Camshaft Swap

The CB1100F was made in 1983 only, according to Wikipedia. Could not find out if it was a solid or hyd cam motor. Ours are solid. Being that there is a 30 year difference in motors, I am betting they are not the same design.
 
since our lump was originally based on the 919 motor (that's what Honda said on their webpage describing the process of designing and building our bikes), I doubt very seriously if the single year cb1100f cam will drop in, but if you got one, try it!
 
Not a chance.

The new CB engine has absolutely nothing in common with the old CB1100F except being an air cooled inline four.

The 1983 engine had solid tappets. Shim under bucket just as the SC65 CB1100 has.
 
SlimPair,

I really don't mean to be critical, but why in the world would you want to replace the stock CB1100 cam? If you are looking for more power, then, why didn't you get some other bike. There are lots of other motorcycles, including other Hondas, that have ton more power and weigh a lot less.

The CB1100 was never designed to be a powerhouse. Even if you could put a hotter cam in, it would also probably require heavier valve springs and a host of other top end parts, exhaust, etc. to really be able to take full advantage of the cam. It wouldn't be cheap, either.

Personally, I have other bikes I ride if I am in a go fast mood. Generally, I ride the CB1100 when I want to relax, look and feel cool and just go for a ride. There's plenty of power for that and more.

Again, don't mean to be critical, or disrespectful. Guess I just don't understand.
 
4MRH..some see the CB1100 as a finished product and ride them as is. Some see it as a base to build upon, to make it into something they want. It might be a touring bike with fairing, saddle bags and trunk, it might be a café racer with 1/4 fairing, bum seat, tiny fenders and loud pipe or it just might be fire breathing roadster..the fastest CB1100 on the planet. We buy them from Honda and turn them into our dream bikes. His dream seems to be the latter.
 
You know, at the risk of offending the membership here, not everyone likes to putt around at 3000 rpm. Don't like ripping your CB? Fine, it takes all kinds. I've noticed that go-faster mod questions are met with at least one poo-poo'er every time they are posed. The standard "You should've bought a different bike" answer assumes that anyone who doesn't ride like you do is wrong or not enjoying the bike correctly. Perhaps the no compromises quality of the CB is what caused us to own the CB in the first place, (it's progenitor was a really sporty bike in it's day). I can appreciate the CB's fineness without dismissing anyone who may really like the bike but wants to explore power adding options, for pete's sake, it's not like the bike will be inherently unsafe because of poor chassis engineering or under powered brakes. Once again, I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but I'm sure this forum was meant to bring CB owners together to discuss the love of owning a CB, whatever it is you may love most about it.

ETA: Ferret beat me to it.
 
Cheers to Ferret, Cyclic, ... The point of Forums and especially this one is to assist all in their endeavors to CREATE whatever it is they desire from the CB or other bike(s) as may happen from time to time. As many say, that is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

As I desire a lower rpm for cruising because the CB is capable of that, others want just the opposite for their needs. In fact, I think that is why Honda initially created the correct 5speed for its initial market. But for US Interstate type cruising, ...eventually (too late imho) created the 6speed. That doesn't make either wrong or right. That is for each to decide what is correct for them.

This forum is so similar to a family. You may not always agree with your siblings, but your job is just to support them in their endeavors. Hopefully they don't get hurt from their choices, but it is their choice.
 
Thread starter
Guys,
I'm a tinkerer, former HD mechanic, happiest with a tool in my hand, and never leave anything stock. I always create something different (not necessarily better). I have a Hayabusa if I want to scare myself with speed.

No offense taken. Thanks for all the replies.

Harry
 
Geez....Let's see, I said "really don't mean to be critical" twice and not "disrespectful" once. Guess I should have been even more politically correct. :worship:

Telling it like it is.....I really do think this forum is a great place for information on the CB accessories and stuff. But anyone who thinks my honest comments warrant scolding is too much for me. No more posts.

You all have the best and Merriest Christmas and a happy and healthy new year!
 
Comment on the CB919... or CB900F... big honking radiator and no cooling fins. Different bore/stroke. Not sure it had anything to do with evolving into the 2013/2014 CB1100. Am I missing something?
 
aw c'mon 4MRH ... you said " Guess I just don't understand"

I was trying to merely HELP you understand. It's not a matter of political correctness...it's just seeing something from someone else's point of view. How else do we do that without providing an explanation? No one was disrespectful in their responses that I saw.

Heck I'm old school. It kills me to see someone rip off the gorgeous chrome fenders off these bikes and put fender eliminators on, and stubby front fenders, and tiny little turn signals, and tiny tail lights, to remove the well shaped stock seats and replace them with wide in the seating area touring seats, or giant trunks, to put drag bars on them and bar end mirrors, or loud pipes... but I understand they are not doing any of that to MY bike. Mine looks just how I want it to look, sounds just how I want it to sound, and that is very much how Honda made it. Just like I like it. It is their business to make their bikes how they want them.

Not scolding, trying to help you understand, that's all.
 
LOL...you asked "why in the world would you want to change the stock cam?" then you asked "if you are looking for more power, then, why didn't you get some other bike?". Your questions may have been rhetorical, but Ferret, Cyclic, rbike, and ultimately SimiPair merely answered your questions and none of them took particular offense over your post.

Please continue to post your comments and questions. People will let you know clearly if they are offensive.

Relax. We're just a bunch of guys with nothing better to do. :)
Ferret beat me to it, also.

He types faster than he rides.
 
Nowadays, if you want a motorcycle that you can put 100k on with no drama or engine rebuilds, your choices are fairly limited with regard to the style of bike. For example, you might take a sport bike to 100k, but it may not perform like it should without significant cost to maintain that performance. A Harley, Goldwing, older BMW, etc... will do what is does new for a long time with minimal upkeep. I like to think that the CB occupies that same space. A high quality machine with superior attention to detail that is not so high-tension that it needs constant repair or maintenance to provide years of enjoyment at the level of performance it had new. A Japanese bike that is provides the same high quality that HD does (with better engineering, wink wink, I'm biased). It is a statement of how right Honda got this bike that it appeals to so many different types of motorcyclists. I have lots of friends and family that are die-hard Motor Company fanatics, who to a man or woman have all complimented the CB's style. My Dad, who has put 150k miles on H-D's, remarked about my bike when he saw it; "That one is only trying to be itself."
That being said, one way we in the US are going to learn about these bikes is by people seeing how far they can push the envelope. Honda doesn't need F1 to sell accords to accountants, but the lessons learned by competing there are in every part of that engine that putts around at 3k rpm.
 
wiredgeorge_imp said:
Comment on the CB919... or CB900F... big honking radiator and no cooling fins. Different bore/stroke. Not sure it had anything to do with evolving into the 2013/2014 CB1100. Am I missing something?
Yes. On that awesome web site that Honda created to go into the details of why the new CB1100 is soo darn cool (and it is) an engineer says that the engine is originally based upon a cb 1300 w/c lump, that was then redesigned from the ground up, as honda hasn't made an air/oil cooled big bore I4 in twenty years, and none of the current crop of engineers had any knowledge/skills building one from the ground up.

OP, I have no problem with any go fast mods to the CB, hell, if everyone had pooh-poohed the idea with the original cb750, think what we would have missed out on! A friend has/had THE honda cb750 that set the bonneville land speed record in '80 (or thereabouts) and that was one crazy fast bike!


Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website

Note; it's based on the CB1300 water cooled lump, not the 919, sorry.
 
My riding bud Lee, who many of you met at the rally, has 125k on his 2000 RC51, as you probably know, an extremely high performance motorcycle. All that has been replaced above and beyond regular maintenance has been the rectifier, and if I recall accurately, that was around 10k miles. It has been run what many might consider very hard, lots of track days, plenty of top end runs on our legendary Nova Road, spirited Sunday rides pretty much every weekend, and a minimum of one, 2000+/_ mile mountain trip a year. With maintenance and care, our bikes can virtually run forever. IMO, longer, farther and harder than we are capable of. On another note, I had a 2009 Dodge Challenger with 217,000 miles on it when I sold it. Most people thought it had about 30k tops.
 
People these days are too offend unfriendly. I can fuss and insult and next day want to laugh and joke.
I have turned my CB 1100 into s tourer but if they made a big bire upgrade that was longevity friendly I would be in line to get it. Thats just me
 
Gee whiz....4myredhonda, I thought it was a civil thread, until you got all butthurt, I don't quite get it myself, oh well..... I don't see how ferret's post warranted your response....
 
Back
Top