Bonneville T120 first test - MCN

Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Happy now?

Nemo don't know why you're laughing, the last thread title I corrected for spelling was yours, and you yelled at me for it and made me change it back.
:rofl: I love this board!
:rofl: I love this board!
Seriously. There is no better bunch of motorbike enthusiasts and characters than right here on the CBL1100 Forum.
 
Capo_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Happy now?

Nemo don't know why you're laughing, the last thread title I corrected for spelling was yours, and you yelled at me for it and made me change it back.
:rofl: I love this board!
:rofl: I love this board!
Seriously. There is no better bunch of motorbike enthusiasts and characters than right here on the CBL1100 Forum.
:rofl: I love this board!
Seriously. There is no better bunch of motorbike enthusiasts and characters than right here on the CBL1100 Forum.
:rofl: Capo, I see what you did there! :excited:
 
Yea..funny Capo, real funny. Now in 20 posts, someone will yell at me to fix it.
 
I'm looking at the new T120. By all accounts the acceleration is better than the old Bonnies. (I'm a little too young to remember them.) If the engine runs a little smoother than the old ones then that is a good thing, IMO. I've heard the sound on youtube and it is great!

BTW, the old CB750 wouldn't out perform the CB1100 from everything I've read. In fact, the old CB750 supposedly had pretty leaden steering and handling.
 
postoak_imp said:
I'm looking at the new T120. By all accounts the acceleration is better than the old Bonnies. (I'm a little too young to remember them.) If the engine runs a little smoother than the old ones then that is a good thing, IMO. I've heard the sound on youtube and it is great!

BTW, the old CB750 wouldn't out perform the CB1100 from everything I've read. In fact, the old CB750 supposedly had pretty leaden steering and handling.
Not at all, the C750 will be slightly faster due to the 1100's speed limiter.:P

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
I'm looking at the new T120. By all accounts the acceleration is better than the old Bonnies. (I'm a little too young to remember them.) If the engine runs a little smoother than the old ones then that is a good thing, IMO. I've heard the sound on youtube and it is great!

BTW, the old CB750 wouldn't out perform the CB1100 from everything I've read. In fact, the old CB750 supposedly had pretty leaden steering and handling.
Not at all, the C750 will be slightly faster due to the 1100's speed limiter.:P

Wisedrum
Not at all, the C750 will be slightly faster due to the 1100's speed limiter.:P

Wisedrum
Yeah they say the early CB750s were the fastest and could hit 125. I'm skeptical because they had 67 horsepower and the 750 Nighthawk supposedly had 75 horsepower and was considerably lighter, too but mine topped out at 110 or so (making the CB1100 just a hair faster and definitely quicker).
 
I test rode a T120 today. My first impression was the engine sounded like a 2-cycle and the bike shook unpleasantly -- but then I ride a six cylinder Honda 1800c. Those who are upset because Triumph changed the piston angle needn't be concerned that this engine is too smooth!

I was impressed with the bike overall, although the brakes are weak. The acceleration is, perhaps, better than the CB1100 but much more importantly, the bike begins to really come alive as you move up the rpm range. Since it was an escorted ride, I never had a chance to red-line it but I think the result would have been satisfying. The gear indicator was a welcome addition -- especially on a bike that I'm not used to.

I also sat on a Thruxton. This is a bike I've always ruled out because of the low handlebars, but for me the riding position was actually pretty upright. I'm going to have to do some research on it.
 
I can't edit my post above so I'll just add this. One thing I forgot to mention is that the T120 is a very comfortable bike for someone my size -- 6'1", 190 pounds, 31" inseam (34" pants). I'm not cramped up on it at all like I was on the CB1100 a bit. But after sleeping on it, my impression is that I would never be satisfied with an engine that rough and primitive sounding (I know they did this on purpose, but it isn't something I like.) I guess I favor inline fours. Who knows, another CB1100 may be in my future?
 
My brothers New T-120 has that designed in " character throb" as I call it. I don't like it at all. My brother finds it endearing. He doesn't care for my smooth I-4. He finds it boring. I'm glad we have options.
 
postoak_imp said:
I test rode a T120 today. My first impression was the engine sounded like a 2-cycle and the bike shook unpleasantly -- but then I ride a six cylinder Honda 1800c. Those who are upset because Triumph changed the piston angle needn't be concerned that this engine is too smooth!

I was impressed with the bike overall, although the brakes are weak. The acceleration is, perhaps, better than the CB1100 but much more importantly, the bike begins to really come alive as you move up the rpm range. Since it was an escorted ride, I never had a chance to red-line it but I think the result would have been satisfying. The gear indicator was a welcome addition -- especially on a bike that I'm not used to.

I also sat on a Thruxton. This is a bike I've always ruled out because of the low handlebars, but for me the riding position was actually pretty upright. I'm going to have to do some research on it.
It makes me wonder, the CB has more horsepower.
I often read 4 or slightly more seconds for the acceleration from 0 - 100km/h. Mostly the time for the EX. I once read a value of 3,9sec for the 5speed model, which I drive.

However, don't think the T120 accelerates that fast.
But I never took the time, it doesn't matter much to me as being a smooth accelerator.

Wisedrum
 
Found some values and post them for comparison and to get things right.

Triumph T 120 2017 model

pulling power 50-120km/h (in 6th gear) : 7,6s
acceleration: 0- 100km/h : 4,7s
from 'Motorradfahrer' July 2017


Honda CB 1100 2013 model

pulling power 50- 120km/h (in 5th gear) : 8,5s
acceleration 0- 100km/ : 4,0s
from 'TOURENFAHRER' November 2013

Triumphs 6th gear revs 6.550 U/min at 245km/h
Hondas 5th gear revs 7.500 U/min at 225km/h

Triumphs max. torque: 101,5 Nm at 3.500 U/min and 73,8HP at 5.600 U/min tested
Hondas max. torque: 93,2 at 4.500 U/min and 90 HP at 7.500 U/min tested

All this explains a lot.

But the first CBs accelerate better than the T120.:P
At least on paper.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top