Bluetooth Helmet Communication

Hedge_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So as many of you know, my wife, who has logged on several thousand miles on the back of my bike is now going to begin her journey as a rider on her CB300F.
I figured 2 things -
[li]Let her lead so that I can watch her and she can drive at her own comfort level[/li] [li]Get some kind of Bluetooth Communication device so we can talk with each other
[/li]
I'm not sure if there is a Bluetooth helmet communication thread already posted, if so, I'm sorry about this. If not, this might be a great thread for all riders looking to communicate with other riders.

So I started to research various devices and the first thing I had to focus on is that my wife and I both wear full-face Aries so we would not need the boom mic. I first thought I was going to buy the uclear Force HBC 200 but after further investigating I decided that it was between the Scala rider PackTalk Duo and the Sena SMH10R Duo. I read as much as I could find on both but in the end it was the YouTube Video reviews that made me decide on the Sena SMH10R. It is very low profile with nice noise canceling and clean clear audio. The wiring tucks in nicely behind the pads of the inner helmet and it just seems well thought out. I started to price them and then went to our trusty eBay portal and found a guy who was selling 2 sets of the Duos for $255 with Free S&H. I immediately went to the fine print to see the "Refurbished" notification but when I scrolled down to there it stated in Bold -
"NEW SENA SMH10R . DUAL PACK
YOU GET FULL 2 SETS OF HEADSET WITH ACCESSORIES.
UNIVERSAL HEADSET - WILL FIT FULL FACE OR OPEN FACE HELMET
IN ORIGINAL RETAIL PACKAGING
No this is not a refurbished unit. 100% NEW."
So with that and this guys YouTube review amongst many I pulled the trigger and bought 1 of the 2 sets.

If you currently have a communication device that you use and like or don't like - please chime in so we can start getting all that are interested headed in the right direction! :thumbsup:

PS - if I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize and simply move it to wherever it makes sense.
Another good YouTube review -
 
We are using the Chatterbox XBi2hplus installed on HJC-IS-BT helmets when riding double. This helmet has a special recess on the side for the control unit. They work pretty well. Groups of other riders can be linked in. As with any of them, they require battery charging and above all reading the directions. They are also linked to your phone if you like which is handy. Not that I ever answer the phone, but at least I know someone has sent me a text or called and I can stop whenever to answer them.
 
I have the older Scala 4 units. We used to sell them when they first came out when we a had a retail store. The feed back was good then.
But we have had just so-so results our selves. Once we get them to key up they work great. The blue tooth phone works great ,my wife
often calls me when I am riding. I sometimes pull over to talk because it can be hard to talk and ride in heavy traffic. Most people
can't believe I am riding!
( I am of a age I won't know how to text or send one if you paid me):P
 
My wife and I use the Scala Q2 units for the last 6 or 7 years and my brother uses a set when I ride with him. They are pretty good, but there might be better. How would you know? You can't try them anywhere I know of.

BTW I ride in front of my wife when she rides so I can warn her about stuff.. "watch this guy doesn't pull out"," dead animal here, ""pot hole right tire track,"" gravel on inside of turn" " this is a 25 mph zone" etc. She mainly uses hers for "did you see the landscaping back there? Did you see the front door on that house?" "Can we pull over someplace so I can use the bathroom?"

There is a new one on the market with no boom mike, but the ear pieces are pretty big. Can't remember the name of them. Uses aircraft pilot technology I am told.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife and I use the Scala Q2 units for the last 6 or 7 years and my brother uses a set when I ride with him. They are pretty good, but there might be better. How would you know? You can't try them anywhere I know of.

BTW I ride in front of my wife when she rides so I can warn her about stuff.. "watch this guy doesn't pull out"," dead animal here, ""pot hole right tire track,"" gravel on inside of turn" " this is a 25 mph zone" etc. She mainly uses hers for "did you see the landscaping back there? Did you see the front door on that house?" "Can we pull over someplace so I can use the bathroom?"

There is a new one on the market with no boom mike, but the ear pieces are pretty big. Can't remember the name of them. Uses aircraft pilot technology I am told.
UClear Uclear Digital | motorcycle communication system

My friend and his wife who rides just got these. Too early for a review, yet, but I think my wife and I will get them so that the four of us can communicate on group rides.
 
That's them Sea. They can also do 10 guys in a group a long ways back somehow piggy backing off each other I hear.
 
My son and I have a set of the Scala G9X communicators. We really like them as it is so handy to just talk to each other while riding.

It does stick out the left side of the helmet and that is kind of a bother sometimes, but I am getting used to it. I would rather have the convenience when we ride together than the little bothers.

It took us a while to get them setup when we first got them, but once they "see" each other we have not had any problems.

9ee9f8c7d52a4b803a99779e82a29500.jpg
 
I have a sena device I use, it's model smh10. I really like it you can hook up to 2 devices to it, so GPS and phone or phone and ipod..ect, you can control the volume, music player and pick up call through the head piece. also its universal so you can pair up with other riders headsets if you are ever riding in a large group, i believe its up to 10 people.
 
Sena SMH10 user here, and it is a superb device. Easy to pair, great sound, all around top notch. Riding with my friends, it's great to be able to change routes, share info and chat, has really made for a massive increase in riding enjoyment. The Sena products are great.
 
Another SENA SMH10 user here. I am amazed by the performance of this unit. I returned the Chatterbox for this unit as that one just performed poorly in my case. I haven't actually used the SENA as an intercom, but phone call quality is absolutely outstanding in both directions. Highly recommended.
 
Just purchased the SMH-10 dual pack for my gf and I. I have a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet but will probably pass that on to her and looks like the ear recesses will accommodate the installation well. Are there no additional pieces needed for helmet attachment if you bought the dual pack? Everything is there?
 
Pretty sure the dual kit has everything you need, but some helmets need a special kit for installation (sometimes). These can be purchased separately (if even needed) and they usually run in the $40 range so not too bad.

BTW, last time I spoke to Stratus on the LSD ride he had a dual kit new in the box forsale. Did you buy his?
 
I didn't know he had a kit for sale, darn! I got mine off ebay for $220 though. Can't say I'm mad about that price point.
 
Hi Veech & Specialist8. It was the Sena 20s Dual set. It sold on eBay to a local guy. I had a dealer credit I had to use so I bought the 20s single and flipped the dual. I've been happy with the 20s so far. It fit very easily into my Bell helmet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My three buddies and I each bought Sena SMH10Rs and we think they perform very well. The devices worked flawlessly on our month long motorycle trip in Vietnam, as well as all temperatures and weather in the States. Two of the guys have full face helmets, one has a flip up modular helmet (with a mic boom), and the other has a open face and clear shield (with a mic boom). No wind noise at any speed from any of the helmets, just clear communication. I've received urgent and unexpected calls from work on the weekend while I was out on the bike at highway speeds and the person on the other end of the conversation absolutely cannot tell I am on the bike.

We believe that the ability to quickly and unambiguously verbally warn members of our group about dangerous situations while riding (traffic, road debris, leader decisions regarding route changes or lane switching, etc) is a safety imperative.

Good luck in your choice!
 
CB4, you just brought up another great reason for these headsets as I am on call monthly and receiving calls on the go is going to be super easy (as in now possible).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top