My youngest son is home from Cali so we're going for a ride tomorrow. Since he doesn't own a motorbike anymore today I rented the subject beemer. Rode it from the rental place and it just simply does not compare with the smoothness of my CB.
As for the F800, that's the last bike I'll buy with a 360-degree twin.
If you can imagine a skeleton dancing around inside a tin can, you'll get an idea of how that motor felt and sounded. It's a Rotax engine (not BMW), but it's not a bike I have very fond memories of.
Your observation is noted, but these two bikes are not even close to being in the same league.
That said, I rode one for three weeks in the deserts and mountains of South America, and again for 10 days in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia and Alberta, and loved the little bike.
When I got home after the South American tour I toyed with buying one, but thought better of it since I already had more bikes that I really needed - until the CB1100 came along .
My South American travelling companion did buy one though and loves it for what it is - but not better than his Yamaha FZ(?) whatever it's called