Bye for now - Guzzi replaces CB1100

GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I'm bothered by throbs in an engine. 270 degree parallel twins (which mimic V twins) throb and it annoys me. My brothers T-120 Bonnie throbs and he loves it but I didn't care for it. Now my new NC 750X is a 270 parallel twin and it throbs. Annoys the heck out of me. Luckily it has enough other good attributes that I can put up with it, or at least I'm learning to live with it. Don't think I'll ever come to enjoy it though.
Yeah, it ain't no CB1100.

But, it ain't no Yamaha Heritage Special either with its 360 degree engine.

I think for a twin it is pretty smooth, and yeah, smoother than all Bonnies.

I had a couple of those myself. In 2013 I bought a Honda CGL125 with a kickstart in Costa Rica to use there; when I came back to the States, I really wanted a kick-start bike and X650s seemed to one of the few options. My first, a '77 was a basketcase and it took me about 3 months to realize that I was in over my head trying to get it running right. Then I bought an '81 and it was in decent shape with only 2000 miles on it. I kept it for a year and had a lot of fun...and that's when Honda dealerships were dropping the price crazy like on the '14 CB1100 standards--sold the xs650 and bought the Honda. Funny, about a month ago, the guy I sold the '81 xs650 to emailed me and asked about how to get it started and running well. He said that he had only ridden it a few times since he bought it from me, back in 2015. Talk about a bike with "character".
 
My bud has a MG Stelvio that he likes- He hasn't offered to let me ride it yet, but.... I have noticed that, sitting behind him at idle, that machine rocks side-to-side 'cause of the jugs sticking out there. Not those kind! I always wrap the grips of every NTM bike with foam bicycle handlebar tape to add some girth and cushion.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
My bud has a MG Stelvio that he likes- He hasn't offered to let me ride it yet, but.... I have noticed that, sitting behind him at idle, that machine rocks side-to-side 'cause of the jugs sticking out there. Not those kind! I always wrap the grips of every NTM bike with foam bicycle handlebar tape to add some girth and cushion.
That rocking is the torque reaction from the crankshaft spinning. The old Honda CX500 also had a 90 degree transverse V-twin but they thought of making the alternator spin in the opposite direction to the crankshaft which drastically reduced (or maybe eliminated) this effect.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
My bud has a MG Stelvio that he likes- He hasn't offered to let me ride it yet, but.... I have noticed that, sitting behind him at idle, that machine rocks side-to-side 'cause of the jugs sticking out there. Not those kind! I always wrap the grips of every NTM bike with foam bicycle handlebar tape to add some girth and cushion.
That rocking is the torque reaction from the crankshaft spinning. The old Honda CX500 also had a 90 degree transverse V-twin but they thought of making the alternator spin in the opposite direction to the crankshaft which drastically reduced (or maybe eliminated) this effect.
That rocking is the torque reaction from the crankshaft spinning. The old Honda CX500 also had a 90 degree transverse V-twin but they thought of making the alternator spin in the opposite direction to the crankshaft which drastically reduced (or maybe eliminated) this effect.
I had a BMW R1100RT that did the same thing.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
My bud has a MG Stelvio that he likes- He hasn't offered to let me ride it yet, but.... I have noticed that, sitting behind him at idle, that machine rocks side-to-side 'cause of the jugs sticking out there. Not those kind! I always wrap the grips of every NTM bike with foam bicycle handlebar tape to add some girth and cushion.
That rocking is the torque reaction from the crankshaft spinning. The old Honda CX500 also had a 90 degree transverse V-twin but they thought of making the alternator spin in the opposite direction to the crankshaft which drastically reduced (or maybe eliminated) this effect.
That rocking is the torque reaction from the crankshaft spinning. The old Honda CX500 also had a 90 degree transverse V-twin but they thought of making the alternator spin in the opposite direction to the crankshaft which drastically reduced (or maybe eliminated) this effect.
I had a BMW R1100RT that did the same thing.
Must've been nice. That was one of those 'if only' bikes for me, but we can't have them all.
Unless your name is Jay Leno or something...
 
Thread starter

I recently moved on to a V7 850, replacing the V7iii Carbon so I still have the new bike itch to take every opportunity to go for a ride. The first ride of the year, on Sunday Jan 2nd, started out in beautiful sunshine and ended in moody fog, wet roads and a filthy bike. Here in the south of Sweden we tend to get the low pressure weather systems from the British Isles and conditions can change quickly. Temp wise I could have stayed out most of the day, but since everything was closed - i.e. no nice coffee destination - I cut it short. I have to say, the V7 850 continues to impress. The engine and gearbox has already loosened up noticeably and he stock map is really good. Calm idle, no hesitation when cold and smooth linear power. Overall it feels more substantial than the V7iii. No regrets!
 
Thread starter
Thanks! A very different beast compared to the CB1100. Where the CB is solid, refined and creamy smooth - a gentleman's express - the Goose is agricultural, quirky and soulful in an engaging way. However, slightly less so compared to its predecessor the V7iii in return for performance and size. Different enough to the V7iii to motivate a test ride - the changes may be to your liking or put you off.
 
Olof_imp said:
Thanks! A very different beast compared to the CB1100. Where the CB is solid, refined and creamy smooth - a gentleman's express - the Goose is agricultural, quirky and soulful in an engaging way. However, slightly less so compared to its predecessor the V7iii in return for performance and size. Different enough to the V7iii to motivate a test ride - the changes may be to your liking or put you off.
I love that engine. Quirky like you say but plenty of torque for it's size.
 
Guzzis get under your skin and stay there...I've had the V7, V7II, and currently rock a couple of V7III's...haven't made the leap to the new 850 because I don't find one quite to my liking yet and the nearest dealer is 8 hours away....definitely bikes with personality, as weird as that sounds...congrats!
 
DaSwami_imp said:
Guzzis get under your skin and stay there...I've had the V7, V7II, and currently rock a couple of V7III's...haven't made the leap to the new 850 because I don't find one quite to my liking yet and the nearest dealer is 8 hours away....definitely bikes with personality, as weird as that sounds...congrats!
Amen. :thumbsup:
 
Enjoy your Guzzi V85! I have a dealer right up the road and stop in just to admire them when in that area.

Motorcycles are like pizzas to me, I enjoy some more than others but don't dislike any of them. I can see the common draw to MG's and the CB1100, they're both modern yet somewhat retro.

I've owned 3 Guzzi's over the years starting with a new leftover 1972 V7 Sport I bought in 1974. ironically it replaced a 1973 CB750. In 2013 I picked up a Griso 1100 keeping it for a few years. In 2017 someone traded in a 2016 V7II Stone with 500 miles at the local Japanese MC dealer and every time I stopped in I would look it over, sit on it, and just reminisce about my 1972 V7. One day, after it had been on the floor for over 6 months, the sales manager came over and said "why don't you buy this bike?" The deal was IMO too good to pass up so I said OK load it in my truck. After they did, he made 2 more trips carrying boxes of stuff including the original mufflers (it had Agostini's which I didn't even realize), a NIB Guzzi 3/4 seat, fueling interface, and other stuff. That bike ran well (given its 48 hp), sounded awesome, and was fairly comfortable but decided I didn't need two similar retro twins (I have a 93 Airhead) so sold it a year ago.
Lately I got the bug for another retro, this time an I-4, so just recently bought a 2014 CB1100 which given the weather I've not had the opportunity to even ride yet. It feels nice just sitting on it and certainly looks great but i'll see come Spring.
 
Ollie_imp said:
Enjoy your Guzzi V85! I have a dealer right up the road and stop in just to admire them when in that area.

Motorcycles are like pizzas to me, I enjoy some more than others but don't dislike any of them. I can see the common draw to MG's and the CB1100, they're both modern yet somewhat retro.

I've owned 3 Guzzi's over the years starting with a new leftover 1972 V7 Sport I bought in 1974. ironically it replaced a 1973 CB750. In 2013 I picked up a Griso 1100 keeping it for a few years. In 2017 someone traded in a 2016 V7II Stone with 500 miles at the local Japanese MC dealer and every time I stopped in I would look it over, sit on it, and just reminisce about my 1972 V7. One day, after it had been on the floor for over 6 months, the sales manager came over and said "why don't you buy this bike?" The deal was IMO too good to pass up so I said OK load it in my truck. After they did, he made 2 more trips carrying boxes of stuff including the original mufflers (it had Agostini's which I didn't even realize), a NIB Guzzi 3/4 seat, fueling interface, and other stuff. That bike ran well (given its 48 hp), sounded awesome, and was fairly comfortable but decided I didn't need two similar retro twins (I have a 93 Airhead) so sold it a year ago.
Lately I got the bug for another retro, this time an I-4, so just recently bought a 2014 CB1100 which given the weather I've not had the opportunity to even ride yet. It feels nice just sitting on it and certainly looks great but i'll see come Spring.
A good perspective and story Ollie.
 
Thank you GoldOxide. I wouldn't rule out getting another Guzzi but the commitment I made to myself after picking up the CB1100 is to start reducing the number of bikes I have by selling 2 before adding 1.
 
Back
Top