Cam chain rattles when cold

Speed_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Since a couple of weeks ago appeared a rattling noise when releasing the gas or when downshifting, specially noticeable at lower gears. It disappears as I drive 5 minutes and it warms up. To me it sounds like a loose cam chain. Today morning I asked at the official dealer and they gave me a date for next week. For me it looks like the cam chain tensioner, someone had something similar with his CB?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So far reports like this have pretty much turned out the be the balancer needs adjustment. Very easy to do and we just had a thread on it. I even posted the manual instructions. I can search for if you want to try it.

OK, here it is: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3844&pid=131346#pid131346
I have already adjusted the balancer, which was quite loose, but didn't solve the problem it sounds like coming from the top of the engine.
 
I wish you good luck with finding it (not being sarcastic). Others said Honda said it was normal and no definitive answer has really been given.

If you get one, please post it up for us.

Thanks.
 
When was your last oil change and what type of oil and viscosity are you running in your bike? I recall reading older posts of some folks running 20W50 and other non recommended viscosity oils in there bikes resulting in bottom end noise. Run the Honda recommended oil or an oil meeting Honda standards. I know others may disagree with me but this is my opinion regarding a possible solution to your problem.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I wish you good luck with finding it (not being sarcastic). Others said Honda said it was normal and no definitive answer has really been given.

If you get one, please post it up for us.

Thanks.
Next week they will take a look at the Honda dealer, I will tell you what they say.
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
When was your last oil change and what type of oil and viscosity are you running in your bike? I recall reading older posts of some folks running 20W50 and other non recommended viscosity oils in there bikes resulting in bottom end noise. Run the Honda recommended oil or an oil meeting Honda standards. I know others may disagree with me but this is my opinion regarding a possible solution to your problem.
Last oil change was at 1000 Km, now the bike has 2900 Km. The oil is Motul 10w30 MA semisynthetic and the oil filter is original Honda part (a purflux filter actually), everything meetinc perfectly Honda standards. It didn't start with the oil change.
 
You might do a search in both the General Section and Mechanical Section of this forum for engine noise or noise from bottom end. I know there were some extensive threads on this topic very early on when the forum first got going. I recall one guy's noise was so bad the dealer pulled the timing chain and guides and replaced all those parts under warranty. Some changed oil brands and this appeared to help or resolved the issue. You almost have 2000Km on your current oil so you might start with the most obvious and cheapest remedies first and change the oil. Sounds like you are using good quality oil with proper viscosity. I am using Repsol 4T Synthetic 10w30 in my bike and not so much as a hint of noise. I changed mine at 500 mi and then again at 2,500 mi. Good luck with it.
 
I know some other Hondas have had troubles with their automatic camchain tensions (the CBR 600 f4i comes to mind in particular). I don't know if our CBs are the same, and if there is manual conversion possible for us.
 
Thread starter
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
You might do a search in both the General Section and Mechanical Section of this forum for engine noise or noise from bottom end. I know there were some extensive threads on this topic very early on when the forum first got going. I recall one guy's noise was so bad the dealer pulled the timing chain and guides and replaced all those parts under warranty. Some changed oil brands and this appeared to help or resolved the issue. You almost have 2000Km on your current oil so you might start with the most obvious and cheapest remedies first and change the oil. Sounds like you are using good quality oil with proper viscosity. I am using Repsol 4T Synthetic 10w30 in my bike and not so much as a hint of noise. I changed mine at 500 mi and then again at 2,500 mi. Good luck with it.
Now that I hear that someone had to remove the cylinder block to change cam chain and guides under warranty I feel much better :(. Ha ha ha!!! I am praying the lord that it's only a bad tensioner...
 
Thread starter
Today y picked up my bike from the dealer and the service manager told me there's no sound. Then I asked for a written copy of the inform (the bike is under warranty) but then in the copy it says that "the timing chain is making some noise but it is within the tolerance. Come back when the sound is worse or louder". At the garage where I work I have retracted the tensioner an let it go again automatically to see if it was somehow stuck. Tomorrow when the bike is cold let's see...
 
Gotta love it when the service adviser doesn't actually listen to what the mechanic tells him.
 
If the noise is that obvious to you, I would go over the dealers head and ask to speak to a regional Honda rep about the issue. He/She and Corporate really have final word. Sounds to me like the Service Advisor and Mechanic are just being lazy. Probably do not want to take the time to tear into the bike and fix the issue. You can also call Honda Customer Relations and log the issue. This way it is on file should something catastrophic occur down the road when the bike is out of warranty. The number for Honda is likely in the owners manual under your seat.
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
If the noise is that obvious to you, I would go over the dealers head and ask to speak to a regional Honda rep about the issue. He/She and Corporate really have final word. Sounds to me like the Service Advisor and Mechanic are just being lazy. Probably do not want to take the time to tear into the bike and fix the issue. You can also call Honda Customer Relations and log the issue. This way it is on file should something catastrophic occur down the road when the bike is out of warranty. The number for Honda is likely in the owners manual under your seat.
And ... if you want to know how to get under the seat, you'll have to look in the owner's manual. :s
 
Thread starter
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
If the noise is that obvious to you, I would go over the dealers head and ask to speak to a regional Honda rep about the issue. He/She and Corporate really have final word. Sounds to me like the Service Advisor and Mechanic are just being lazy. Probably do not want to take the time to tear into the bike and fix the issue. You can also call Honda Customer Relations and log the issue. This way it is on file should something catastrophic occur down the road when the bike is out of warranty. The number for Honda is likely in the owners manual under your seat.
Cormanus_imp said:
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
If the noise is that obvious to you, I would go over the dealers head and ask to speak to a regional Honda rep about the issue. He/She and Corporate really have final word. Sounds to me like the Service Advisor and Mechanic are just being lazy. Probably do not want to take the time to tear into the bike and fix the issue. You can also call Honda Customer Relations and log the issue. This way it is on file should something catastrophic occur down the road when the bike is out of warranty. The number for Honda is likely in the owners manual under your seat.
And ... if you want to know how to get under the seat, you'll have to look in the owner's manual. :s
It´s a paradox able to destroy the entire universe...

And ... if you want to know how to get under the seat, you'll have to look in the owner's manual. :s
 
Thread starter
Today I have been again at the dealer, as they said they would ask "Honda" about my issue I wanted to know what they answered. "Honda" said that as the noise dissapears when warm just keep an eye on it, no problem right now . Grab your balls! (as we would say in Spain) so I ordered a new cam chain tensioner as I think is the mother of the lamb, it will be here next week and then let's see if my problems disappear replacing it. In my opinion Honda is managing this warranty issue terribly!! It's like "I can't empathize with your problem, leave me alone". More than a warranty looks like a scam.
 
Thread starter
Problem SOLVED!!!

I bought the cam chain tensioner and the gasket (68€) and replaced it. The tensioner can be replaced in 5 minutes, removing the 2 bolts and installing the new one but I prefered to check the timing after being replaced so I opened the valve cover and then also checked the valve clearances (with 3.400Km). Cylinders 1 and 2 exhaust valves were way too open, over 0,325 mm so I adjusted the valves (7 were out, 3 exhaust too open and 4 intake too closed). Checked the tensioner and was working ok but I replaced it anyway. He he he!!! Maybe the clearances should be checked at the first service at 1000 Km...
 
How long did the job take pulling the cams, doing the shims and putting everything back?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
How long did the job take pulling the cams, doing the shims and putting everything back?
I started after work at 17:00 and I finished at 00:30, but it can be done much faster, maybe in less than 4 hours. I have to say that in my Kawasaki zephyr I used to do it in 3 hours or so. Removing the heat protection and the valve cover is quite tricky, not much space. I had to remove the front bolt of the upper cam chain guide to allow the valve cover get out from there.
 
I wouldn't worry too much about the minor noises I am reading about on this forum. I am amazed at how quiet my CB is compared to my other bike, a BMWF800ST! The ST is a water cooled 800 twin, which has many fewer parts zinging around than the CB. Yet, it sounds like two skeletons wrestling on a tin roof.....perfectly normal for the little Rotax! The small noises that can be heard on a CB1100 are only noticeable because the thing is as mechanically quiet as a turbine. I marvel at how Honda engineered all those reciprocating parts into virtual silence inside a mass of ringing cooling fins. While I understand the annoyance of a new sound, I think a "real" problem will be readily evident.
 
:biker: you know my motto...ride more.... Worry less
 
Back
Top