Buy without test ride?

Johnshiro_imp said:
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, it certainly has given me some useful information. I’m hoping test rides will be possible in the next few weeks and if I like the ride (which I think I will), I will buy it.
One more thing, I’ve always fitted a top box to my bikes but seem reluctant to do so with the CB1100EX for fear of damaging its stunning good looks.
Cheers once again,
John
I had the thought, until a forum member pictured his EMGO top box. It is small and inexpensive, but big enough to hold either of my helmets, spare gloves, ear plugs and other small items. It was also easy to install on my Honda rear rack.
 
Thread starter
Thanks once again guys, I’m overwhelmed with the response to my questions. My plan is to give it a few weeks for the showroom to open for test rides, I’m almost certain to buy one but I really do need to try the bike. With the top box, I think I’ll fit a rear carrier which will give me the option later on to fit a box or just strap a bag on it.
Keep safe guys, on the road and otherwise, cheers,
John
 
Probably a wise decision, Johnshiro. Keep us posted?
 
Welcome to the forum Johnshiro. I bought my CB1100 without test riding it first, hadn’t even started the engine, but when I sat on it at the dealer I knew it was for me. When I fired it up the first time for the ride home I couldn’t believe how quiet and smooth it was...and then the 20 mile ride home turned into a 95 mile detour with a big smile on my face the whole time. :D

Good luck with your decision, but guaranteed, you’ll love this bike.
 
Thread starter
Update: dealer has offered for me to go to the showroom, sit on the bike and have a go manoeuvring it about etc but no actual test ride until the lockdown is over (maybe a few weeks in Wales). What you guys think? I’m very keen to get it sorted because I have a week leave booked for June 22nd, many thanks for this great support, best regards,
John
 
Interesting discussion here about test rides at dealerships. I've encountered dealers who don't allow test rides at all, making your first ride the one you take home, and dealers who almost insist that you take a test ride. The dealer I bought my BMW from had loaner helmets and Roadcrafter suits for those who showed up unprepared.

I guess it depends on where you shop. As for a rack and luggage, that also depends on how important keeping the uncluttered look of the bike is to you. I'm a daily commuter, and much as I hate having something stick off the back of my bike, there's nothing more convenient than clicking a button and carrying my trunk in to the office with me.

I get more grief for a trunk on my Bonneville than the CB1100, but I don't care what someone else thinks, it's my bike.
 
Actually, Long Beach BMW. I walked in wearing shorts and a T-shirt. When they suited me up to take a test ride on an R1200R, it was hard to say no afterward. Good sales tool.

I did have Irv Seaver do some warranty and recall work, however. Repeated warranty and recall work is one reason I no longer own a BMW...
 
Johnshiro_imp said:
Update: dealer has offered for me to go to the showroom, sit on the bike and have a go manoeuvring it about etc but no actual test ride until the lockdown is over (maybe a few weeks in Wales). What you guys think? I’m very keen to get it sorted because I have a week leave booked for June 22nd, many thanks for this great support, best regards,
John
Sitting on bike, that will make you want to purchase. "Manoeuvring it about"--if by that you mean walking it back and forth as if in garage--then that may make you think twice. It really shouldn't. Sometimes instead of walking the bike into my garage like I would lighter bikes I've had, I simply start it up and let the bike do the "manoeuvring" bit.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Johnshiro_imp said:
Update: dealer has offered for me to go to the showroom, sit on the bike and have a go manoeuvring it about etc but no actual test ride until the lockdown is over (maybe a few weeks in Wales). What you guys think? I’m very keen to get it sorted because I have a week leave booked for June 22nd, many thanks for this great support, best regards,
John
Sitting on bike, that will make you want to purchase. "Manoeuvring it about"--if by that you mean walking it back and forth as if in garage--then that may make you think twice. It really shouldn't. Sometimes instead of walking the bike into my garage like I would lighter bikes I've had, I simply start it up and let the bike do the "manoeuvring" bit.
Sitting on bike, that will make you want to purchase. "Manoeuvring it about"--if by that you mean walking it back and forth as if in garage--then that may make you think twice. It really shouldn't. Sometimes instead of walking the bike into my garage like I would lighter bikes I've had, I simply start it up and let the bike do the "manoeuvring" bit.
^^ +1
 
Welcome Johnshiro. I am 6'1" tall, weigh 190 lbs. soaking wet, and am 68 years old. Back in the day I bought a new 1974 CB750 Four and absolutely loved it. The CB1100 is the closest ( IMHO ) bike there will ever be to that classic, albeit a more modern more technically advanced version. If you have any past experience with the 750 Four, you will feel very at home with the CB1100.

Over the years I had many motorcycles. The bike I had prior to my CB1100EX was a 2007 Harley Softail Springer CVO. That bike weighed close to 800 lbs. wet. It was great on the highway in a straight line, but was like wrestling a tank around town, and rolling it around in the garage. Even though I am not as young as I once was, I can comfortably ride circles around what I would not have even thought about doing on the Harley. Am I bashing Harley, no, it just is what it is. I have no trouble putting the CB on the center stand ( love that center stand ) either.

I did not test drive my CB, but I was comfortable with my previous CB750 Four experience. I did sit on one several times, roll it around, take it off the center stand, and put it on the center stand at the dealership. The center stand, BTW, is more about technique than strength.
 
2017EX_imp said:
Welcome Johnshiro. I am 6'1" tall, weigh 190 lbs. soaking wet, and am 68 years old. Back in the day I bought a new 1974 CB750 Four and absolutely loved it. The CB1100 is the closest ( IMHO ) bike there will ever be to that classic, albeit a more modern more technically advanced version. If you have any past experience with the 750 Four, you will feel very at home with the CB1100.

Over the years I had many motorcycles. The bike I had prior to my CB1100EX was a 2007 Harley Softail Springer CVO. That bike weighed close to 800 lbs. wet. It was great on the highway in a straight line, but was like wrestling a tank around town, and rolling it around in the garage. Even though I am not as young as I once was, I can comfortably ride circles around what I would not have even thought about doing on the Harley. Am I bashing Harley, no, it just is what it is. I have no trouble putting the CB on the center stand ( love that center stand ) either.

I did not test drive my CB, but I was comfortable with my previous CB750 Four experience. I did sit on one several times, roll it around, take it off the center stand, and put it on the center stand at the dealership. The center stand, BTW, is more about technique than strength.
+1 on all of the above. My first street bike was a 1978 550 Four and my memories of that bike are what led me to the CB1100EX. I was a bit surprised at how heavy it felt for its physical size but happy to find it very easy to maneuver around--riding and/or with the engine off. As 2017EX mentioned--putting it up on the center stand is quite simple but is definitely about technique. Trying to "lift" it up will make the bike feel even heavier.

It's always great if you can test ride a bike--but based on your experience I wouldn't be worried about it.
 
Thread starter
Quick update: just thought you guys would like to know that after sitting on, handling and maneuvering the CB1100EX today, I decided to order one.
Thank you all for your amazing responses to my questions, with best regards,
John
 
Congrats John. Let us know when your baby arrives!
 
Congrats John!!! Can’t wait to see it! :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations, John. Pictures in due course, please.
 
Back
Top