BMW G310R, on the short list for '17

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I think I'll be getting one of these next year. 34 HP, 349 lbs wet. Inverted 41mm forks, good brakes with ABS, and I am pretty sure plenty of mods will be available. If not, Racetech can revalve the shock and do me up real well if the forks are too flaccid.

110 front and 150 rear, in 17" sizes, meaning lots of good rubber choices.

This thing should handle like a dream.

Power/weight, my Honda Hawk GT647 (long gone) made less than 40 HP at the rear wheel and weighed 414 lbs wet. Hard to contemplate that is what my 2012 GSX-R 750 weighs, with 127 HP at the rear wheel.

The G310R should be around in a few weeks, I'm lining up to get one, unless I see the quality is poor. BMW claim it's a first-rate bike. Anyone see one of these at the show?
[attachment=5595]
 
Should be a fun little bike, amazing how nimble a light bike feels on tight roads.
Looking forwards to seeing one also.
 
Looks like the 300 class is getting entertaining. EX GF had a Ninja 250 and it was a hoot to ride even for a fat old guy like me.
 
Kawasaki is also bringing out a 300 adv bike based on 300 Ninja motor
 
Funny thing is how many of us started on bikes like the 305's? Now the 300's are back. For around town or back roads they make enough power to be fun and they are so light and nimble.
 
Thread starter
You know it really has been too long since I've had a fun bike that handles and I never was interested in the recent 300-class from Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha, or even the KTM 390s. This G310 series is made in India, but I understand the plant is very modern and the bike is said to be very well-made.

It is interesting how they've rotated the cylinder back to get the weight distribution how they wanted it. All the chassis geometry looks really good, 54" wheelbase, good rake/trail values, 110/70-17 on a 3" wheel up front, 150/70-17 on a 4" wheel astern. Those are very good numbers, very similar to the really great handling bikes of the 1980s.
 
I had a CBR250r and I still regret that I didn't hang onto it. However, any of the 300cc bikes I've seen come out in recent years look pretty fun. If I had one, I bet I could get my son back into riding again...maybe next summer.
 
Is this bike or engine based on any other existing platform (one that's proven)?
I had awfully bad luck buying a first-year run of the BMW F800ST. Lots of major bugs and minor annoyances....I'm not sure I'd ever do it again!
 
Backwards cylinder has been used in Motocross for several years now. Supposedly keeps mass more centralized.

Actually been in ise since geez may e the 30's but not real popular.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Backwards cylinder has been used in Motocross for several years now. Supposedly keeps mass more centralized.

Actually been in ise since geez may e the 30's but not real popular.
Just to be clear, the engine is a brand-new design which has the feature of being twisted 180 degrees. Not saying BMW is the first to ever do this by any means. But first in a long, long time for a new street bike, I think.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Is this bike or engine based on any other existing platform (one that's proven)?
I had awfully bad luck buying a first-year run of the BMW F800ST. Lots of major bugs and minor annoyances....I'm not sure I'd ever do it again!
Sorry for the quick hijack, but your experience is disappointing and I'm hoping unusual. I owned two '07 F800ST's and currently have a '13 F800GT. They are tremendous motorcycles in my opinion. Absolutely zero issues or complaints.

Back to the G310R...
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
Is this bike or engine based on any other existing platform (one that's proven)?
I had awfully bad luck buying a first-year run of the BMW F800ST. Lots of major bugs and minor annoyances....I'm not sure I'd ever do it again!
Sorry for the quick hijack, but your experience is disappointing and I'm hoping unusual. I owned two '07 F800ST's and currently have a '13 F800GT. They are tremendous motorcycles in my opinion. Absolutely zero issues or complaints.

Back to the G310R...
Sorry for the quick hijack, but your experience is disappointing and I'm hoping unusual. I owned two '07 F800ST's and currently have a '13 F800GT. They are tremendous motorcycles in my opinion. Absolutely zero issues or complaints.

Back to the G310R... Minor stuff. No further issues. My 800GS is fun, fun, fun.

But looking at the G310R, those huge forged triples and 41mm inverted forks look incredible. The 300-class bikes handle extremely well, this thing has far better suspension than any of the Japanese 300's. I'll bet the handling is crazy good, like a Moto3 Naked.
 
Back
Top