Brake Pads... Simplified

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Stock Part Numbers...

Front brake pads

06455-MGC-016 (New Part Number)
06455-MGC-006 (Old Part Number)

Rear brake pads

43105-MW0-425 (New Part Number)
Or 43105-MW0-405 (Old Part Number)

EBC part numbers...

Front
EBC Brakes Double-H Sintered Metal Brake Pads - FA296HH

Rear
EBC Brakes FA174V Semi Sintered Disc Brake Pad

There's also a PDF about pad compatibility published by EBC...

Ebc Catalog showing compatibility part numbers for different manufacturers.

https://www.ebc-brakes.de/downloads/EBC_Katalog_Motorrad.pdf
 
Thread starter
Quick reminder... There are two brake rotors on the front wheel of the CB1100, necessitating two sets of pads.

The rear wheel only has one rotor, so only one set of pads, but apparently this set of pads is prone ro premature wear compared to the two pairs of pads up front.

You may not need to replace the front pads...

In summary, to replace all the pads on the CB1100, you will want two pairs of pads for the front, and one pair for the rear.
 
Brembo Option (lovely feel at the lever and a little more stopping power). Not expensive either.

2017EX and on
Front 07H045SA (X2)
Rear 07H036SP

2017RS and on
Front 07H063SA (X2)
Rear 07H036SP (same as EX)
 
I just recently did sixity ceramic pads for front and back.

I was weary of the price point but I looked up reviews in lots of different forums and people seem very pleased with the brand.

Think it was $30 for all 3 pairs of pads front and back.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
m in sc_imp said:
i think those come from the same factory as the caltric brake parts, and I've had very good luck with them on other bikes, including my old concourses. I run a lot of caltric brake shoes on the drum stuff, and always work well. run a lot of their clutches as well.
Yes that's what I saw in my research also.

I wanted something with less brake dust and little gentler on the very expensive and hard to find front rotors. I dont plan on tracking this bike in the future so the ceramics seems fine for me.

Ironically for the price I also grabbed a set of sintered sixity pads for my bike to have on hand just incase I didn't like the ceramics.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
i think those come from the same factory as the caltric brake parts, and I've had very good luck with them on other bikes, including my old concourses. I run a lot of caltric brake shoes on the drum stuff, and always work well. run a lot of their clutches as well.
Yes that's what I saw in my research also.

I wanted something with less brake dust and little gentler on the very expensive and hard to find front rotors. I dont plan on tracking this bike in the future so the ceramics seems fine for me.

Ironically for the price I also grabbed a set of sintered sixity pads for my bike to have on hand just incase I didn't like the ceramics.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yes that's what I saw in my research also.

I wanted something with less brake dust and little gentler on the very expensive and hard to find front rotors. I dont plan on tracking this bike in the future so the ceramics seems fine for me.

Ironically for the price I also grabbed a set of sintered sixity pads for my bike to have on hand just incase I didn't like the ceramics.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca

I was curious about the Sixity and Caltric pads, but the tech at Honda said to "avoid low cost eBay brake pads" and then said that the EBC brand was a good alternative.

The EBC pads were still less than half the price of the Honda OEM pads, but I was tempted by that $32 Sixity set for both front and back.

It's good to know that the Caltric pads have given good results to people here on this forum. I will keep that in mind for the future.

I was looking for the Brembo pads too, but I think those are European only, as the prices on ebay including shipping to Texas make them more expensive than the Honda OEM pads.

I have to say, I was surprised that my bike needed new pads at barely 18k miles. In the past on other bikes, I usually got around 30k miles out of a set of pads.

Was I just lucky before or are these Honda pads unusually short-lived?
 
I bought all my pads from my Honda dealer, and most were OEM if not all, can’t remember.
Always had good mileage/long lasting.
Mostly longer rides, don’t commute and no passenger.
 
I use oem pads and I replaced mine at 19,102....36,909 and 53,020 and they are due again probably in another 1500 miles, I'm at 74,500 miles on the bike. I replaced them as sets.

The front pads on my NC went 23,405 and the tech advised the rears were still good, but are getting replaced on the 26th. They currently have 42,400 on them which I find astonishing. I'll replace both front and rear sets at that time.
 
Thread starter
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Stock Part Numbers...

Front brake pads

06455-MGC-016 (New Part Number)
06455-MGC-006 (Old Part Number)

Rear brake pads

43105-MW0-425 (New Part Number)
Or 43105-MW0-405 (Old Part Number)

EBC part numbers...

Front
EBC Brakes Double-H Sintered Metal Brake Pads - FA296HH

Rear
EBC Brakes FA174V Semi Sintered Disc Brake Pad

There's also a PDF about pad compatibility published by EBC...

Ebc Catalog showing compatibility part numbers for different manufacturers.

https://www.ebc-brakes.de/downloads/EBC_Katalog_Motorrad.pdf
I think I should have installed the FA174HH on the rear instead of the V spec semi-sintered. I had them installed yesterday, and the stopping power of the semi-sintered pads is so weak it's almost as if they're defective...

I know they're not defective, because if I stomp on the rear brake pedal they do slow down the bike, but they're significantly weaker than the OEM pads were, and it's almost a joke compared to the pair of HH fully sintered pads up front.

I'm going to give them a couple hundred miles to seat and/or wear in, and if the performance doesn't significantly improve, Ill be replacing them with a set of FA174HH.
 
Many have complained about the inadequacy of the rear brake.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
I had no complaints about the stock pads, except they are (literally) double the price of the ebc HH pads and IMHO, are in no way superior having run both. I'm not cheap by any means, but that's ridiculous.
Exactly. If Honda wasn't so greedy about their OEM parts, I wouldn't be looking at other manufacturers. Back in the 60's and 70's, and even during the 80's, Honda parts were affordable.

The EBC HH pads I put on the front have superior stopping power compared to the OEM pads they replaced. And the OEM front pads still had some life in them. I replaced the front pads with the rear because I wanted to do them all together.
Cormanus_imp said:
Many have complained about the inadequacy of the rear brake.
Mine was okay with the stock pads. I'm not sure if the FA174V semi-sintered pads are to blame, if it was a poor installation, or if I just need to give them a little time to seat.

I will call the Honda shop that did the work and let them know I might be swapping out the rear pads again for fully sintered HH spec.
 
Thread starter
The. EBC FA174V Semi-sintered pads are fine. They just needed some break in time.

I rode about 40 miles yesterday, taking care to get the rear pads hot, and then let them cool down multiple times.

They are comparable to the stock pads, but only cost $35, instead of the $87 that Honda wants. Supposedly they will last longer too.

Here's a brief description of "Bedding Brakes" for anyone interested...

Quote:HOW TO BED BRAKES
1. PICK YOUR SPOT
Find an open stretch of road that will allow you to safely stop your vehicle multiple times.

2. SPEED UP, THEN SLOW DOWN
Accelerate to 35 MPH and apply moderate brake pressure to reduce your speed to under 5 MPH.

3. REPEAT AS NECESSARY
Repeat this process 2-3 times, accelerating back to 35 MPH and moderately braking.

4. TEST AGAIN AT 55 MPH
Next, increase speed to 50 MPH and strongly brake down to 5 MPH. You don’t want to brake strong enough to activate your ABS or lock up the tires. You should be able to come down to 5 MPH within a few seconds.

5. REPEAT AS NECESSARY
Repeat this process 4-5 times, then drive an additional 1-2 miles while very lightly braking to cool down the brakes.

6. PRO TIP:
It’s important to avoid coming to a complete stop during the hard-braking stage as it’s possible to melt brake pads against hot rotors. Of course, should a deer, pedestrian, or Sasquatch run onto the road, feel free to mash the brake pedal. Safety first!
 
It's time to replace the brake pads on my 2014 (no ABS) Honda.

I am a bit confused by the EBC catalog. The official website says that the FA296HH pads will fit front left. Does that mean I need a different model # for the right rotor? or will FA296HH fit both rotors?

I apologize if this is a dumb question.
 
I think it's time more new pads at 25k miles. If I go with the EBC, what's the difference between the FA174V (rear) that Yata-Garasu lists below and the FA174HH reference later in this thread? Why not the HH for both front and rear?

Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Stock Part Numbers...

Front brake pads

06455-MGC-016 (New Part Number)
06455-MGC-006 (Old Part Number)

Rear brake pads

43105-MW0-425 (New Part Number)
Or 43105-MW0-405 (Old Part Number)

EBC part numbers...

Front
EBC Brakes Double-H Sintered Metal Brake Pads - FA296HH

Rear
EBC Brakes FA174V Semi Sintered Disc Brake Pad

There's also a PDF about pad compatibility published by EBC...

Ebc Catalog showing compatibility part numbers for different manufacturers.

https://www.ebc-brakes.de/downloads/EBC_Katalog_Motorrad.pdf
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
I think it's time more new pads at 25k miles. If I go with the EBC, what's the difference between the FA174V (rear) that Yata-Garasu lists below and the FA174HH reference later in this thread? Why not the HH for both front and rear?

Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Stock Part Numbers...

Front brake pads

06455-MGC-016 (New Part Number)
06455-MGC-006 (Old Part Number)

Rear brake pads

43105-MW0-425 (New Part Number)
Or 43105-MW0-405 (Old Part Number)

EBC part numbers...

Front
EBC Brakes Double-H Sintered Metal Brake Pads - FA296HH

Rear
EBC Brakes FA174V Semi Sintered Disc Brake Pad

There's also a PDF about pad compatibility published by EBC...

Ebc Catalog showing compatibility part numbers for different manufacturers.

https://www.ebc-brakes.de/downloads/EBC_Katalog_Motorrad.pdf

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. I don't check in that often, and the forum software doesn't seem to remind me when people have replied to my old posts.

I'm sure you've already figured this out, but for anyone "passing by", the V designation is for EBC's semi-sintered pads. The HH designation is for the fully sintered pads.

The reason I chose the semi-sintered pads for the rear is due to some stuff I read about the fully sintered pads potentially chewing through the brake rotors. This was a phenomenon discovered by Goldwing riders, and the Goldwing is a much heavier bike than the CB1100. Since rotors for the CB1100 are expensive with not many options other than OEM, I went with the less aggressive pad for the single rotor in the back

The semi-sintered pads did take a while to "bed" properly and provide a decent amount of stopping power, but nearly a year later, I'm completely satisfied with the semi-sintered pads on the back, and I haven't noticed any abnormal wear on the rotors, front or back.

With the lower weight of the CB1100 compared to the Goldwing, you could probably use fully sintered pads both front and rear with no issues. I'm pretty sure that several forum members here are using fully sintered pads both front and back with no issues reported.
 
Back
Top