Call me crazy...but I'm not so into modding

glenridgerich_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
It seems that more often than not folks like to make modifications to their bikes, and for those who do, I support your decision to do so whole heartedly. Motorcycling is the perfect place to showcase your individuality, and modding your bike is your own way to do what pleases you. That said, I've never been into modding. In particular, the CB is a very refined design, and in my view, not in any need of improvement. I wish the pipe was a little louder though. See, I've contradicted myself already!
 
Yea, me either. Someone would have to know CB1100s pretty well to point out the things I have changed from stock on my bike, even though I have changed about 10 things or so. Grips ( same color different material), replaced valve stems caps ( ditto), added a battery charger pigtail, removed decals on tank, removed reflectors, Rlets, chrome instrument cups, color matched headlight bucket, gaiters, removed peg feelers,changed to PR3s. L

Not changing the basic good looks that Honda provided was important to me, because I think Honda got it right.
 
I've seen some tastefully done mods by members on this site. IMHO its mainly because they stay with the retro/period correct look for the CB. One bike in particular comes to mind. Don't believe the member is here anymore because I think he parted out his bike but he had a chrome aftermarket tank among other unique mods. Man, he had a caféd CB that was very cool!
 
I've always wanted a cool cafe racer. When I first saw the CB1100 I knew it was a perfect platform. I also think it's beautiful right out of the box. That's what's so cool about this bike.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I've always wanted a cool cafe racer. When I first saw the CB1100 I knew it was a perfect platform. I also think it's beautiful right out of the box. That's what's so cool about this bike.
Basically the same thing. The whole reason I bought this bike, after years wrenching on old bikes, was that I wanted something with modern EFI and electronics that was still a perfect blank canvas to build on.

That said, this bike is pretty perfect right out of the box. If I didn't want the cafe look there are maybe only a couple little things I would change, mainly because they let down the otherwise amazing build quality of the bike (stock oil cap, plastic clutch slave cover on the '13s, turn signals) and be done. Of all the bikes you could leave stock and be happy with, I gotta think the CB is near the top.
 
I can totally respect glenridgerich's preferences. I'm really happy with my bike even though my "mod list" is rather sparse. Right now my CB1100 is sporting a Staintune slip-on exhaust and a set of Honda chrome gauge covers. Other than those items, my bike is stock. I do have the rear rack from Honda that I can install once again should I ever feel the need for it.
 
There's a CB1100 in there somewhere if you look hard

d839521f2810bd2fdfa497ff0ea5468b.jpg
 
What makes the CB special is the ease at which you can make it your own. Mine is basically stock, SW Motech bars, PR3s, license plate kit and reflectors removed but I really enjoy looking at the many ways forum members have modified their CBs. It would be a boring forum if our tastes were all the same.
 
To each his own of course, but I feel the same way. I left the CB pretty much the way it came. Honda did a pretty good job with what they have done.
I added S & W crash bars, a Honda luggage rack, magnetic gas tank knee pads, and that's about it. I'll probably get a fly screen at some point.
I wouldn't mind if it made a bit more noise, but I'm not going to spend an arm and a leg just for a bit of sound or grunt. A few extra horsepower or torque wouldn't change the way I ride and enjoy this bike.
 
Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires

Opps, sorry for the dupe.
 
glenridgerich_imp said:
It seems that more often than not folks like to make modifications to their bikes, and for those who do, I support your decision to do so whole heartedly. Motorcycling is the perfect place to showcase your individuality, and modding your bike is your own way to do what pleases you. That said, I've never been into modding. In particular, the CB is a very refined design, and in my view, not in any need of improvement. I wish the pipe was a little louder though. See, I've contradicted myself already!
I have to agree with you. I took the tank stickers off and made the stock muffler louder, that's it. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
mininsx_imp said:
glenridgerich_imp said:
It seems that more often than not folks like to make modifications to their bikes, and for those who do, I support your decision to do so whole heartedly. Motorcycling is the perfect place to showcase your individuality, and modding your bike is your own way to do what pleases you. That said, I've never been into modding. In particular, the CB is a very refined design, and in my view, not in any need of improvement. I wish the pipe was a little louder though. See, I've contradicted myself already!
I have to agree with you. I took the tank stickers off and made the stock muffler louder, that's it. :beerchug:
I have to agree with you. I took the tank stickers off and made the stock muffler louder, that's it. :beerchug: I'd love to make my stock muffler louder...May I ask how ya did it?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires

Opps, sorry for the dupe.
It's OK, popgun, you can't help it. :D
 
Hey! I said it was a dupe, not I was a dope :P
 
I'm not into modding either. I just want to add functional accessories that make the bike more useful. I also want the bike to look unique.
 
glenridgerich_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
glenridgerich_imp said:
It seems that more often than not folks like to make modifications to their bikes, and for those who do, I support your decision to do so whole heartedly. Motorcycling is the perfect place to showcase your individuality, and modding your bike is your own way to do what pleases you. That said, I've never been into modding. In particular, the CB is a very refined design, and in my view, not in any need of improvement. I wish the pipe was a little louder though. See, I've contradicted myself already!
I have to agree with you. I took the tank stickers off and made the stock muffler louder, that's it. :beerchug:
I have to agree with you. I took the tank stickers off and made the stock muffler louder, that's it. :beerchug: I'd love to make my stock muffler louder...May I ask how ya did it?
I have to agree with you. I took the tank stickers off and made the stock muffler louder, that's it. :beerchug: I'd love to make my stock muffler louder...May I ask how ya did it?
Remove the chrome end cover (three bolts), then cut off the exhaust tube using a Dremel or something suitable, then drill holes in the end plate. When you get the sound you like re-install the cap and you're done!
Here's the thread where the pictures are:
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....829&page=4
 
Back
Top