Came Across a VFR1200 today

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Man, I came across this one today and it's the first time I've seen one up close and in the flesh. With my CB sitting next to this one I was kinda torn which one I liked better from an aesthetic point of view. Like the CB1100 it appeared to have a high level of fit and finish. would have liked to be able to talk to the owner and ask a few questions. A quick look on local internet sales sites shows two currently for sale around the $8K price point.

7876a226ad53c5676b572bef52d046a1.jpg
 
They're kinda polarizing. They look cool, but also a bit too space-age and futuristic (especially the front). I'm sure they make an awesome touring bike.
 
I like it but the muffler is a deal killer.
 
I sat on one at our local dealer. Ergos weren't friendly for me at all, way too much forward lean to reach the handle bars.

It was also the first time I sat on a DCT bike. The clutch lever is replaced with a small finger switch. Looked and felt strange to me.
 
The wife has one and rides it all over the country. Its a great bike but way to aggressive for me not comfortable for this old man. Two years ago we went out west and she did 800 miles in one day on the thing I was on my Goldwing. She loves it she has a Corbin seat and throttle mister throttle lock. Fast you ask, he** yes 175hp fast!!! This is what every grandma should ride in their 60s lol. This is a picture of us last year at Deals Gap.
 
Honda invested a lot of money when they designed the VFR1200. Pity it languished, like the CB1100. I think it's a stunning motorcycle.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Honda invested a lot of money when they designed the VFR1200. Pity it languished, like the CB1100. I think it's a stunning motorcycle.
They need to put the awesome V4 they made for it into more stuff too -- that engine is killer.
 
Townie_imp said:
I sat on one at our local dealer. Ergos weren't friendly for me at all, way too much forward lean to reach the handle bars.

It was also the first time I sat on a DCT bike. The clutch lever is replaced with a small finger switch. Looked and felt strange to me.
how tall are you?

I too sat on one expecting a seating position too much like that of a supersport, especially looking at those clip ons, but surprisingly it felt okay!

I'm 1m84.

DCT is the future.
If I woild buy a touring bike, next to my cb, it has to be a semi automatic system or Hondas full automatic scooter like twist and go system.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Hey. how about a couple of close ups and the story behind the paint job/ decals????
The bike has a wrap on it but the red is all the stock paint the rest vinyl wrap. She designed it and a local company did the work. The bike was on display at the local theater during the opening weekend for the Avengers movies. We have red,white, and blue flashing lights on it so it really looks good at night lol These pictures were taken while it was on display in the theater.

[url=http://s248.photobucket.com/user/slolane/media/Motorcycles/DSC00005_zpsajkqpu1l.jpg.html]
[url=http://s248.photobucket.com/user/slolane/media/Motorcycles/DSC00004_zpsyk2wfclm.jpg.html]
This is granny with her VFR1200
[url=http://s248.photobucket.com/user/slolane/media/Motorcycles/DSC00002_zps9mwmmooo.jpg.html]
 
I have looked at a few VFR1200's at Honda dealers. I was surprised at how well they fit my short stature. The seat feels comfortable and is narrow to the front which helps with the reach to ground. The bars were a bit low but that could be easily corrected. Fit and finish is beautiful. I would enjoy having one.
 
Riko_imp said:
Townie_imp said:
I sat on one at our local dealer. Ergos weren't friendly for me at all, way too much forward lean to reach the handle bars.

It was also the first time I sat on a DCT bike. The clutch lever is replaced with a small finger switch. Looked and felt strange to me.
how tall are you?

I too sat on one expecting a seating position too much like that of a supersport, especially looking at those clip ons, but surprisingly it felt okay!

I'm 1m84.

DCT is the future.
If I woild buy a touring bike, next to my cb, it has to be a semi automatic system or Hondas full automatic scooter like twist and go system.
how tall are you?

I too sat on one expecting a seating position too much like that of a supersport, especially looking at those clip ons, but surprisingly it felt okay!

I'm 1m84.

DCT is the future.
If I woild buy a touring bike, next to my cb, it has to be a semi automatic system or Hondas full automatic scooter like twist and go system.
I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I really felt like I was lying on top of the tank. But you know, it was a used bike I sat on, it's possible the original owner had lower bars of some sort on it.

I haven't ridden a DCT bike yet. Reviews on it are very mixed. But you're right, CVT is becoming much more popular on cars, and I guess over time DCT will follow something similar.
 
I would imagine that some Helibar risers would be good on there. I have them on the ST1300 and sit up pretty straight. At 63 I'm not sitting in the racing position on anything.
 
Townie_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
Townie_imp said:
I sat on one at our local dealer. Ergos weren't friendly for me at all, way too much forward lean to reach the handle bars.

It was also the first time I sat on a DCT bike. The clutch lever is replaced with a small finger switch. Looked and felt strange to me.
how tall are you?

I too sat on one expecting a seating position too much like that of a supersport, especially looking at those clip ons, but surprisingly it felt okay!

I'm 1m84.

DCT is the future.
If I woild buy a touring bike, next to my cb, it has to be a semi automatic system or Hondas full automatic scooter like twist and go system.
how tall are you?

I too sat on one expecting a seating position too much like that of a supersport, especially looking at those clip ons, but surprisingly it felt okay!

I'm 1m84.

DCT is the future.
If I woild buy a touring bike, next to my cb, it has to be a semi automatic system or Hondas full automatic scooter like twist and go system.
I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I really felt like I was lying on top of the tank. But you know, it was a used bike I sat on, it's possible the original owner had lower bars of some sort on it.

I haven't ridden a DCT bike yet. Reviews on it are very mixed. But you're right, CVT is becoming much more popular on cars, and I guess over time DCT will follow something similar.
how tall are you?

I too sat on one expecting a seating position too much like that of a supersport, especially looking at those clip ons, but surprisingly it felt okay!

I'm 1m84.

DCT is the future.
If I woild buy a touring bike, next to my cb, it has to be a semi automatic system or Hondas full automatic scooter like twist and go system.
I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I really felt like I was lying on top of the tank. But you know, it was a used bike I sat on, it's possible the original owner had lower bars of some sort on it.

I haven't ridden a DCT bike yet. Reviews on it are very mixed. But you're right, CVT is becoming much more popular on cars, and I guess over time DCT will follow something similar.
The wife doesn't have a DCT bike its a standard shift bike. The bars are very low and that's the part that gets to me. I can't get her to try risers but it would have to be better but its her bike not mine.
 
kmoney_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Honda invested a lot of money when they designed the VFR1200. Pity it languished, like the CB1100. I think it's a stunning motorcycle.
They need to put the awesome V4 they made for it into more stuff too -- that engine is killer.
They need to put the awesome V4 they made for it into more stuff too -- that engine is killer.
they did :)

Ace - Ariel Motor Company

 
Riko_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Honda invested a lot of money when they designed the VFR1200. Pity it languished, like the CB1100. I think it's a stunning motorcycle.
They need to put the awesome V4 they made for it into more stuff too -- that engine is killer.
They need to put the awesome V4 they made for it into more stuff too -- that engine is killer.
they did :)

Ace - Ariel Motor Company
They need to put the awesome V4 they made for it into more stuff too -- that engine is killer.
they did :)

Ace - Ariel Motor Company

Wow. That thing is awesome.
 
Honda should copy Ariel and build something similar with a better seat and more upright seating position. Triumph's Speed Triple and others of this genre are sales successes and Honda is missing the boat. The VFR1200 is a great motor looking for a proper format.
 
VFR1200X..coming soon to a dealer near you
 
redbirds_imp said:
Honda should copy Ariel and build something similar with a better seat and more upright seating position. Triumph's Speed Triple and others of this genre are sales successes and Honda is missing the boat. The VFR1200 is a great motor looking for a proper format.
As a relatively old geezer, I'd like to see that engine in a modern version of the V65 Sabre. Yeah, that would never happen but one can dream. :D

11dbb4fcbc7e891cf18b36b15300304f.jpg
 
Back
Top