
That's how I felt riding a Harley three-wheeler. Was kinda hoping the Spyder was different. Sounds similar...
 
They couldn't locate the deer? What were they going to do cite it?
 
The Can-am, my opinion, isn't a motorcycle. I'd guess that a ride on one would leave a good percentage of actual, experienced riders a bit cold towards them, if not somewhat freaked out. The Can-am cannot be driven like a bike and does not provide the full experience of riding one. That said, for someone who can't, or won't, ride a motorcycle the Can-am will provide nearly all of the joy of riding.
 
The ferret_imp said:
They couldn't locate the deer? What were they going to do cite it?
:rofl:

Just smack it around a bit and send it on its way.
 
decarmine_imp said:
Does anyone on this forum have experience with a Can-am Spyder? My initial reaction was always "That's not a motorcycle" but lately I've been looking for a way for my wife to join me on rides. She has her MC endorsement but has never felt comfortable with anything on two wheels. I test-drove a Harley three-wheeler but don't think that's the solution for her; cornering was vastly different from a two-wheeler...

I've never driven a Spyder -- at least not yet -- but would like to hear any opinions -- good or bad. If I went this way for her, I'd be thinking used, in the $10-12K range, with automatic (paddle shift?) transmission.

Thanks.

Frank
I test rode a Spyder at bike week a few years ago on an 8 mile over the road course including a run down i95. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, cornering was a chore especially at slow speeds but it put you out in the wind like a 2 wheeler does so that was good. I test rode a Harley 3 wheeler about a month ago at a dealers open house. It felt about the same as the CanAm... no lean and a chore to steer at slow speeds although I think the steering was a touch easier because you're turning 1 wheel instead of 2 as on the CanAm. And I am concerned about high speed cornering... lifting a wheel off the ground would be frightening although they both say that it rarely happens. Rarely? My wife won't ride with me but says that she would IF we owned a 3 wheeler. As yet, I've not made the plunge feeling that I'd need to free up something before I bought one and I'm not ready to do that.
Plus I'm not really sure she means it...(a 'hair and a/c thing', LOL). I don't know if I'd buy the CanAm or the Harley. My experience with Harley's has been very good and I like the fact that they have plenty of dealers whereas CanAm dealers seem to be few and far between at least in my experience. Before you buy, make sure you test ride both so you can get a real world feel for them. Good luck!
 
Motor trike makes nice conversions. The service manager/head mechanic at my Dealer installs them. Its a BIG job and the kit is ~12 grand, I think he said.

When done it looks like a factory job. I've watched a little bit of the install and it is not something I'd want to try. YMMV. :)
 
I can't recall the name of the company, but one will "trike" your Wing for around $10-12K. You get two closely-spaced front wheels that stay in contact with the ground like a Piaggio MP3 and you lean it just like a two-wheeler bike.

EDIT: The name of the company is Tilting Motor Works.
 
Back
Top