BMW R NineT Racer S - Test Ride

Thread starter
I took the R NineT Racer S for a test ride the other day and I've got to say, what a lovely bike. Suited me really well.

It's a lovely looking machine, un-cluttered and a great stance. Very neat.

Lots of people have complained of the riding position but for me at 6'2" it was just fine. More on the wrists than a sit up bike but, not over the top for it's style. I had a good hour and a half with no issues.

It has a lovely engine - characterful, clattery, lumpy and smooth all in one... something of an enigma.

I liked the way it handled too. Not as quick to turn as my CB is now, but held a tight line well. The way the engine and handling complement each other makes for a very satisfying combination. It's like they are both on the same wave length, and so it works.

Plenty fast, both acceleration and cruising on the motorway. It was very happy banging away at high speed.

I have to say I loved it. It's the first of the air cooled boxers that I've tried and I really liked it. It has an un-sanitised feel, which I like. I felt very connected to it.

I'm desperately trying to justify having one, although I couldn't stretch to it at the moment. I was looking to buy a super sport 600 from the mid 00's, which are great value at the moment. They are a different beast really and I was thinking of mainly using it on the track. That move is on hold.... which says something ;-)
 
A very good-looking bike; if it handles well, and fits, I'd consider one. Would not fit me, though.

The Street Cup works for me. Half the power, but handles well.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Have you tried a Thruxton R?
I did, about a year ago. Lots of fun but a bit small for me. Handles great. The bike I tried was set up quite firm, but all adjustable I think. It had a great engine, But... I preferred the 900 street twin I tested at the same time. Still too small, but on the little backroads I tested it on, it was great. Pulled really well and reminded me of an old brit Parallel Twin with a 360 firing order. Felt great.

My mate, who went with me to test the bikes, has just got round to buying a T120. Suits him fine, and he loves it, although he is a Hobbit....
 
I had the chance to test ride both , the R NineT Racer and the thruxton 1200. They're both great machines, the Beemer has a strong engine and it felt like a more sophisticated machine. But I personally liked the thruxton better, it just felt more nimble in the canyons. My 2 cents.
 
Thread starter
CBhooligan_imp said:
I had the chance to test ride both , the R NineT Racer and the thruxton 1200. They're both great machines, the Beemer has a strong engine and it felt like a more sophisticated machine. But I personally liked the thruxton better, it just felt more nimble in the canyons. My 2 cents.
Yep, the Thruxton R turned a lot quicker. very nimble and felt light. No complaints, loved it. Just a bit small and I really liked the feel of the R nineT Racer... I didn't want to get off it, just suited me. Had a nice flow to it...
Hey, horses for courses.
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Have you tried a Thruxton R?
I did, about a year ago. Lots of fun but a bit small for me. Handles great. The bike I tried was set up quite firm, but all adjustable I think. It had a great engine, But... I preferred the 900 street twin I tested at the same time. Still too small, but on the little backroads I tested it on, it was great. Pulled really well and reminded me of an old brit Parallel Twin with a 360 firing order. Felt great.

My mate, who went with me to test the bikes, has just got round to buying a T120. Suits him fine, and he loves it, although he is a Hobbit....
I did, about a year ago. Lots of fun but a bit small for me. Handles great. The bike I tried was set up quite firm, but all adjustable I think. It had a great engine, But... I preferred the 900 street twin I tested at the same time. Still too small, but on the little backroads I tested it on, it was great. Pulled really well and reminded me of an old brit Parallel Twin with a 360 firing order. Felt great.

My mate, who went with me to test the bikes, has just got round to buying a T120. Suits him fine, and he loves it, although he is a Hobbit.... The street twin has a 270 firing order which blows it for me. I love the 360 and thats the way a Triumph twin should be.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Have you tried a Thruxton R?
I did, about a year ago. Lots of fun but a bit small for me. Handles great. The bike I tried was set up quite firm, but all adjustable I think. It had a great engine, But... I preferred the 900 street twin I tested at the same time. Still too small, but on the little backroads I tested it on, it was great. Pulled really well and reminded me of an old brit Parallel Twin with a 360 firing order. Felt great.

My mate, who went with me to test the bikes, has just got round to buying a T120. Suits him fine, and he loves it, although he is a Hobbit....
I did, about a year ago. Lots of fun but a bit small for me. Handles great. The bike I tried was set up quite firm, but all adjustable I think. It had a great engine, But... I preferred the 900 street twin I tested at the same time. Still too small, but on the little backroads I tested it on, it was great. Pulled really well and reminded me of an old brit Parallel Twin with a 360 firing order. Felt great.

My mate, who went with me to test the bikes, has just got round to buying a T120. Suits him fine, and he loves it, although he is a Hobbit.... The street twin has a 270 firing order which blows it for me. I love the 360 and thats the way a Triumph twin should be.
Amen

I loved my 2012 Bonneville, but did not appreciate the post 2013 changes.
Good build quality, but I still have not accepted the addition of a radiator.
 
Been flirting with the idea of a R Nine T Pure or Urban GS, but know nothing about BMW bikes, nothing at all. Seem to be of lesser intrinsic quality than the Honda, but that's just from reading.
 
BMWS are generally love em or dont love em bikes. Generally expensive both in purchase price and in servicing ( but what doesn't cost a lot when serviced at the dealer). Dealer network is one of the better European brands but they aren't as numerous as Japanese brands. Used to be they were rather staid and boring but great, reliable long distance machines, but in the last dozen years or so they have started producing more sporting type bikes, pure sport bikes, and a 6 cyl tourer and bagger and a 4 cyl adv bike even. The boxer twins have been around a long time in air cooled versions and BMW has recently started partial water cooling them for emissions and to increase performance. The boxers have a rather flat droning exhaust note. In my experience the BMWs like most Euro bikes prefer to be revved over lugged, and really prefer to be over 4000 rpms. 5 th and 6 th on the one I rented in Europe were basically useless unless on the autobahn. I think they make lovely bikes, but I just can't abide riding them. It's a personal thing.
 
Thanks for that Ferret. A test ride is in order, but the one local dealer would not let me ride without a "credit app" filled out. Say what?

I've noted your comments re: the Euro twin bikes do not like to be below 4000rpm. I've paid attention on my Moto Guzzi V7II and Triumph Scrambler, and I have to disagree. They are perfectly happy at 3000rpm or above, and cruise along just fine. Not as smooth as the CB, mind you, but no problem at all. Below 3000rpm I agree, that is where the CB rules. But I do agree with you that 4-5K is where the sweet spot is on the other bikes.
 
Back
Top