California motorcycle "knowledge" test not valid and not reliable

jerrycon_imp said:

Where I took the test some years ago, it wasn't much better. However, you cold get a free booklet that I went through beforehand. It was full of stuff that clearly suggested the same type of bias you are talking about. So I assumed that the test was not about motorcycling at all, but about remembering the content of that booklet...
 
Is the test available online so we can have a look at it?
 
The "riding test" is even worse. Totally on a parking lot, super low speed turns. Failed it on my Ducati Monster, passed easily on a Honda Grom.
 
Wow, it's been 25 years since I took the CA motorcycle written examination. I remember that if you simply memorized the guidebook and didn't rely on actual experience, you'd be fine.

Does CA still have the law which forbids you from using hand signals if your vehicle is equipped with turn indicators? Lots of riders out here, mostly on HD's use hand signals when their bikes have functioning indicators. I always thought that was kind of odd.
 
very strange test but the grom in the machine for that:thumbsup:

got my MCL in the 60's and haven't taken a test since .
best i can recall it was mostly hand signals , when to yield and learning signs with no actual riding involved.
common sense was in abundance back then.
 
If I recall I only had to do the written portion when I moved here from Illinois in 2008 because I had already had an active endorsement from another state.
I failed the written test the first time I took it because it had all sorts of wording that I had never heard before about counter steering and such. To me it was all intuitive on how to control the bike and I had never heard these terms before in relation to riding.
 
Waving hands while riding
LongRanger_imp said:
Wow, it's been 25 years since I took the CA motorcycle written examination. I remember that if you simply memorized the guidebook and didn't rely on actual experience, you'd be fine.

Does CA still have the law which forbids you from using hand signals if your vehicle is equipped with turn indicators? Lots of riders out here, mostly on HD's use hand signals when their bikes have functioning indicators. I always thought that was kind of odd.
Signaling the turns is not done to make us feel better, it is done to communicate with the rest of the motoring public. If (as I assume) an overwhelming majority of other drivers have absolutely no clue why is that dude on the motorcycle waving his hands, the rule is quite sensible.
 
Back
Top