Buy New 2014 or 2017 EX

shawn1260_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi Everyone,
I sold Honda's in the eighties I had both the CB1100 and CB750, I am going to buy a new CB1100 and I can get a good deal on the 2014. My question is this, its going to be a weekend bike maybe to work now and then, do I need the ABS and larger fuel tank in the 2017 or save some money and buy the 2014. Thank you for any input.
 
shawn, howdy and welcome to the forum. From a practical standpoint you just can't go wrong either way. I think it comes down to which look you like and if you're willing to spend the extra jingle for the 2017, or if you'd rather spend that extra jingle on gas, oil and tires.
 
G'day Shawn and welcome aboard. Earlier today I would have advised you get the new one with ABS on the grounds that there was broad agreement on the forum as to its desirability. Thank heavens I didn't; there's been an outbreak of dissent again and we no longer have an official position.

Seriously, Ferret's answer is the right one. The small fuel tank is a pest if you're routinely going to ride at the limits of it's range. From what you said that won't be a problem. Unless you really, really want the new one, if you can get a good deal on a 2014, go for it.
 
Well, to me, your choice isn't comparing two unlike bikes, such as a CB1100 vs a H-D Road King where the answer to what to buy is in how you intend to use it. IMO, you're comparing apples to apples.

Ask yourself if a 2014 at a discounted $6500 price is 'good enough' for you as opposed to a new, certainly for a while undiscounted $12,000 price tag. It's a no brainer for me, but I don't have an unlimited budget for my M/C hobby.
 
Shawn, When the CB1100 first came to the States, I too debated about purchasing new. Then I waited a couple years and found a nice, pre-owned 2013 standard. I just went on a ride the other day and it was 35 degrees outside and I still had that big smile on my face! So, it comes down to whatever floats your boat. You can find a new one (discounted) or a nearly new one and make it your own adding on accessories with the money you saved. The CB1100 for me has all the torque I need for my style of riding. I took a 1500 mile road trip and stopping for fuel was never an issue. I was really able to enjoy the "ride" and not just rushing to the destination as they say. My benchmark is I also have a '74 CB750. Both bikes have a great engine design and are pleasing to the eyes and ride too. The CB1100 can fit your needs, just check out this forum and see what others have done to make it their own. Good luck, Russ
 
Or, just buy them both. That is the simplest answer.
 
Every vehicle you see on the road is a used vehicle. The "new car smell" only exists when the vehicle is on display on the showroom floor, unregistered. Economically, the new leftover bike is the best choice. Emotionally, well, only you can decide that.
 
LIke Ferret said...which one looks the best for you.
w/ the 2014...can you live with it being all black?

Otherwise, for a Saturday -or- Sunday fun ride, the small gas tank will do you fine.
But a Saturday and Sunday joy ride w/ a sleepover in a motel somewhere, you may want to
bring some spare fuel just in case. On my last road trip headed into another state, I bypassed the interstate, took the back roads meandering all over the Atchafalaya basin, almost ran out of gas trying to get to the next stop on my DLX.
 
Thread starter
Thank you everyone for all you thoughts, I am going to go and buy my new 2014 this week. I will be on this forum as a regular and look forward to becoming apart of the CB1100 family. Thanks again to everyone, Shawn
 
Good on you Shawn. Look forward to pictures of the new bike and hearing more from you.
 
jedd_imp said:
LIke Ferret said...which one looks the best for you.
w/ the 2014...can you live with it being all black?

Otherwise, for a Saturday -or- Sunday fun ride, the small gas tank will do you fine.
But a Saturday and Sunday joy ride w/ a sleepover in a motel somewhere, you may want to
bring some spare fuel just in case. On my last road trip headed into another state, I bypassed the interstate, took the back roads meandering all over the Atchafalaya basin, almost ran out of gas trying to get to the next stop on my DLX.
Live with it? That's WHY the OP chooses the '14! : )
 
I didn't see the price for the 2014. I bought a new 2013 for $5999 plus $300 freight, I did the sales tax and registration on my own. A 2014 should be a bit more maybe $800 at most a thousand. Drive a hard bargain as the bike was never a good seller which is good for us buyers!
 
I think you did great, choosing the 14 over the new 17. The main reason being cost, for that price difference I'd gladly go with 'new, old stock'.
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
I didn't see the price for the 2014. I bought a new 2013 for $5999 plus $300 freight, I did the sales tax and registration on my own. A 2014 should be a bit more maybe $800 at most a thousand. Drive a hard bargain as the bike was never a good seller which is good for us buyers!
How hard did you have to twist arms to get that price? Or was the dealer willing to negotiate? Thanks!
 
I just put $2000 down on a new 2016 CB500F. Got a pretty good deal with the bike going for $1100 below list ($4899). Hope to have it in my garage in a week. Can't wait to get back on the road!
 
Back
Top