Bridgestone Battlax T30 Review

lola_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hello All!

Another beautiful 75-80 degree F weather here in southern california so decided to scrub the new tires in... the route I chose was up Stunt canyon Rd to Piuma Canyon Road then finishing up the trip through Mulholland Hwy then back around again... A popular route for anybody and everybody that has wheels bolted onto axles,literally.



there are two versions of the Battlax T30. The Regular T30 which I have and the T30 GT for the heavier Sport Tourers.Single Compound Front & Dual Compound Rear.

Size 110-80-18 front / 160-60-18 Rear

$217.00 Shipped from Revzilla.

Before heading out I set the tire pressure to 31psi cold both front and rear and made sure everything on the bike was sound. When I got to the twisty bits of Stunt Rd I spent about 10mins warming up the tires then proceeded to pick up the pace. Dry Grip is excellent! there were instances were I would have to adjust lean angle going in too hot or avoid debris mid corner and was able to come out clean with no drama coming from the tires. Flickability from left to right is improved that the bike actually felt like it lost a bit of weight. Bridgestone Says the belt construction are improved to save weight on tire construction. Braking felt solid and also powering out a turn felt minimal tire deflection. Overall great tires but there is a take away for having grippy tires and that would be tire stiffness of the t30. Cruising on the interstate and going over patches on the road felt annoying, very stiff.... Well I hope the touring part of the tire lives up to the name but only miles/kilometers will tell.... Now for the Pictures!

Rossi Testing The T30
[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/Battlax-T30-Vale-Approved1_zpsmvsclahx.jpg.html]

Looking down Stunt Canyon Road
[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/piuma1%201%20of%201_zpsfwfbh8r2.jpg.html]

Piuma Canyon Road in the background right
[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/piuma2%201%20of%201_zpsrp4o6ooj.jpg.html]

the Rock Store on Mulholland Hwy
[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/piuma3%201%20of%201_zps0uhpxq63.jpg.html]

[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/piuma5%201%20of%201_zps9zq31ku4.jpg.html]

Hot & Sticky tire
[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/piuma4%201%20of%201_zpsfj8ewfky.jpg.html]

Fill up after a hot day
[url=http://s964.photobucket.com/user/jdcmendiola/media/jb%20magtan%20jb4/piuma%201%20of%201_zpshuiyx9wf.jpg.html]
 
Cool pics and you look the business. Mountain and Rock Store pics are really cool. Those gloves are wild looking.

That map looks like it would make for a good tire test.
 
Thread starter
thanks mickey! I've had the gloves for a about a month now and they're Held phantom 2 gloves .Been looking for a summer glove with no perforations in the palms and these fit the bill, no perforations and are made out of kangaroo leather and sting ray . Not bad at all
 
Thanks for the T30 review. I'm looking forward, to get mine next Monday.

I've worn 4 or 5 pairs of T30 already at my BMW. Best tire I've had so far.

Btw, how far did you lean? At the closeup of the rear tire, it looks like there is unused cap at the edge. I'm not asking to tease you, but because I've heard rumors, one cannot use this tire to the edge for leaning clearance restrictions. What do you think?
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Good review. Interesting as my Michelins will die soon. Wonder if the T30s are available in Oz.

Cheers, and thanks
Your welcome! If not I think revzilla sells & ships worldwide.

Django,
None taken :) for a 160 tire I have about 1/4 inch left of unused tire and felt that going even further would be sketchy on public road. Do you feel the tire is stiff on your bmw?
 
I have T30's on my other Honda and I like them very much.
I don't push it as hard as I might have as a much younger man (I'm 77), and I admit to having chicken strips, but for my style of riding these days, they're more than adequate.
I'm quite sure they would perform to a much greater degree than I am capable of - or would want to do these days.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for sharing youre input Rocky! When I was younger it felt like running tires to the edge and having no chicken strips is a badge of honor ,silly me... Now I find it ridiculous.

Django or rocky, any comments on milage on the t30's
 
lola_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Good review. Interesting as my Michelins will die soon. Wonder if the T30s are available in Oz.

Cheers, and thanks
Your welcome! If not I think revzilla sells & ships worldwide.

Django,
None taken :) for a 160 tire I have about 1/4 inch left of unused tire and felt that going even further would be sketchy on public road. Do you feel the tire is stiff on your bmw?
Not at all. The T30 was just very neutral on my BMW K1100RS.

However this K had front 120/70 ZR 17 and rear 160/60 ZR 18 and about 30 kg more mass than the CB. There is a link in my signature to a picture of my K. Unforunatly it died last autumn after 21 years and only 127,000 km and now I ride the CB.

May be, you experienced this stiffness coming from 140 to 160 at the rear wheel?
 
lola_imp said:
Thanks for sharing youre input Rocky! When I was younger it felt like running tires to the edge and having no chicken strips is a badge of honor ,silly me... Now I find it ridiculous.

Django or rocky, any comments on milage on the t30's
I've only had them on for one summer, which is about 3500 km's (2200 miles), so can't report on wear.
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
lola_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Good review. Interesting as my Michelins will die soon. Wonder if the T30s are available in Oz.

Cheers, and thanks
Your welcome! If not I think revzilla sells & ships worldwide.

Django,
None taken :) for a 160 tire I have about 1/4 inch left of unused tire and felt that going even further would be sketchy on public road. Do you feel the tire is stiff on your bmw?
Not at all. The T30 was just very neutral on my BMW K1100RS.

However this K had front 120/70 ZR 17 and rear 160/60 ZR 18 and about 30 kg more mass than the CB. There is a link in my signature to a picture of my K. Unforunatly it died last autumn after 21 years and only 127,000 km and now I ride the CB.

May be, you experienced this stiffness coming from 140 to 160 at the rear wheel?
Not at all. The T30 was just very neutral on my BMW K1100RS.

However this K had front 120/70 ZR 17 and rear 160/60 ZR 18 and about 30 kg more mass than the CB. There is a link in my signature to a picture of my K. Unforunatly it died last autumn after 21 years and only 127,000 km and now I ride the CB.

May be, you experienced this stiffness coming from 140 to 160 at the rear wheel?
I think your right a bout the wider profile of the rear tire. Thank you for your feedback!
 
Concerning mileage: at the BMW I averaged between 6,000 and 7,000 km max (which is about 3,700 - 4,400 miles). The front tire died before the rear tire.

But then, the K was 30 kg heavier than the CB and had more power. I would expect at least 1,000 km more mileage at the CB.

I ride mostly back country roads, many curves, accelerating and braking.
 
Thread starter
Ive seen A video on youtube with a guy on kawasaki zx14, heavier and more powerfull bike and only got 4400 - 5000 miles on the rear tire but the fronts were okay.

So I think it really depends on how we ride our bikes and where. I'm not a fast rider and since the CB is lighter than your BMW K a little more out of them is a welcome . Thanks again for your input Django!!!!

RIP K1100RS
 
At the risk of exposing my ignorance, Lola, why did you set the pressure at 31 psi? Is that the pressure Bridgestone recommends (a lot less that Honda's recommended tyre pressure) or to allow you to expose more rubber to the road while you scrub in the tyres?

Great report. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
No worries Cornamus. youre right about getting more surface to scrub the tires but Also to not overheat the tire on a hot day when youre pushing it. A little overkill for some but it doesnt hurt trying it.
 
This is a general question about chicken strips:

Gravy or BBQ sauce? :cool:

Seriously, I have a lot more strip on my front tire, close to an inch. My rear has maybe 1/4 inch. These are the OE BT54s. I am wondering if it's different tire profiles, the bike, or my riding technique. I am not an aggressive cornerer, so I was a bit surprised to see how little chicken strip was left after I got the bike. The previous owner must have been a very timid rider given how huge they were before.
 
Thread starter
Gravy Guy Here :)

In all seriousness for me chicken strips dont mean squat in terms of skill or quickeness, We use to ride with a fella who had them on his rear tire which is a substantial amount of chicken strips(dnt lean much) but man he was so quick.

Youre also correct on tire profile, For example Dunlops Q2 Tires have a steeper tread drop on the edges of the tire and are taller in profile meaning there is enough tire even at extreme lean angles. I remember when Magazines were reviewing and testing them they were surprised to still see a little chicken strips left despite their race pace.
 
Back
Top