Yep. Great link, WD.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
whizzle_dizzler_imp said:Speaking of movies, Django, it's funny you're posting in this thread... after all, you're... ahem, Unchained
Aside from the minor HP loss, there is also added sprung weight, expense and complexity.Hovmod_imp said:Uh...
Don't interpret this to imply that I don't appreciate a good pun, I am a dad, after all, but can we talk more about these maintenance free chains? Do we trust them? I know about all the pros of chains vs shaft drives, but darn, that detail was always one of my favorite things about my BMW back in the day. I would happily sacrifice a couple HP for the bliss of never having to (over-)lube my chain.
Are we laughing at it, or are we ordering them?
I've seen that too, during my 17 years in the motorcycle industry.pekingduck_imp said:I would expect any Japanese shaft/final drive to work properly, with little or no problem for at least 100k miles, and I have no qualms about them.
But 5% of BMWs, 1 in 20, is a pretty high percentage, even assuming a higher mileage accumulation. Certainly not what would be car-like reliability.
Back in my dealership days, I'd see rear sprocket teeth worn, folded over so the tips were almost touching, with red iron oxide powder caked and dusted under the countershaft sprocket cover. On street bikes, ridden in, the clueless owner usually complaining the clutch has been slipping.
On one, the front sprocket was spinning after it had hammered and eroded the splines on the countershaft itself. We arc-weld the sprocket to the shaft. My point is that chains can take a lot of abuse/neglect and the failure is not sudden or completely debilitating.