Caberg Levo (Levante) Modular Helmet ECE 22.05 Non-DOT

Stichill_imp said:
I hope you're right about the cheek pads flattening out after some sweating and washing, GO!
:)

It has happened to me with Shoei and HJC.

I reckon if the materials of your cheek pads are above average quality, they may resist compression due to washing.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Great Report! Wish we had those here.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Shoei RF-1200 to replace my 8 year old Shoei Quest. Anyone have an RF-1200? Any comments?
We do have them in (er, can bring them into) the US/CA! Just order one up from motostorm.it in Italy. It will ship same day and arrive at the delivery address in North America in about 4-5 business days. This retailer has a top-flight website, offers exceptional customer service, and has a lot of stock on hand for fast shipment.
 
Great review, thanks!
FWIW, look into replacement cheek pads; you might find they come in different sizes.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Razor! I will get in touch with the retailer and ask about cheekpads.

Commuted to work today with it. I need to get the Pinlock installed because I got some fogging in the cool temps this morning. I will say the panoramic visor is awesome, especially how much more you can see below your nose. Now I can better see my GPS and instruments without needing to tilt my head down.

The top vent is also mechanically clever. It has two detents when open. If it’s in the second detent (fully open), somehow it just snaps completely shut when you push it forward. This prevents you from inadvertently only closing it halfway, to the first detent. In my opinion that little feature demonstrates that the product manager, marketing team, and engineers were really paying attention to the details on this, their new flagship product.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Great Report! Wish we had those here.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Shoei RF-1200 to replace my 8 year old Shoei Quest. Anyone have an RF-1200? Any comments?
Not an RF1200, but I owned a Shoei GT-Air for about a week. It fit like a glove but was disappointingly noisy (for me). Candidly, that experience soured me on the brand, though I know others who love Shoei. Anyway, someone on Craigslist got a great deal on mine.
 
I stopped by Cycle Gear today and bought the RF-1200. Or actually, they ordered it as they didn’t have any in size small in light silver. Will be delivered to my house though.

Seemed to fit better than my Quest, especially at the back of my neck so hope it will be quieter.
 
Thread starter
Details

Easy to clean bugs off brow area (unlike my Arai Vector-2 where the visor didn't go back far enough to clear the area).
08c288803639cac4e13a25db4247222c.jpg


Finely engineered and assembled Pinlock posts.
3db006cf2d28d3837c0242350c21622f.jpg


Latch to hold chin bar safely in "up" position so it doesn't accidentally fall while riding, blocking your view.
c302326c0a4b7d47d82c4bf51ee50c2b.jpg


Steel chin bar locking posts.
bd3f9bb354b856956404e0007088ee61.jpg


Steel chin bar latching mechanism.
23c9f9077ba3855b78748010223d11d0.jpg


Metal ratcheting chin strap. One tug on the red loop and the mating part falls away cleanly. Note elastic bands that keep straps neatly located.
31b11779a7b349c405a67ea110623e30.jpg


Elastic chin curtain.
6089555db8ddab715d4057a4f0e50eff.jpg


Easy visor removal system. Press latches rearward to free shield. Pops right off.
8f2d2463babc83192734f9a4454515ba.jpg


Ships with Pinlock insert for you to install.
9b1aa72ad4c8a38da68692cb40c5eaa2.jpg


Glove-friendly visor grip tabs on each side.
ea4321c7821e062a19b38d0d6cffa772.jpg
 
Ah ya. So the helmet isn't magically quiet at highway speed not requiring earplugs? Just checking and thanks - always interested in the quieter helmet.
 
Thread starter
Well, that's going to be bike- and windscreen-dependent. In clean air, i.e. no windscreen, the Levo is pretty darn quiet. But I don't think any helmet is ever going to get you below the sustained 85 dB hearing damage threshold.
 
Given Stichill’s point above, it seems to me that if one installed a Senna or Cardno or other such device in his helmet, he/she’d still have to wear earplugs to get the noise level below 85dB. Can anyone who uses a communications headset tell me how they sound with earplugs in?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Given Stichill’s point above, it seems to me that if one installed a Senna or Cardno or other such device in his helmet, he/she’d still have to wear earplugs to get the noise level below 85dB. Can anyone who uses a communications headset tell me how they sound with earplugs in?
(+1) Inquiring minds would like to know.

- - -

I have used wired comms inside a helmet and I found it useless at highway/freeway speeds. Everybody seemed to shout and discussions were distorted and/or broken up. Below 80 km/h it was civil.
 
Thread starter
You can still hear the headset with earplugs in, especially spoken word. Music doesn't sound all that great though.

Custom-molded earphones would be the best bet for sound protection + audio quality.
 
Thread starter
Regarding thinner cheekpads, an email from motostorm.it.

“Hi,
the helmet is a new model so the cheekpads are still unavailable.
You can mount cheekpads of different size, you will find them on the website when they will be available.”
 
Thanks for that information, Stichill.
 
Stichill_imp said:
You can still hear the headset with earplugs in, especially spoken word. Music doesn't sound all that great though.

Custom-molded earphones would be the best bet for sound protection + audio quality.
Is the audible quality still good at freeway speeds? (with and without ear plugs)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
You can still hear the headset with earplugs in, especially spoken word. Music doesn't sound all that great though.

Custom-molded earphones would be the best bet for sound protection + audio quality.
Is the audible quality still good at freeway speeds? (with and without ear plugs)
Haven't ridden without earplugs, but I'm sure audio quality is not good with or without ear plugs. The speakers are necessarily tinny-sounding. They produce a lot of midrange and lower treble to punch through the ambient noise of riding at freeway speeds. These devices are best used for spoken word communication in my opinion. Bike-to-bike, rider-to-passenger, and GPS-to-rider. I think they are virtually worthless for music if you care at all about high fidelity.
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
You can still hear the headset with earplugs in, especially spoken word. Music doesn't sound all that great though.

Custom-molded earphones would be the best bet for sound protection + audio quality.
Is the audible quality still good at freeway speeds? (with and without ear plugs)
Haven't ridden without earplugs, but I'm sure audio quality is not good with or without ear plugs. The speakers are necessarily tinny-sounding. They produce a lot of midrange and lower treble to punch through the ambient noise of riding at freeway speeds. These devices are best used for spoken word communication in my opinion. Bike-to-bike, rider-to-passenger, and GPS-to-rider. I think they are virtually worthless for music if you care at all about high fidelity.
Haven't ridden without earplugs, but I'm sure audio quality is not good with or without ear plugs. The speakers are necessarily tinny-sounding. They produce a lot of midrange and lower treble to punch through the ambient noise of riding at freeway speeds. These devices are best used for spoken word communication in my opinion. Bike-to-bike, rider-to-passenger, and GPS-to-rider. I think they are virtually worthless for music if you care at all about high fidelity.
Yes, word communication would be of most interest. Thanks Stichill.
 
Back
Top