BMW R1100RT

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
There must be some Bmr riders out there. I have a 2000 R1100RT, with a 100k miles, and it still runs great! If this freakin' COVID ever abates, I'd like to take a few longer rides on it. Northern San Diego county has some great roads, and then there's Julian, where you can get your fill of pie. I and some buds sometimes stay in the Julian Lodge and day-ride over a four-day weekend, splitting room costs 4 ways (they have one really big room they put a cot and a twin in with the two queens already there and we draw straws for the bed. The only bummer is there is no pool)
 
There are lots of BMW riders out there.

I spent 15 years in San Diego and know many of the roads you speak of. If you stay in Julian, don’t miss Mesa Grande and Japatul Valley Road — both great fun.

But rather than stay in Julian, consider a night or two at La Casa del Zorro in Borrego Springs. It’s a very nice resort, with very reasonable rates in the summer, with a great restaurant and a wonderful pool. There’s some great riding in the area, including Montezuma Grade and County Road S2. And you’ll only be about 25 minutes from your apple pie in Julian via Banner Grade.
 
LR knows his stuff.

I've tried to buy opposed twin BMWs 3 or 4 times. Love looking at them, dont care for riding them. I did rent a R1200R in Europe I liked pretty much, except for the gearing, which of course you can't change. Oh and I've ridden the Austrian parallel twin BMW which I thought was pretty nice. It doesn't help that the closest BMW dealer to me is 120 miles away, so I never even see them.
 
My riding buddy has a R1100R, we swap now and then, nice comfy bike to ride, a bit too 'comfy' for me. Im not really sure what it is but it just feels too smooth and polished, effortless riding....
 
Thread starter
Rode the Bmr on a lunchtime mission to score tacos and a burrito at the fave beachside taco stand. Bike runs great, was a lot of fun. Since it is Wed, there'll be a swim, large cocktail and a stogie going on later. Beautiful SoCal day, warm and sunny, not too hot. Working on some pics.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
ChB, would not hurt if you throw in a few pics of it..:)
CB is still working on the stogie.
CB is still working on the stogie.
You got that right! I like those big, all day ones! Watch it, now!
CB is still working on the stogie.
You got that right! I like those big, all day ones! Watch it, now!
:rofl:
 
Charlie, I know I've asked before, but where are you going for tacos?

Since my Mom lives near Escondido, right off of the 78, which is one of the roads that heads toward Inland San Diego and all of the destinations you guys are talking about, I'd love to get a third bike and keep it there. She's got a little golf cart garage built on the side of the house, perfect for storing a couple of bikes.

Never had the same luck with BMWs that you guys are talking about. Spent enough time and money chasing little gremlins to make me stick to the dumber, simpler brands from now on.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Charlie, I know I've asked before, but where are you going for tacos?

Since my Mom lives near Escondido, right off of the 78, which is one of the roads that heads toward Inland San Diego and all of the destinations you guys are talking about, I'd love to get a third bike and keep it there. She's got a little golf cart garage built on the side of the house, perfect for storing a couple of bikes.

Never had the same luck with BMWs that you guys are talking about. Spent enough time and money chasing little gremlins to make me stick to the dumber, simpler brands from now on.
My fave taco shack is Sancho's Tacos, at PCH and 6th, in HB. There's an acai place there, too, 602, which is the address. It's near the pier, which is a nice walk on a typical SoCal day. There's a Ruby's at the end of the pier.
 
Thread starter
Forum devotees have been after me to post some pics. Here's a taste.
First up, my fave taco shack at the beach, Sancho's Tacos in HB. Best asada tacos in the world!

The sign for Ruby's at the end of the pier

Newport Bay

Stogie in my backyard
Ruby's sign and Newport Bay
Rub's Sign for their place at the end of the pier
 
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try Sancho's. Do you know that lady who is looking with some interest in your Ruby's sign photo?

I took my wife to that Ruby's on one of our earliest dates!
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Here's a pic of my Bmr at Sancho's
Honda Racing jacket used while riding the BMW....very sure your Motorrad won't be too happy :)
Nice bike :thumbsup:
 
Yeah, Charlie, doesn't that create some sort of vortex or ripple in the time-space continuum?
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah, Charlie, doesn't that create some sort of vortex or ripple in the time-space continuum?
Peter and GIS I knew somebody would spot that. I have two BMW Motorrad stickers on my helmet, one on each side, and when I ride the Honda people have pointed out my infidelity. I used to ride my Kawi with the Honda jacket, too. That Honda jacket is the best warm-weather jacket I've ever had! Sometimes late at night I can hear the Honda and the Bmr whispering, arguing or plotting something, I'm sure. I can't show any favoritism.
 
Thread starter
On Veteran's Day I rode the Bmr up to Rose Hills Cemetery and visited my friends grave, and shared a beer with him. 1st Lt. Robert Hutchinson was killed in Nam in 1968, and I miss him still. His story, and it's influence on me when I was drafted later that year, kept me from humping an M16 thru the jungle.
 
Back
Top