CA S22, the road to Borrego Springs

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Here in Southern California we are blessed with many great motorcycle roads; S2 - Angeles Crest Highway (Newcomb's Ranch), S74 - Ortega Highway (The Lookout), Mulholland Highway (The Rock Store), S39 - Chrystal Lake... etc..

While many of these roads are a stones throw from my home base here in "The OC" (hated that TV show, BTW... I digress), I have an affection for a particular 7 mile section of road that is 150 miles from my house, S22.

Sunday Morning Rides | Maps and DMV POA Forms

Since I'm retired, I can ride these roads during the week, while the working-class hero's are toiling at their menial jobs... LOL, suckers!

And so on a perfect Tuesday morning me and a few of my fellow retirees met at an undisclosed location to plan a day ride to wherever we pleased. We decided to head south into San Diego county, perhaps to Julian for a piece of apple pie.

Along the way I kept thinking we MUST ride S22 on our days journey. So, at the next pit stop I suggested we head for Borrego Springs to ride S22. All agreed, and so we set our compasses (okay, GPS) for Borrego Springs and the legendary S22.

As we descended down S22 toward Borrego Springs my CB1100 was in her element; third gear at 3K to 6K rpm she sang that sweet song of motorcycle Nirvana. My modified suspension was spot on! The CB1100 brakes were seamless as I burned off speed for the next perfect hair-pin corner.

As you can tell, the days ride was epic, and worth every one of the 150 miles it took to ride S22.

... And the icing on the cake, the many metal sculptures by artist RICARDO BRECEDA.


Metal Sky Art Sculptures of Borrego Springs, CA - Ricardo Breceda - Page 1 - DesertUSA

TINK
 
Good one, Tink. That looks like an amazing road.
 
Nice report. Would love to ride in California. I'm still one of the suckers, though. LOL. Someday....someday.

Also, looks like they upgraded the Sunday Morning Rides website. Much easier to use than I recall it was a few years ago.
 
Thank you very much for this taster.

S22: Are you talking about this section between 'Palm Canyon Drive' and 'Montezuma Valley Road', called 'Montezuma Borrego Highway'?
 
Great stuff TINK. Thanks for the post :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm also retired and can enjoy rides during the week while most of my much younger friends still have their noses to the grind stone :D
 
I have some use it or lose it vacation time coming up and I now know what at least one of those days will be filled with. I get out to Julian often and love the roads out there. I have yet to descend into the desert. At least, not on the bike. I did some firearms training in Anza Borrego a few years ago in a pleasant 115 degree heat with high, hot winds. This time a year would be much more pleasant.
 
Back
Top