California Superbike School

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Has anyone ever done this?
It's not just in California; they offer courses in many places around the country. I am thinking of taking a level 1 class in New Jersey in May with a couple of friends. I'd be interested in your opinion if you've worked with these people.

c26b9a5fbee116ee46339cc3eae75105.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Highly regarded by some of my riding buds, and I plan on doing the course at NJMP or on the West Coast depending on my schedule, this year. Do it.
 
It draws lots of my sport bike friends from BC every year. All of them speak very highly of it. I'd definitely go for it if you can.
 
Many years back I did this school in California. Very good, highly recommend. Did level 1 and 2 a year apart on my own bike and was very satisfied. No reason to believe quality is not at the same level.
 
See them regularly at VIR outside Danville VA, or at least someone offering the rider class. Great reports, professional instruction and personal attention. Watched them for a while one day, passive interest only. Have an acquaint enhance who is a control rider with them, speaks well of the school.

I never attended, just watched. VIR on my regular rotation of places to visit while riding and wandering. Frequently free admission to just look around.

If you're not familiar with VIR google them, highly recommend a visit.
 
I did all four levels at Phillip Island in Australia, and it is probably the best thing I have ever done when it comes to improving my riding. At the time I was living in Singapore, and I would take a vacation to Australia to attend the MotoGP, and follow that up with two days the following week to complete two levels. As a result, I also rented the sports bikes they were proposing which I found a perfect combination. However, there would always be quite a lot of locals attending with their own bikes, and there would be all types.

I still remember vividly the very first actual track time we did in level 1. After a fairly long introduction theory session, we got to go out on the track. Our instructor told us the first session we were to go around in 4th gear and not use our brakes. I think pretty much all of us thought this sounded crazy, but as I did it the logic became so clear. The objective was to begin learning throttle control, and the result was that not a single rider went out on track pushing too hard in the beginning, and so not a single crash. It also opened our eyes right away to actual corner speed.

Given that level 4 is really one where you decide what to focus on, you can actually do it as many times as you want, and I look forward to going back to the Island again in the future for another round. Highly recommended!
 
Thread starter
I'm flying to NJ the week after next... taking the class on Tuesday, May 17 with 2 buddy's of mine. Any suggestions from anyone who's done this before?
 
Don't drag your knee until you feel confident doing so. Have fun R4N and be safe.
 
If you DO drag your knee, r4n, make sure it's well protected!

I hope you have a great time. It seems like a great thing to do. I'll look forward to hearing about it. And seeing the photos.
 
Thread starter
I did the school yesterday... in the rain on a BMW S1000RR. What a day! And guess what... I ran into one of our own from the forum when I overheard him tell an instructor what kind of bike he owns. Arva from NJ was also there. Really nice guy... as we all are... right? I'm at the Phily airport now, heading back to Atlanta, so I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Small world!! Good to meet you Arva.
 
And some thoughts along with the pictures, ride4now?
 
Thread starter
Ok... here's my report. It won't be as entertaining as one written by Cormanus or Pterodactyl but here goes. First, a shot of myself and one of our forum friends, Arva, who I just happened to meet by chance at the school.



Then two shots of the lineup. The red ones are the instructor bikes and the black ones are the ones we rode. I rode #19.





The classes were set up for 4 levels, 1 thru 4. All first time attendees must take level 1. Once you're done and graduate level 1, you can come back and take level 2. You have to go in order and they won't let you skip a level or start at any level you want. All students start at level 1. They assign a personal coach who is out on the track with you. He watched you and one other student. Here's my coach Gerry explaining what I was doing wrong... I'm sure.



You get 5 group classes all designed around specific topics. Throttle Control, Line Setting, Relaxing (I had a hard time with that one), Quick turn, 2-Step (entry and exit points).

The bikes are very powerful BMW S1000RR's that we rode all day in rain mode due to the rain. They had heated grips, antilock brakes (which I didn't test), and traction control (which didn't seem to work).

Here's a shot of me at speed (I have no idea as to what speed since they black out he speedo). The fastest I ever got was about 6000 rpm in 5th gear. The bike had 6 gears and redlined at about 14000 rpm if I remember right.



As I said it rained, and at times a lot. But maybe for me that was good as I was probably one of the slower riders (I got passed a lot). And the rain slowed everyone down so I probably didn't annoy too many people.



The class was not set up as a race. Everyone was encouraged to ride at their own pace and learn from their mistakes and within their comfort level.

They said all day that the rain was actually good because it slowed the field down (not too many speed demons out there) and kept everyone really focused on the technical part of cornering. That helped since the class was a cornering clinic.

I really enjoyed it. I don't know if I'll go on and do the remaining classes. We'll see what my buddy's decide to do and then I'll go from there. Here's a few more shots.

I highly recommend these people. They are very professional and run a great school.

My high school friend David Squire. He took level 2 and I'm glad I didn't have to ride with him. He's very good. He rides an ST1300 like a race bike!



The main problem that I noticed in the photos and which was pointed out by Gerry (my coach) was that I wasn't relaxing and not leaning forward enough. My butt was too far forward and my arms were too straight.

That was very hard to fix on this bike as this 60 year old body just doesn't bend very well any more! Lol...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
NJMP has a friendly staff and I'm sure it was no different for the school. Wish you could have enjoyed a dry track day although you where on the best wet track bike made.
 
Awesome writeup and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've had tons of friends recommend this place, but I think your review may actually push me over the edge to actually going and doing it.

How "noob" friendly would you say this is? I've been riding for 10 years, but it's only in the last year that I've owned a sportbike and actually started doing high-speed riding and (2) local track days. I definetely have the confidence for it, but don't have practice with body position etc... Do you think it's worth it for someone at this level?
 
Great report and pics, ride4now. Bummer about the rain but otherwise it sound like a great day.
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
Awesome writeup and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've had tons of friends recommend this place, but I think your review may actually push me over the edge to actually going and doing it.

How "noob" friendly would you say this is? I've been riding for 10 years, but it's only in the last year that I've owned a sportbike and actually started doing high-speed riding and (2) local track days. I definetely have the confidence for it, but don't have practice with body position etc... Do you think it's worth it for someone at this level?
Kmoney... it's definitely worth the price and they treated everyone the same. I think a 'noob' would feel right at home as they, the coaches, and the other riders respected everyone's different ability's. There was no racing allowed and the whole thing was built around each persons ability and opportunity for improvement.
 
Back
Top