Caberg Levo (Levante) Modular Helmet ECE 22.05 Non-DOT

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
Some of you may recall that I discussed this Caberg modular (flip-up) helmet in another thread a while ago. It had been announced as the Levante for Spring 2018 then was delayed until Spring 2019. It finally became available in May 2019 as the Levo.



I ordered it from [url=http://motostorm.it]motostorm.it in size Large, color white on the evening of Sunday 05 May 2019. It shipped Monday 06 May 2019 and arrived Friday 10 May 2019. Not bad service from Italy!

Price was 287,70€ (USD $323.41 @1.12) and with shipping the total was 316.70€ (USD $356.01 @ 1.12).

The main caveat with this helmet for US/CA riders: it has not been self-certified to DOT (DOT does not actually certify helmets; they only spot-check self-certified helmets they buy in the open market). Now if (like me) you believe [url=https://youtu.be/0BUyp3HX8cY]DOT to be utter rubbish, this is of no consequence whatsoever. I am not going to let the lack of DOT self-certification prevent me from accessing otherwise excellent and affordable European helmet offerings. I might also add that DOT self-certification on a cheap helmet from China would not comfort me even if it actually met the DOT standard (which it likely doesn't).

This helmet has been homologated to the European ECE 22.05 standard that is the most commonly adopted around the world outside of North America. In fact it is dual-rated for use in both full-face and open-face modes. Pretty cool as that rating allows European riders the freedom to ride without worrying about being cited for riding with the chin bar up.

OK, now that we have addressed the DOT issue upfront, on to the unboxing that I did tonight. (I didn't unbox it on Friday because I just returned on Saturday evening from a 1300-mile ride to the Allegheny Highlands of western Virginia.) :cool:

Note: the helmet is a bright arctic white. It appears off-white in the pics due to incandescent lighting in my man-cave.























Visor all the way down (snaps down into a detent)

Visor one detent up


Visor two detents up


Visor three detents up


Visor all the way up (snaps up into detent)


Internal sun visor (down position) and side lever


Internal sun visor (up position) and side lever


Chin bar in up position


Note on raising the chin bar: if visor is down, chin bar raises smoothly and stops in a detent at its highest position. If the visor is up at any detent position, the chin bar pushes through the remaining visor detents on the way up.

Top vent closed


Top vent one detent open


Top vent two detents (fully) open


Chin vent closed


Chin vent open
 
Stichill, very cool. I've not heard of that brand. Congrats!

I did the same as you -- I purchased a Schuburth C3-Pro from a retailer in Italy, at a considerable, material discount vs. what they sell for in the U.S. As you, it arrived in just a few days. Without a DOT sticker. Otherwise, it's the exact helmet you can buy here (with the sticker).
 
Nice initial unbox coverage Stichill.

Now the hard part: Performance review. Would love to get your opinion.

I'd be curious how you might reference comparison metrics to another helmet make/model whom with many might be able to associate.

Example: The Caberg Levo wind noise level at 65 mph compared to Arai XC or Arai Vector-2, etc.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Stichill, very cool. I've not heard of that brand. Congrats!

I did the same as you -- I purchased a Schuburth C3-Pro from a retailer in Italy, at a considerable, material discount vs. what they sell for in the U.S. As you, it arrived in just a few days. Without a DOT sticker. Otherwise, it's the exact helmet you can buy here (with the sticker).
Thanks, LR! Caberg is not well-known in the US because they eschew the DOT self-certification and thus are not actively marketed through the usual outlets here. I don't think the lack of DOT self-certification is because "it won't pass"; I think they just don't intend to distribute their portfolio in the US & Canada for valid reasons. Maybe our European members have a better impression of Caberg as a brand, but I can see scant difference between Caberg, Nolan, and AGV outside of price.

This new helmet seems to be very well-made from quality materials. It fits extremely well. Snug of course, as a new helmet is, but it passes the head-shake / chin bar yank test, no problem. I think I'm going to love the ratcheting chin strap vs. the D-ring on my old Arai...not to mention the amazing convenience of a modular with the flip-up chin bar and internal sun visor. I'm not giving up anything in weight: my Arai Vector-2 full-face was 3.53 lbs or 1601 g. The Levo is 1610 g +/- 50 g.

Other cool features: side channels for wearing glasses and comes with a Pinlock. I think I paid $400 for my Arai seven years ago and then had to pay another $150 for a Pinlock visor with a flip-up external sun visor. $550 for an entry-level Arai one-piece full-face with Pinlock + sun visor vs. $350 for this articulating modular with Pinlock + sun visor that weighs the same.

You can certainly score some great deals through Italian retailers! We seem to be suffering from a virtual wholesaler monopoly in the US that sets an unacceptably high standard retail price from most US outlets for European products. Buying from an Italian retailer circumvents that problem. The lack of VAT for US buyers is icing on the cake, even if you have to give much of that back in shipping. A buddy of mine got some amazing Kappa ADV panniers for a ridiculous price at motorstorm.it.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Thanks, GO! Wind noise is high on my list. The Arai Vector-2 is the only helmet I've ever had, and I've come to believe (based on the reports of others) that it may be one of the noisiest helmets on the market. The more I wear it the more obnoxious it seems to be. As soon as weather permits I will return with a subjectively comparative ride report. I will ride without a windscreen to simulate a CB1100. :thumbsup:
 
I agree with buying some gear from overseas sellers , I had some great buys from Germany with gloves, boots and raingear : very high quality at much better prices . You have to know your size.
 
I've got, sorry had (see 'old helmet' post) a Caberg Duke II Legend flip front.

Other than the LS2 helmet I wore for training, this is the only one I've used.

Now, I'm part deaf (much to SWMBOs annoyance) but even so, sorry to say, for me, on the move the wind noise was very loud to the point of drowning out virtually all other sounds. I just accepted it and carried on but likely ear plugs will be your friends

Hopefully yours will be a lot better Stichill
 
Thread starter
Thanks for that, HR. Seeing as I'm coming from an Arai which may set the benchmark for wind noise, maybe even an 'ordinary' noisy helmet will be an improvement!

Actually I think the Arai's main problem regarding noise is the openness under the chin area. No chin curtain. If I cup my clutch hand under the chin area, the Arai quiets significantly. Behind the tall screen on my Thunderbird, the Arai is horribly noisy with the visor closed. Raising it relieves the pressure buildup coming up from the chin area, resulting in near silence. Covering the chin area has the same effect as opening the visor. I think the other noise generator on the Arai is the side covers for the visor mechanism. They open into the slipstream which always seemed like a good way to invite turbulence to me.

This Levo has a chin curtain and also seems to have a snug neck roll all around, and no side covers on the visor mechanism...so hoping it's quieter.
I'll try this again.

Chin bar in the fully up position:
ead7c22c1c4ce70e912916aa01d13021.jpg


Picture posted previously, chin bar not fully raised:
f1143f7ed1da9e1d15ace265dd7bd222.jpg
 
I use a Nolan Modular that is functionally similar to the Caberg Levo, but I am unconvinced the Nolan is anything special in regards to noise. In fact, my Arai XC (open chin) is quieter. However, other aspects of the Nolan Modular make it practical, particularly in wet and cold riding situations and, of course, the built-in retractable visor.

Curiosity surrounds the Caberg Levo.
 
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
 
Cool helmet Stichill. I have heard of Cabergs. Never known anyone that had one.

I am amazed when I go up to iron Pony and try on helmets the differences between a large in one brand and a large in another brand. Shape, fit, mechanism and latch differences. It's crazy. Don't know how anyone buys one without slipping it on noggin first. I wuill try on dozens of models up at the Pony. FOR ME...the worst is Schuberth, they absolutely hate my head, followed by Bell. For comfort every time I stick on a HJC my head breathes a sigh of relief. So I have a bunch of HJC's. Open face, 3/4, modular and full face. (99% of the time I grab the modular when going for a ride, although I love my 3/4 too). I also am not fond of the internal drop down shields. They are usually too light tint wise for me, and I have had some that rattled.

It seems to me the high front air vent may be an air noise issue. The smoother the shell the less the air flow in interrupted.Will be interesting to see how that one does. On my HJC it has small ones, but it for have the shield cracked open even an inch, which I usually do, the the shield blocks the air intakes, so no flow thru air. Drop the shield and you immediately feel the air flowing thru.
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
Thanks, it seems to be top-notch engineering and construction as far as I can tell. This is my first modular so I'm not used to the mechanical sounds of the detented face shield, the internal sun visor, or the chin bar mechanism. It's not overly loud but anything other than silent is new to me.

2017EX_imp said:
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
True that is a concern. I was pretty sure the helmet would fit me. I can't find the reference right now but I believe but it's an intermediate oval head shape, and the sizing is basically identical to Arai. I figured it was worth the risk of $80 for here-and-back shipping if I was not happy with the fit. Thankfully, so far so good.

My Arai was extremely snug when I got it, almost too snug. It seemed like it was slightly compressing my skull in all directions. I stuck it out and it broke in; today once it's on I'm no longer conscious of it. This new Caberg is also snug, some skull compression but seemingly not as much as I remember with the Arai.
Interesting observations, ferret. I'm looking forward to reporting how this helmet behaves while riding.
 
Stichill_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
Thanks, it seems to be top-notch engineering and construction as far as I can tell. This is my first modular so I'm not used to the mechanical sounds of the detented face shield, the internal sun visor, or the chin bar mechanism. It's not overly loud but anything other than silent is new to me.

2017EX_imp said:
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
True that is a concern. I was pretty sure the helmet would fit me. I can't find the reference right now but I believe but it's an intermediate oval head shape, and the sizing is basically identical to Arai. I figured it was worth the risk of $80 for here-and-back shipping if I was not happy with the fit. Thankfully, so far so good.

My Arai was extremely snug when I got it, almost too snug. It seemed like it was slightly compressing my skull in all directions. I stuck it out and it broke in; today once it's on I'm no longer conscious of it. This new Caberg is also snug, some skull compression but seemingly not as much as I remember with the Arai.
Interesting observations, ferret. I'm looking forward to reporting how this helmet behaves while riding.

I suppose as long as nothing is excreting out of the ears, eyes and nose, it is a good start. :)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
Thanks, it seems to be top-notch engineering and construction as far as I can tell. This is my first modular so I'm not used to the mechanical sounds of the detented face shield, the internal sun visor, or the chin bar mechanism. It's not overly loud but anything other than silent is new to me.

2017EX_imp said:
Very nice looking helmet. I have a Shoei Neotech II, and there are a lot of similarities in the styling between the Caberg and Neotech, judging from the pictures. I think you will love the micro ratchet chin strap, as the Neotech also has it, and I like it a LOT. I think a modular is a very good compromise between a 3/4 and a full face, and being able to open the chin bar you will find very handy in multiple situations.

The only thing I personally could not do, is order a helmet from overseas, unless I had tried on the exact same model here locally first. I have tried on so many different helmet brands over the years, that it is scary what a little bit of fit difference can make in terms of initial, short, and long term comfort. I remember, for instance, trying on a Shark ( if I remember brand correctly ) modular. Fit on my head was comfortable, but the inside of the chin bar was only a fraction of an inch from my chin. I was interested in a Schuberth, but when I tried it on, the interior shape did not fit the shape of my head and was uncomfortable immediately. HJC was my first modular, and I found that their size large was about 1/8 inch bigger than most others. It was one of the most comfortable helmets ever, but I went to Shoei after I discovered the HJC had ( back then, different now ) plastic chin bar locking components.

I can see in the pictures your Caberg has steel chin bar locking posts like the Shoei, so I bet it has steel latch components as well. Congrats on what looks like a very well designed helmet!
True that is a concern. I was pretty sure the helmet would fit me. I can't find the reference right now but I believe but it's an intermediate oval head shape, and the sizing is basically identical to Arai. I figured it was worth the risk of $80 for here-and-back shipping if I was not happy with the fit. Thankfully, so far so good.

My Arai was extremely snug when I got it, almost too snug. It seemed like it was slightly compressing my skull in all directions. I stuck it out and it broke in; today once it's on I'm no longer conscious of it. This new Caberg is also snug, some skull compression but seemingly not as much as I remember with the Arai.
Interesting observations, ferret. I'm looking forward to reporting how this helmet behaves while riding.

I suppose as long as nothing is excreting out of the ears, eyes and nose, it is a good start. :)

I suppose as long as nothing is excreting out of the ears, eyes and nose, it is a good start. :)
I'll say! :rofl:
 
Thread starter
First Ride Report

Hopped on the CBR250R this evening and went on my local "Short Loop" which is a 22-mile ride along winding 2-lane country roads at speeds between 35 - 60 mph.

There was some discussion about how noisy or quiet this helmet would turn out to be. The answer is...

Whisper quiet. I'm completely amazed.

As I mentioned earlier, my one and only helmet has been an Arai Vector-2 that I bought in 2012. I've been reading various reports for years that Arai helmets are extraordinarily noisy, so I may not be the best person to judge a helmet's noise level objectively. But the Caberg Levo (Levante) is so much quieter than the Arai it's astonishing.

I've been living like an animal for seven years. :-/

The helmet, of course, is not silent. I listened carefully to the most prominent wind noise perceived and it seemed to be coming from the left and right rear side/quarters. Eventually I realized that this wind noise was not generated by the helmet but by my shoulders. If I put a hand up to deflect air off my shoulders, the wind noise on that side almost entirely went away.

I didn't hear any wind noise coming from the face shield, the chin vent, or the top vent. Nor did I hear any noise coming from under the chin bar. Clearly the elastic chin curtain does its job very well.

The first detent position of the face shield lets in copious amounts of fresh air but adds zero additional wind noise. Opening it to the second detent brings on a perceptible increase in turbulence / noise but it's not at all intolerable.

When I turned west after heading south, looking right into the sun, the flip-down internal visor was great! Such a convenience, can't believe I've been doing without.

My only minor complaint, which is indeed minor, is that the cheek pads are a bit tight for my wide face. With the Arai I was able to remove a layer of foam to make them thinner. Since they still weren't thin enough after that step, I was able to purchase (for an exorbitant sum) accessory cheek pads that were exactly the right thickness to fit securely without being too snug.

So far the verdict is that this is a great helmet for my needs.

77cec5710e4faa5122e53d953aeb4746.jpg
 
That's a pretty encouraging first report. Maybe the cheekpads will " break in" a bit. CAn you chew gum without biting the inside of your cheeks? Lol
 
Thread starter
Yeah ferret, I hope the cheek pads break in! There's a fair amount of foam on top of the EPS so hopefully it will compress in due time. Good question on the gum! Right now it kinda feels like it's squishing my lower jaw forward in a slight underbite.
 
Stichill_imp said:
First Ride Report

Hopped on the CBR250R this evening and went on my local "Short Loop" which is a 22-mile ride along winding 2-lane country roads at speeds between 35 - 60 mph.

There was some discussion about how noisy or quiet this helmet would turn out to be. The answer is...

Whisper quiet. I'm completely amazed.

As I mentioned earlier, my one and only helmet has been an Arai Vector-2 that I bought in 2012. I've been reading various reports for years that Arai helmets are extraordinarily noisy, so I may not be the best person to judge a helmet's noise level objectively. But the Caberg Levo (Levante) is so much quieter than the Arai it's astonishing.

I've been living like an animal for seven years. :-/

The helmet, of course, is not silent. I listened carefully to the most prominent wind noise perceived and it seemed to be coming from the left and right rear side/quarters. Eventually I realized that this wind noise was not generated by the helmet but by my shoulders. If I put a hand up to deflect air off my shoulders, the wind noise on that side almost entirely went away.

I didn't hear any wind noise coming from the face shield, the chin vent, or the top vent. Nor did I hear any noise coming from under the chin bar. Clearly the elastic chin curtain does its job very well.

The first detent position of the face shield lets in copious amounts of fresh air but adds zero additional wind noise. Opening it to the second detent brings on a perceptible increase in turbulence / noise but it's not at all intolerable.

When I turned west after heading south, looking right into the sun, the flip-down internal visor was great! Such a convenience, can't believe I've been doing without.

My only minor complaint, which is indeed minor, is that the cheek pads are a bit tight for my wide face. With the Arai I was able to remove a layer of foam to make them thinner. Since they still weren't thin enough after that step, I was able to purchase (for an exorbitant sum) accessory cheek pads that were exactly the right thickness to fit securely without being too snug.

So far the verdict is that this is a great helmet for my needs.

77cec5710e4faa5122e53d953aeb4746.jpg
:rofl:

Stichill_imp said:
First Ride Report

Hopped on the CBR250R this evening and went on my local "Short Loop" which is a 22-mile ride along winding 2-lane country roads at speeds between 35 - 60 mph.

There was some discussion about how noisy or quiet this helmet would turn out to be. The answer is...

Whisper quiet. I'm completely amazed.

As I mentioned earlier, my one and only helmet has been an Arai Vector-2 that I bought in 2012. I've been reading various reports for years that Arai helmets are extraordinarily noisy, so I may not be the best person to judge a helmet's noise level objectively. But the Caberg Levo (Levante) is so much quieter than the Arai it's astonishing.

I've been living like an animal for seven years. :-/

The helmet, of course, is not silent. I listened carefully to the most prominent wind noise perceived and it seemed to be coming from the left and right rear side/quarters. Eventually I realized that this wind noise was not generated by the helmet but by my shoulders. If I put a hand up to deflect air off my shoulders, the wind noise on that side almost entirely went away.

I didn't hear any wind noise coming from the face shield, the chin vent, or the top vent. Nor did I hear any noise coming from under the chin bar. Clearly the elastic chin curtain does its job very well.

The first detent position of the face shield lets in copious amounts of fresh air but adds zero additional wind noise. Opening it to the second detent brings on a perceptible increase in turbulence / noise but it's not at all intolerable.

When I turned west after heading south, looking right into the sun, the flip-down internal visor was great! Such a convenience, can't believe I've been doing without.

My only minor complaint, which is indeed minor, is that the cheek pads are a bit tight for my wide face. With the Arai I was able to remove a layer of foam to make them thinner. Since they still weren't thin enough after that step, I was able to purchase (for an exorbitant sum) accessory cheek pads that were exactly the right thickness to fit securely without being too snug.

So far the verdict is that this is a great helmet for my needs.

77cec5710e4faa5122e53d953aeb4746.jpg
A great first impressions. Modular tend to be more noisy than standard full-face, but it sounds like this helmet is competitive.

With any luck, maybe the coming hot, sticky, humid summer will cause some facial protein-infused oil excretions to saturate the cheek pads forcing you to wash them and maybe gain some cheek space after they dry?
 
Thread starter
I hope you're right about the cheek pads flattening out after some sweating and washing, GO!
 
Great Report! Wish we had those here.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Shoei RF-1200 to replace my 8 year old Shoei Quest. Anyone have an RF-1200? Any comments?
 
Back
Top