Bye for now - Guzzi replaces CB1100

Olof_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The CB1100RS was a great friend on the 3000 km trip to Lapland. However as the days went by I was increasingly bothered by the handlebar buzz. I had tingling fingers for several days after returning home. I tried Grip Puppes, heavier bar ends and different grips with little difference so I gave up and sold it. Instead this ended up in my garage - a Moto Guzzi V7iii Carbon, with very low miles. Compared to the CB its totally antique, slow and basic but eager, fun and full of character. Fuelling is not on par with the CB but surprisingly good considering the crude hardware (single throttle and basic Magneti Marelli MIUG3 ECU). Gearbox is slow but really sweet. Most importantly my hands are fine on it. The looks - matte black.with red valve covers is an eyesore to some but I happen to like it. I miss the CB a lot, but most the seating position. Guzzi for some reason gave this bike a low seat, forward-ish pegs and a low seat and the combination does not work for me. Agostini rearsets and a higher seat is in the mail, we'll se if that helps or if I need to change the handlebar too. Early days still but so far I'm as happy as can be without a CB. I guess I'll be spending less time here now so bye for now and thanks for a really great forum.

 
Congrats on the new ride Olof. Guzzi's are certainly different. Hope you come to enjoy it. Don't be a stranger. Let us know once in awhile how you are getting along with the Guzzi.
 
I can understand the change, and the Guzzi is a very nice bike. I have to say that I am more comfortable riding my Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC than the CB1100, but this is mostly because being tall I am more stretched out on the Triumph. Can't say I suffer from buzzing on the Honda though.

I loved your ride report this summer and would love it if you provide us with more such reports now on the Guzzi even if this is a CB1100 forum.
 
Olof, keep us updated about your rides, no matter what you ride.
Enjoy your Guzzi, a fine motorcycle.
:beerchug:
 
I love the black with the red valve covers. Cool look!
What year is it? I test rode the 2021 V7 with the 850 motor recently and loved it. If I didn't have the CB I'd jump on one in a heartbeat.
 
Moto Guzzis have soul.

Congratulations Olof on your new ride. How you feel about your ride is all that matters. That is the therapy. That is your therapy.

The V7 looks great. I like it.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Congrats on your V7! Great bike.

I went the other way — from a V7 to a CB1100.
I totally agree. Went from a Cali to the CB. The CB is a much better bike in my opinion. But not for everyone.
 
Congratulations, Olof. I hope the Guzzi works out better for you.

As others have said, don't be a stranger. We'd still like to hear from you.
 
Congratulations with your new bike. I really love those Guzzi V7's (and I own a MG Griso) but they are just a tad too slow and small for my liking. Nevertheless: great choice!!!
 
This does make me wonder what is causing these bikes to vibrate. I'm thinking it has very little to personal sensitivity to vibration; but a problem with some bikes. I wonder what is really up with them.

Now mine will give me some tingles at certain rpm's but not at the steady rpm's I ride at. So that does leave open the rpm ranges they like to play in.

I've been tempted by the new Guzzi Specials (especially the dark blue version). But I think a CRF300L has a better chance of joining the stable. :)

Enjoy the Guzzi. They do indeed pull certain strings.
 
Short of getting a person susceptible to the vibrations to ride lots of different CB1100s and see whether the problem occurs on all of them, or finding someone who doesn't feel them to ride an allegedly vibey bike, I don't suppose we'll ever know. I'm conscious of vibrations at certain rev ranges, but I don't find it uncomfortable or irritating; nor do my hands go numb.
 
Thread starter
Thanks för all kind comments, much appreciated. I"m probably more sensitive to vibration than most, perhaps from my years in arctic military service. In line fours, with their high frequency buzz, tend to bother me more than L-twins and triples.

Regarding the CB1100: I've ridden three different ones and they all behaved exactly the same. A great bike in all respects, but not for me as you say. It is believed that vibration has a cumulative damaging effect and these days I'm not risking it any more.

The V7, finally, is a little gem. The more I tinker with it the more impressed I am by the technical elegance and the soulfulness. Within it's own frame of reference. I have some small tweaks in mind, I'll let you know when realised.
 
I'm bothered by throbs in an engine. 270 degree parallel twins (which mimic V twins) throb and it annoys me. My brothers T-120 Bonnie throbs and he loves it but I didn't care for it. Now my new NC 750X is a 270 parallel twin and it throbs. Annoys the heck out of me. Luckily it has enough other good attributes that I can put up with it, or at least I'm learning to live with it. Don't think I'll ever come to enjoy it though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm bothered by throbs in an engine. 270 degree parallel twins (which mimic V twins) throb and it annoys me. My brothers T-120 Bonnie throbs and he loves it but I didn't care for it. Now my new NC 750X is a 270 parallel twin and it throbs. Annoys the heck out of me. Luckily it has enough other good attributes that I can put up with it, or at least I'm learning to live with it. Don't think I'll ever come to enjoy it though.
Yeah, it ain't no CB1100.

But, it ain't no Yamaha Heritage Special either with its 360 degree engine.

I think for a twin it is pretty smooth, and yeah, smoother than all Bonnies.
 
:rofl:

LOl I had 3 of those and loved those. A 73, a 79 and an 81. Vibes I don't mind.
 
Also my 2003 865 Triumph T-100 was a 360 twin, but it had a counter balancer and was quite smooth.
 
Back
Top