Bug splatter ...

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am curious:

How do we clean bug splatter off our helmet visors and motorcycle windshields?

For decades I have successfully used a basic soft cloth and non-ammonia glass cleaner. I find myself cleaning the visor daily during the primary riding season and wish not to spend more than one minute doing the chore. Otherwise, during the winter season I might spend the extra time including dealing with the liners.

What is your voodoo ritual?
 
I clean bugs off my helmet face shield daily, all I use is soft wash cloth and warm tap water for washing, soft dry wash cloth for drying.

The windshield gets ( if you don't count rain) cleaned twice a year when I wash the bike, then polished with lexus plastic cleaner.
 
+1 for Plexus. I use the one with the blue label for my shields and wind screen.
 
Warm water on a cloth and then a dry cloth for the visor. Mr Sheen if it’s lucky.

What screen? :D
 
I also use Plexus for the windshield and helmet visor (and the plexi windows on the plane). That stuff is getting pricey at around $23 for the 13 oz can. A friend of mine has been testing out Prist Windscreen cleaner and advises that it does just as good a job for less than half the cost.
 
+1 on the liquid or moist cloth, also someone in the past pointed out to wipe vertically instead of left to right, i thought he was having me on until i held my visor up to the sun, rotated it and noticed the difference, sunlight is polarized, see for yourself.
Been cleaning vertical only since then with optimal results.
 
pdedse_imp said:
warm water and soap
Me too. Fingertips only. Two helmets, soak one visor with hot, VERY soapy water and leave to soak and soften the bugs, while you soak the second visor. Then back to the first visor and the crap just slides off under your soft, soapy fingers. NO fingernail scratching, no cloths, just gentle bathing with the hot soapy water and soft fingertips. Rinse under the tap, dry with a soft microfibre cloth, NOT kitchen towel which is scratchy.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
+1 on the liquid or moist cloth, also someone in the past pointed out to wipe vertically instead of left to right, i thought he was having me on until i held my visor up to the sun, rotated it and noticed the difference, sunlight is polarized, see for yourself.
Been cleaning vertical only since then with optimal results.
Interesting indeed. Will have to try that.
 
That's a very interesting point, Max.

I soften the bugs and only use fingertips, to ensure NO scratching. It's important that the hardened wing cases, blood, etc of these bugs are not dragged dry and unsoftened across the plastic. So I soak first, and you can actually feel when it's all soft. At that point, the stuff just washes away. Cheap too! ;)
 
Pledge Furniture Polish. A can goes into the saddle bag to clean helmet, windscreen, the bike, and it works as a bit of water repellent in a pinch. best of all once it is on the surface the bugs come off more easily after that.

Once the season is over then I wash the liner of the helmet and fabric jacket.
jim
 
Johnson's Pledge before a ride on fork tubes and Dart Marlin flyscreen make cleaning easier. Then soak a new shop towel, wring out and heat in microwave 15 seconds before laying across bug splattered areas.
 
max_imp said:
+1 on the liquid or moist cloth, also someone in the past pointed out to wipe vertically instead of left to right, i thought he was having me on until i held my visor up to the sun, rotated it and noticed the difference, sunlight is polarized, see for yourself.
Been cleaning vertical only since then with optimal results.
+1 :beerchug:
 
Original Bike Spirits Polish

5fc13e0cd1f5a11333876e2a83e8eeee.jpg


Spray on, do other things while bugs soften, wipe with clean microfiber rag.

Some buddies told me that the OBS formula was copied from Pro Honda Polish.

6084c9d2eca91b362bce0d71103c25d7.jpg


If so, Original Bike Spirits one-upped Pro Honda. The Pro Honda formula is more watery and less effective. It leaves swirl marks that are harder to get rid of. It also has a spray pattern that is too wide. The Original Bike Spirits is more directional when sprayed and its thicker consistency seems to work faster.

I like Plexus for windshields but avoid it on visors. In high humidity conditions, Plexus will glaze over white and make it very hard to see.
 
Have never had the glazing over issue with Plexus. In fact, I stopped using Honda Spray on my visor because of the residue it leaves behind and found that Plexus leaves none (or none that interferes with my vision).

One of my friends use a product that comes in a small spray-pump bottle. I don’t know the brand, but I’ve used it a couple of times and seems to work.
 
I use Plexus. I've never had any glazing over issues. Interesting observation though.

I will say that if there are bugs on the screen I use the wet rag trick to soften them first and do the final cleaning with Plexus.
 
Back
Top