Bosozoku!

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday my wife and I went to Born Free, a huge biker gathering in Santiago Canyon near our home. Thousands of mostly Harleys, it’s a scene, a happening and a full sensory immersion in motorcycles.

Rather than ride, we hike the canyon road to the event, so we can watch the bikes coming and going along the way. In large part, one chopper or bagger after another.

But, on the way home I heard a swarm of bikes that didn’t come from Milwaukee. A group of Bosozoku style bikes rode past us before I could grab any photos. If you don’t know what this style of bike is, I highly suggest Googling and taking a look at this very unique culture. Many Honda based bikes.

At the show, I saw a shirt I had to buy. It says “Hello Engine.” This is what Steve McQueen says in the Sand Pebbles when he sees the ship’s steam engine for the first time. And, bonus L.A. area road trip, that movie prop engine can be seen onboard the S.S. Lane Victory in Long Beach.
 
Thread starter
I was bummed that I didn't see these bikes at the actual show I hiked to. But, there was a sea of a thousand bikes there, and there was no way to see all of them. It was probably cooler to hear and see them go by on the highway on our hike back home.
 
Does that bottom bike have a speaker for the exhaust?

Lord I hope Harley riders don't discover that
 
The ferret_imp said:
Does that bottom bike have a speaker for the exhaust?

Lord I hope Harley riders don't discover that
I thought the same thing! :rofl:

The ferret_imp said:
Does that bottom bike have a speaker for the exhaust?

Lord I hope Harley riders don't discover that
:thanks:


This subculture isn't really about motorcycles. Anthropologically it's about social rebellion where motorcycles happen to be the means of expression. They could just as easily ride around on outrageously painted, battery-powered upright vacuum cleaners and achieve the same result.
 
Stich, you have such a deep understanding of the mind, you never disappoint me.
( going to find out what Anthropologically means).:rofl:
Great stuff!
 
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
 
Stichill_imp said:
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
Interesting observation, Stichill. I'm assuming you actually find any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior objectionable and are limiting it purely for the purposes of this forum and conversation.

It makes me wonder why the wider community is so willing quickly to lump all motorcyclists in the obnoxious category when it seems to me highly unlikely they'd do the same thing, say, to all car drivers because of the behaviour of an obnoxious sub-class of car driver.

There must be something about motorcycles.
 
(+1) Stichill, especially the roll coal issue. I often watch pick-ups try on highways, but they appear to "mis-fire" (thankfully). Still, the intention is hideous.
 
Stichill_imp said:
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
Yes!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
Interesting observation, Stichill. I'm assuming you actually find any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior objectionable and are limiting it purely for the purposes of this forum and conversation.

It makes me wonder why the wider community is so willing quickly to lump all motorcyclists in the obnoxious category when it seems to me highly unlikely they'd do the same thing, say, to all car drivers because of the behaviour of an obnoxious sub-class of car driver.

There must be something about motorcycles.
Pretty much. I have a neighbor in my rural area who thinks it’s OK to fire his semi-automatic rifle at night, simply because the rifle is legal and shooting (including at night) is not illegal in this locale. I told him I’m fine with his shooting but not at night, because people (not me) are complaining. He says he’s a right to do it. My argument is that the government will remove the right to shoot at night (it’s allowed for vermin control), not just for him but for all of us, if there’s enough political pressure to do so. Pressure brought on because of inconsiderate behavior by guys like him. Nobody will complain about a couple shots at a varmint. Emptying magazines for an hour is way over the line.

Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
Interesting observation, Stichill. I'm assuming you actually find any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior objectionable and are limiting it purely for the purposes of this forum and conversation.

It makes me wonder why the wider community is so willing quickly to lump all motorcyclists in the obnoxious category when it seems to me highly unlikely they'd do the same thing, say, to all car drivers because of the behaviour of an obnoxious sub-class of car driver.

There must be something about motorcycles.
A guy at work said to me, “You guys on motorcycles, weaving around traffic and cutting people off, blasting past on your loud crotch rockets.”

I said, “You guys in cars, with your giant spoilers, loud f*rt-can exhausts, glowing purple headlights, and blasting bass stereos.”

He stood there blinking at me. :D
 
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
Interesting observation, Stichill. I'm assuming you actually find any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior objectionable and are limiting it purely for the purposes of this forum and conversation.

It makes me wonder why the wider community is so willing quickly to lump all motorcyclists in the obnoxious category when it seems to me highly unlikely they'd do the same thing, say, to all car drivers because of the behaviour of an obnoxious sub-class of car driver.

There must be something about motorcycles.
Pretty much. I have a neighbor in my rural area who thinks it’s OK to fire his semi-automatic rifle at night, simply because the rifle is legal and shooting (including at night) is not illegal in this locale. I told him I’m fine with his shooting but not at night, because people (not me) are complaining. He says he’s a right to do it. My argument is that the government will remove the right to shoot at night (it’s allowed for vermin control), not just for him but for all of us, if there’s enough political pressure to do so. Pressure brought on because of inconsiderate behavior by guys like him. Nobody will complain about a couple shots at a varmint. Emptying magazines for an hour is way over the line.

Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
:thumbsup: max! :P

I guess I'm not a fan of people using motorcycles in a non-serious way, e.g. obnoxiously loud pipes, stunting on the highway, street racing, swarming/flash mobbing, ape hangers, motorcycle gangs, stretched-swingarm / pimped-out 'busas, and these goofy Bosozoku. These are social phenomena that are less about the motorcycles than they are about sticking a finger in the eye of their fellow citizens. Same thing as the stupid boom-boom cars that were popular a few years back, or these diesel pickups that "roll coal" on Toyota Priuses.

I think any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior that involves motorcycles diminishes our sport/hobby and by association us as riders in the eyes of the larger society.
Interesting observation, Stichill. I'm assuming you actually find any "look-at-me-I'm-being-obnoxious" behavior objectionable and are limiting it purely for the purposes of this forum and conversation.

It makes me wonder why the wider community is so willing quickly to lump all motorcyclists in the obnoxious category when it seems to me highly unlikely they'd do the same thing, say, to all car drivers because of the behaviour of an obnoxious sub-class of car driver.

There must be something about motorcycles.
A guy at work said to me, “You guys on motorcycles, weaving around traffic and cutting people off, blasting past on your loud crotch rockets.”

I said, “You guys in cars, with your giant spoilers, loud f*rt-can exhausts, glowing purple headlights, and blasting bass stereos.”

He stood there blinking at me. :D
(*sigh*) Just because one has the right doesn't mean they have to. Narcissist.
 
lol...Kentucky. When someone from KY finds an unspent bullet in a drawer, they just have to run out and shoot it.
 
Thread starter
There’s a hilarious Southpark episode about loud, obnoxious bikers.

Did I go to Cooks Corners? No, I was hiking in from the other end of the canyon. Used to pass it on my way home from my old job though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
lol...Kentucky. When someone from KY finds an unspent bullet in a drawer, they just have to run out and shoot it.
...across the river at condescending Buckeyes. ;) :rofl:
 
Back
Top