Buzzing Instrument Cluster

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Since I installed a windshield (not touching the speedo or tach) I hear a buzzing noise resonating against the windshield. It sounds like something loose in the part between the speedo and tach where the clock and gear indicator light is. Anyone else experienced this? The buzzing may have been there since day one but I couldn't hear it prior to adding the windshield. It is quite annoying and is very noticeabe when changing gears.
 
After installing a Plexi II, I noticed that also. I checked carefully to make sure the shield was not touching anywhere, but the buzzing is there, only at a certain speed range though. Sorry, I don't remember the hi and low points, but at highway speeds I don't hear it.

Ken
 
I have a Puig plus and I have a buzz too. Haven't been able to find it yet. I only hear it at idle before I start riding.
 
Remember the instruments are mounted in rubber and will move. Maybe there is enough clearance when not running but not enough when under load. Just a thought. When you hear it if you steady the instruments does it stop?
 
Many Hondas have connectors inside the headlight shell that vibrate unless repacked with foam or otherwise isolated.
My CB doesn't have this vibe (at least not yet), but my VTX 1800 did, and my CBF1000 had numerous control panel vibes that needed to be addressed.
 
My NC shield will buzz if the lower connection touch the fork, not sure what shield you have. The front end will omit vibration and it doesn't take much for the shield to buzz, rattle etc. make sure not only the shield but any metal connection are away from the forks, headlight etc.

Bring the rpm's up on the center stand or side stand until you hear the buzz and hold the shield, if it goes away that's your problem.
 
CIP57_imp said:
My NC shield will buzz if the lower connection touch the fork, not sure what shield you have. The front end will omit vibration and it doesn't take much for the shield to buzz, rattle etc. make sure not only the shield but any metal connection are away from the forks, headlight etc.

Bring the rpm's up on the center stand or side stand until you hear the buzz and hold the shield, if it goes away that's your problem.
Funny how some noises seem to come from other places, like the instrument cluster.

I just remembered (Duh!) that I had this too with my NC EX Shield and it was exactly where the lower attachment rod touched the band clamp on each fork tube. Although my noise was more of a metallic clink at every bump.
I put some black rubber tubing over the lower rods where they contacted the band clamps and the noise was gone. I actually stole a few short pieces from the flexible tube on my anti-freeze tester. You cannot even tell that it was not intended for the shield support rods.
 
Mine recently developed a buzz!!! I have no windshield, but if anyone has a lead, let me know! It's super annoying!
 
Thread starter
I am able to replicate the buzzing I am hearing by bumping the top of the instrument cluster with my fist. When I do that and press on the display screen, the buzzing goes away! Weather permitting, I'm going to ride by my Honda dealership where I bought the cycle and demonstrate what I have discovered and see what they say. So far, they have been very nice to me, being that I have bought two new cycles from them in the past.

I checked both the upper and lower rods to my Street Shield EX windshield and no vibration was detected. I ride a 2014 Std. if that makes any difference.
 
Thread starter
Well I went by my local Honda shop today and explained the buzzing noise I had identified as coming from the inside of the instrument display. The service manager's first response was "he'd never heard of it". About that time the owner of the dealership came by and asked a lot of questions. The service manager quickly called American Honda and explained to a technical support person what I had explained to him. After the technical guy talked to someone else the service manager said he was told "Honda is aware of the noise but is not going to do anything about it AS THEY DO NOT CONSIDER NOISE TO BE A DEFECT." He then suggested I remove my windshield so I can't hear the buzzing. What a crock of bull that was. Service manager said the shop would be happy to tear into or replace the instrument display--on my dime. I told him I was not interested in paying them $100 an hour to tinker around with the cycle. He also said I could call Honda customer service but I see that as a futile effort. I hope Honda reads these bulletin boards to see firsthand what their lower line people are telling the dealerships about warranty work..
 
Has anyone tried buying tiny rubber o-rings and sliding them onto whatever screws or bolts are used to install the windshield?

Its not B.S. that Honda won't spend time investigating a noise caused by an aftermarket product being installed by an owner.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Has anyone tried buying tiny rubber o-rings and sliding them onto whatever screws or bolts are used to install the windshield?

Its not B.S. that Honda won't spend time investigating a noise caused by an aftermarket product being installed by an owner.
With respect, Classic, while you're right that there's no reason for Honda to investigate a noise caused by an aftermarket part, White Dog's post suggests that the noise has nothing to do with the screen. Rather there is a noise that Honda's aware of and is not going to address. Honda suggested taking the screen off so that White Dog couldn't hear it. That doesn't mean the noise will go away.

It's an odd response, if you ask me. Which you didn't.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
Has anyone tried buying tiny rubber o-rings and sliding them onto whatever screws or bolts are used to install the windshield?

Its not B.S. that Honda won't spend time investigating a noise caused by an aftermarket product being installed by an owner.
Classic VW
Please read posts more carefully. No one (including me, the original poster) blames MY rattle/buzz on MY windshield. It is coming from the instrument cluster as I mentioned in my second post. The sound bounces off the windshield when I am riding.
 
Apologies for missing that detail. I'll try and do better.
Thanks for the "with respect" and explanation, Cormanus in pointing out my error.
 
I have the "buzzing", too, but with my road comet fairing and only between 2k-3k rpm ... I, too, believe it comes from the cable routing inside the front light assembly, since I also installed after market turn signals. After reading this thread, I am very inspired, to spend some time to improve the cable routing, since all other tricks have not been successful.
 
I really didn't even think about it being in the headlight shell, but a few have mentioned it and mjezek has convinced me to check in mine. I think I'll try looking in there this evening and maybe doing the foam wrapped connector thing.
 
Thread starter
What baffles me is when I was lightly beating on the instrument cluster, I could re-create the buzzing but when I pressed on the display the buzzing would stop. While riding, rpm between 2-3K with the buzzing, pressing on the display does not make the buzzing stop. So, I've got to look elsewhere or live with it. I've ruled out the windshield mounts already.
 
Back
Top