Buy without test ride?

Johnshiro_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi guys, I’m a newbie to this forum, I live in South Wales and have been riding bikes since I was 16. Currently riding a Suzuki 650 VStrom but I am seriously considering a new CB1100EX.
Which kinda brings me to my first advice question, would it be wise to buy the said motorcycle without a test ride (due to lockdown restrictions in Wales) or should I wait? The biggest bike I’ve ridden was my Honda CBF1000 which I liked but it became problematic, so I part exchanged it for the Suzuki.
Any advice would be most welcome, and thanks for this great forum.
Cheers,
John
 
G'day Johnshiro and welcome to the forum. While I'm tempted to say you should buy it without the test ride, I'd like to know what became problematic about the CBF1000 before I do.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
G'day Johnshiro and welcome to the forum. While I'm tempted to say you should buy it without the test ride, I'd like to know what became problematic about the CBF1000 before I do.
Hi and thanks for your reply. The CBF1000 was having charging problems which seemed costly to repair, I had it for about 5 years and was problem free until then. My concern with the CB1100 is weight?

Cheers,

John
 
It is heavy when you're pushing it around and at low speed, but once it gets moving it's a delight.
 
Personally I would never buy a bike without riding it first. There are lots of options available, test riding bikes is fun (and free) and you will have a better idea of what you like instead of what other people like.
 
Johnshiro_imp said:
Hi guys, I’m a newbie to this forum, I live in South Wales and have been riding bikes since I was 16. Currently riding a Suzuki 650 VStrom but I am seriously considering a new CB1100EX.
Which kinda brings me to my first advice question, would it be wise to buy the said motorcycle without a test ride (due to lockdown restrictions in Wales) or should I wait? The biggest bike I’ve ridden was my Honda CBF1000 which I liked but it became problematic, so I part exchanged it for the Suzuki.
Any advice would be most welcome, and thanks for this great forum.
Cheers,
John
Hi, if you were a close friend, i would say buy before someone else does. I bought my 2017EX without even starting it, much less a test ride. I had a small advantage, I already owned a 2013 CB1100, and loved riding it, so I figured, new looks and a 6th gear. Smoothest bikes I have ever owned or ridden, and I have rode a few since 1969. You will not be sorry with this bike, most on this forum, if not all, swear by it!
 
Welcome to the group Johnshiro, the cb1100 is one of the best bikes out there, very few problems have been found over the 10 or so years the bike has been on the market with the exception of a small number of members with a 2014 model had an idle speed issue which is repairable and the bike is known to last for well over 100.000 kilometers.
If i am correct the cb1000 has had a well known number of stator failures which have led to rectifier failure when the stator has shorted to the chassis, even my honda dealer mentioned this here in nz.

As Cormanus mentioned the cb1100 is heavier than the cb1000, as such it needs more care in the way it is maneuvered, for example if stopped and maneuvering on a slope you need to be sure the ground is not sloped too far down so the bike can not be supported as is the case with flat ground, it also has a lower seat height.
As with most bikes the weight falls away as soon as the bike is moving, it's handling is very gentle and intuitive ( neutral steering ) but by no means slow, both in town or on rural roads, so if you can adapt and appreciate it's weight you will grow very fond of it and find out that it's a lovely good looking bike as we all have.
 
the cbf is in comparison to our cb a top sportbike in case of engine charakter lean angle and weight....

i had too one time a cbf1000....made ca 40000km with it

if you like cruising you will like our CB....you could mean there is still the rain drive mode activ....its so soft and smooth...the ergonomics is for my 173cm better much more confi as by theCBF1000

i reached the ground better at the CBF bcos the saddle of our CB is wider
 
Thread starter
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, it certainly has given me some useful information. I’m hoping test rides will be possible in the next few weeks and if I like the ride (which I think I will), I will buy it.
One more thing, I’ve always fitted a top box to my bikes but seem reluctant to do so with the CB1100EX for fear of damaging its stunning good looks.
Cheers once again,
John
 
You are right about looks with a top box, but a whole lot of us, including me, have one. I think mine is 46 liters. The 52 or 53 ones are BIG. Too big I think. I have that size on my ST1300 and put it on the CB once to see. Did I say it was BIG? Cause it was :)

They don’t really look bad though. Even Honda makes one for it. Mine are Givi.
 
Welcome, Johnshiro. I will advise at least sitting on one first, if you can. The ergos are important and if you like the way the bike looks and can guess that you will be comfortable on it, then you will only need to factor in the weight as mentioned above.

That it doesn't have incredible power will need to be understood as well. Some have been underwhelmed. This is an 1,140cc engine built for reliability and general usability with a torque "curve" that's flat as a tabletop.

Good luck!
 
I would certainly test ride one first. The bike is heavy--approaching 600 pounds wet. The weight hides itself well once rolling, but that is true of any bike. Pushing it around, loading it onto a lift and even getting it up on its centerstand requires more care than lighter bikes. The engine is quite smooth and has a broad torque curve for an inline 4, but it is not very powerful or torquey compared to many other bikes, nor is it particularly fast. My 15 year old 1000cc air cooled Ducati would leave my 2017 CB1100EX for dead at any point in the rev range. Also, the CB top speed is limited to 112 mph, if that matters to you. That said, I love the way my CB looks, I am a huge fan of the air cooled motor (probably nostalgia there), and the ride is very smooth. Also be sure to pay attention to the footpeg placement. While the seating position is upright, the pegs are higher up and further back than other "competing" retro bikes like a Triumph Bonneville. The ergos are very different and be sure you are okay with your knees much more bent and your feet farther back. All this is my way of suggesting you test ride it.
 
I have a Shad 48 liter on my BMW R1200R and it easily removes when I don’t need it.....you install the factory rear rack and Shad make various sized top boxes with a quick release mounting plate......SAMURIDER sells the factory Honda color matched 39 liter top box for the CB that looks very nice too. If you order a Shad make sure you buy the backrest pad too.....the Honda box can be keyed to match your ignition
 
After sitting on the bike and determining you fit on it comfortably, as an experienced rider I’m not sure you’d learn anything from a test ride. This isn’t a sport bike, so a test ride isn’t going to thrill you with breathtaking acceleration or racetrack handling and responsiveness. The CB is a supremely smooth, comfortable, and extremely forgiving jewel of a motorcycle, and makes no pretense that’s it’s anything but that. It makes more than sufficient power for street riding and looks great while doing so. You’ll be impressed with the build quality, refinement, and attention to detail. Despite the weight, it handles easily with its narrow tires and upright ergos, and offers much more capability and riding satisfaction than a test ride could demonstrate. If this is the ownership experience you’re after, skip the test ride and just buy the bike. You won’t be sorry!
 
apex1_imp said:
I would certainly test ride one first. The bike is heavy--approaching 600 pounds wet. The weight hides itself well once rolling, but that is true of any bike. Pushing it around, loading it onto a lift and even getting it up on its centerstand requires more care than lighter bikes. The engine is quite smooth and has a broad torque curve for an inline 4, but it is not very powerful or torquey compared to many other bikes, nor is it particularly fast. My 15 year old 1000cc air cooled Ducati would leave my 2017 CB1100EX for dead at any point in the rev range. Also, the CB top speed is limited to 112 mph, if that matters to you. That said, I love the way my CB looks, I am a huge fan of the air cooled motor (probably nostalgia there), and the ride is very smooth. Also be sure to pay attention to the footpeg placement. While the seating position is upright, the pegs are higher up and further back than other "competing" retro bikes like a Triumph Bonneville. The ergos are very different and be sure you are okay with your knees much more bent and your feet farther back. All this is my way of suggesting you test ride it.
+1 on the above; however, I'm 6'3" / 195cm, and I found that by putting a 1" pad on the seat, it raises me just enough to take the strain off knees and hips.

The bike is quiet compared to most bikes, very little growl or throaty sound to it compared to the Triumphs for example. So short of test ride / start up at dealership, I'd listen to some youtube videos.

Weight...I don't notice it at all while riding. Wait, that's not true...I actually really like it on hiways, particularly on windy days or any oncoming truck traffic. The CB1100 stays put.
 
he had a CBF1000...and this bike has a tighter knee angle as our CB...the sitting position is much more upright as the CBF and the CBF has a small supersport stub handlebar compared to our CB ....just our CB is way more comfortable as the CBF1000
 
I would try it ... the limit of this motorcycle is the medium-long journeys, being a motorcycle of reduced size, the knee angle and very closed for both rider and passenger
 
Houtman_imp said:
No need for a test ride , just buy one and you WILL like it !
Yes, but I know the CB. Rider and bike will find their way to and with each other after the process is started to work together. Some may be found out on a testride, the real long time test begins after having bought the CB. The CB is easy to like. So many thinks and parts that need no long time to get used to. That's what I think.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top