Brand new 2013, anyone?

Thread starter
I'd like to think that I'm a smart man. I wouldn't just buy a motorcycle for my wife hoping she'll like it. Her favorite color is dark blue. I just show her pictures of Alprider's blue Super Cub, and say "Isn't this nice looking? Wouldn't you like one of these?" When she says yes, we'll figure it out.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'd like to think that I'm a smart man. I wouldn't just buy a motorcycle for my wife hoping she'll like it. Her favorite color is dark blue. I just show her pictures of Alprider's blue Super Cub, and say "Isn't this nice looking? Wouldn't you like one of these?" When she says yes, we'll figure it out.
" ... I would love that ride, dear ... after the new kitchen counter and island ... "
 
Gone , if you were REALLY smart you buy your wife the bike YOU want .
I have done that many times with music I wanted : Darling you will love this band , answer never heard of them !
 
Thread starter
Yeah, Houtman, already did that. That's why I have a Bonneville AND a CB.

And Gold, she's got an entire new kitchen... and bathrooms... and floors...

She's showing signs, but I'm not pushing. I don't want to be that guy selling something while she stands behind me, arms crossed, frowning.
 
Houtman, I do so enjoy your excellent marriage management advice. I follow it assiduously. You’ll no doubt delighted to learn that so far it’s earned me one broken pair of spectacles, numerous nasty abrasions and bruises on my shins, three black eyes and my very own bedroom. :s
 
Thread starter
I enjoy reading Houtman's marriage philosophy as well. I do not always follow his advice, however. Once I realized that my wife enjoys cooking, does laundry better than me, was smarter than me, had better financial management skills than me, and would let me have motorcycles and toys, I realized that my best course of action was to let us each enjoy our respective hobbies, and not force them on each other.

She may never decide to ride a motorcycle. I may never decide to fuss over a bunch of plants.

But you never know...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I enjoy reading Houtman's marriage philosophy as well. I do not always follow his advice, however. Once I realized that my wife enjoys cooking, does laundry better than me, was smarter than me, had better financial management skills than me, and would let me have motorcycles and toys, I realized that my best course of action was to let us each enjoy our respective hobbies, and not force them on each other.

She may never decide to ride a motorcycle. I may never decide to fuss over a bunch of plants.

But you never know...
Gin60 - sounds like the essence of a good man.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Gone , if you were REALLY smart you buy your wife the bike YOU want .
I have done that many times with music I wanted : Darling you will love this band , answer never heard of them !
Funny you say that. I wanted the CB when they came out and said if they ever come to the U.S....when I found out they did I snatched one up immediately under the guise of, "it's bigger than the Bonnie honey, you'll have more room on the back (actually not the case)". Score! She eventually got her license and rode the CB while I was on the Bonnie. When I kicked her butt out I asked if she wanted to buy the CB, nope. Well executed plan on all fronts on my part!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman, I do so enjoy your excellent marriage management advice. I follow it assiduously. You’ll no doubt delighted to learn that so far it’s earned me one broken pair of spectacles, numerous nasty abrasions and bruises on my shins, three black eyes and my very own bedroom. :s
I am very sorry to hear about you getting " feed back " from your wife .
As I said before I just give advice but do not follow my own advise.
All jokes apart we get on very well and my wife never questions my "investments " in my bikes and I never ask why do you need multiple pair of shoes when you only have two feet !
We both feel the same about spending money , earn it first and than you can use it as needed.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman, I do so enjoy your excellent marriage management advice. I follow it assiduously. You’ll no doubt delighted to learn that so far it’s earned me one broken pair of spectacles, numerous nasty abrasions and bruises on my shins, three black eyes and my very own bedroom. :s
I am very sorry to hear about you getting " feed back " from your wife .
As I said before I just give advice but do not follow my own advise.
All jokes apart we get on very well and my wife never questions my "investments " in my bikes and I never ask why do you need multiple pair of shoes when you only have two feet !
We both feel the same about spending money , earn it first and than you can use it as needed.

a concept lost on a lot of people these days
 
The ferret_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman, I do so enjoy your excellent marriage management advice. I follow it assiduously. You’ll no doubt delighted to learn that so far it’s earned me one broken pair of spectacles, numerous nasty abrasions and bruises on my shins, three black eyes and my very own bedroom. :s
I am very sorry to hear about you getting " feed back " from your wife .
As I said before I just give advice but do not follow my own advise.
All jokes apart we get on very well and my wife never questions my "investments " in my bikes and I never ask why do you need multiple pair of shoes when you only have two feet !
We both feel the same about spending money , earn it first and than you can use it as needed.

a concept lost on a lot of people these days

a concept lost on a lot of people these days
They just go to their GameStop "bank" and withdraw ten or twenty big ones (crazy times).
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman, I do so enjoy your excellent marriage management advice. I follow it assiduously. You’ll no doubt delighted to learn that so far it’s earned me one broken pair of spectacles, numerous nasty abrasions and bruises on my shins, three black eyes and my very own bedroom. :s
I am very sorry to hear about you getting " feed back " from your wife .
As I said before I just give advice but do not follow my own advise.
All jokes apart we get on very well and my wife never questions my "investments " in my bikes and I never ask why do you need multiple pair of shoes when you only have two feet !
We both feel the same about spending money , earn it first and than you can use it as needed.

a concept lost on a lot of people these days

a concept lost on a lot of people these days
They just go to their GameStop "bank" and withdraw ten or twenty big ones (crazy times).

a concept lost on a lot of people these days
They just go to their GameStop "bank" and withdraw ten or twenty big ones (crazy times).
LOL I just read a story about a guy whose wife wants him to sell his GamesSTOP and make a lot of money, but he is being encouraged to "hold onto it and stick it to the rich folks".

LOL one of these days someone is going to crack and sell their Gamestop and start a stampede that will cripple the little folks who have the least to lose.

Yep, crazy times
 
I agree with the above , we have been investors all our working life , NOT speculators .Index investing with Vanguard for since 1985 has served us VERY well.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman, I do so enjoy your excellent marriage management advice. I follow it assiduously. You’ll no doubt delighted to learn that so far it’s earned me one broken pair of spectacles, numerous nasty abrasions and bruises on my shins, three black eyes and my very own bedroom. :s
I am very sorry to hear about you getting " feed back " from your wife .
As I said before I just give advice but do not follow my own advise.
All jokes apart we get on very well and my wife never questions my "investments " in my bikes and I never ask why do you need multiple pair of shoes when you only have two feet !
We both feel the same about spending money , earn it first and than you can use it as needed.
3e09b61b908fcec11485a2f3d885d2d2.gif
+
69e505aa06c70427b12f29b9ad0dddfd.gif
= 2 feet
Houtman, you are the best!!
 
Houtman_imp said:
I agree with the above , we have been investors all our working life , NOT speculators .Index investing with Vanguard for since 1985 has served us VERY well.
Just imagine some non-working young male dude living in mother's basement riding an electric scooter swarming around big institutional retirement funds to bring down the boomers life savings?

Wouldn't that be a dawg's breakfast?
 
Thread starter
If he hurts my 401k I’ll bash him with his own scooter.

Speaking of which, there’s a new private party Super Cub on local Craig’s. Ad says he bought it for his wife but she’s not digging it.

Showed it to my wife and she’s showing interest. Actually been asking me questions about it. We’ll see where this goes...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
If he hurts my 401k I’ll bash him with his own scooter.

Speaking of which, there’s a new private party Super Cub on local Craig’s. Ad says he bought it for his wife but she’s not digging it.

Showed it to my wife and she’s showing interest. Actually been asking me questions about it. We’ll see where this goes...
Alright Gin60. :clap:

Definitely would like it underneath you.
 
Thread starter
Well... possible setback on the get-the-wife-to-ride front.

I mentioned in another post that yesterday morning, I was about to head to work on the CB when weather looked iffy, and the wife reminded me to take the cat to the vet.

I hastily pushed the CB into the garage behind my wife's car, wrestled the cat into his carrier, and headed to the vet in my car. Mid-day, the vet called to say he was ready, and my wife called me to say "Your motorcycle is blocking my car!"

Ever see the movie Apollo 13? The part where the guys in Mission Control are talking the astronauts through the process of building the thing that will save their lives? I had to talk my wife through lifting the CB off of the side stand, and rolling it about five feet so she could get her car out. "Oh my gosh, it's so heavy! I can't believe it! I'm so worried that I'll drop your baby!"

I explained to her that any bike we'd consider for her would be a lot lighter than the CB, but there is a crack in the dam...
 
Thread starter
I certainly hope so, Gold! Plus, the Cub is practically the size of a bicycle, and would be able to squeeze into the garage in front of my little car. I also suggested that the next time we visit her Mom, we go next door and have her sit on the neighbor's Rebel 250. Plenty of those around for cheap.
But, this is all still in the "what if" stage.
 
Back
Top