Break In and First Tank Mileage

Bbref36_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all - just a couple of comments on break in. I thought the manual was a little light on how to go about the break in period, so I talked with the service manager at the shop I work at. He suggested that I vary the RPMs and not hold the same RPM for an extended period of time.

With that knowledge I have ridden my bike 100 + miles and put gas in this AM. My mileage was only about 38 MPG, but I know on my first ride (s) i focused on moving the RPM's across the range. Maybe I was a little higher in to the revs than I thought, but....

Anyway, still love the bike and hopping to get some miles on it this weekend. Rained for 5 straight days here, which is unusual, so seeing the sun today is a great thing.

I will try and get a photo up soon. Mark
 
Mark, the bike only gets better, and so should the mileage. Many are getting high 40s to low 50 s, and the best I've read so far was 60. My last tank was 53 and hat was running it pretty hard for me. I have just over 1,000 miles on mine
 
I just put my first tank of gas in and the mileage was 56, 2.3 gallons over 129 miles.
I did not run it easy but this bike does not beg for spirited riding like some other bikes do.
I'm not paying too much attention to break-in other than varying the rpms.
 
Which octane is everyone using? I was hoping to use regular (87) even though I used to splurge with my older Ninja and put in 93 octane.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Which octane is everyone using? I was hoping to use regular (87) even though I used to splurge with my older Ninja and put in 93 octane.
My second tank is 91. Planning on running that most of the time.
 
Bbref36_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Which octane is everyone using? I was hoping to use regular (87) even though I used to splurge with my older Ninja and put in 93 octane.
My second tank is 91. Planning on running that most of the time.
Don't waste your money. 87 is champagne to a cb1100.
 
M3-SRT8_imp said:
Bbref36_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Which octane is everyone using? I was hoping to use regular (87) even though I used to splurge with my older Ninja and put in 93 octane.
My second tank is 91. Planning on running that most of the time.
Don't waste your money. 87 is champagne to a cb1100.
Don't waste your money. 87 is champagne to a cb1100.
I was wondering the same thing and my first thought was that 87 would be the right gas but I did go for 91 on that tank.

I just checked the owners manual and it recomends 86 or higher so I'll run 87 unless I experience engine knock.

I'll probably run 87 from here on.
 
I took the owners manual recomendation and ran regular gas. The compression ratio is only 9.5 to 1, so any higher grade would be a waste.

When I was hearing the ticking sounds on hard acceleration (that ultimately turned out to be just the FI working) I ran a couple of tanks of 91 and there was no difference.

My CB750 will develop some detonation (pinging on hard acceleration) when temps get over 105F. I have typically switched to midgrade for the hottest months and will probably do the same for the CB11. When the thermometer reads 105F in the shade, intake temps on hot asphalt, behind a hot engine are closer to 130.

Edit : Almost forgot. Filled up for the 10th time today. This tank was almost entirely city riding (with a heavy wrist) and turned in 41 mpg.
 
Thread starter
Bbref36_imp said:
Hi all - just a couple of comments on break in. I thought the manual was a little light on how to go about the break in period, so I talked with the service manager at the shop I work at. He suggested that I vary the RPMs and not hold the same RPM for an extended period of time.

With that knowledge I have ridden my bike 100 + miles and put gas in this AM. My mileage was only about 38 MPG, but I know on my first ride (s) i focused on moving the RPM's across the range. Maybe I was a little higher in to the revs than I thought, but....

Anyway, still love the bike and hopping to get some miles on it this weekend. Rained for 5 straight days here, which is unusual, so seeing the sun today is a great thing.

I will try and get a photo up soon. Mark
Second tank 43 MPH so it's going in the right direction.
 
About 1,200 miles and I'm averaging 39 mpg, but I've a very itchy throttle hand. I'm not happy unless I'm riding it like I stole it. If I were to drop into Grandma Mode for an entire tank, (a constitutional impossibility for me, I'm afraid), I am quite sure I could milk 45 to 50 mpg out of it.
 
I've got about 2,400 miles on mine now, been running 87 octane and yesterday I got 60 mpg on a 120 mile ride. Mostly back roads so my average speed was probably 55 or so. I think the windshield helps too.

166ca4bf70070009089eb238b1e3586d.jpg
 
sanoke_imp said:
I've got about 2,400 miles on mine now, been running 87 octane and yesterday I got 60 mpg on a 120 mile ride. Mostly back roads so my average speed was probably 55 or so. I think the windshield helps too.

166ca4bf70070009089eb238b1e3586d.jpg
your windshield is humongous, does it block all the wind and no noise?

BTW, I always use 91, it is noticeable increase in HP, the bike runs better.
 
There is a difference in USA gallons and Imperial ( "English" ) gallons ,therefore if a mpg is mentioned we have to know if it is the 3.85 litre gallon or the 4.5 litre one .
This mainly is in connection when we get mpg from members outside the USA.
 
Back
Top