bikes value for tax appraisel

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
In NC we have property tax on our vehicles , including motor cycles.
Last year my 2013 CB 1100 with ABS was appraised at $ 9,900 and my 2014 DLX at $ 7,652
I just got the bill for my 2018 tax and my 2013 and it is still $ 9,900 !
Is it that very few 2013 with ABS were sold , perhaps I should sell my bike to Buncombe County / NC tax office !
 
that is so sad . we have no such thing in Florida and have 9 vehicles , most with antique tags [ about $32 a year ] other than insurance that is it. we have no state income tax , no tax on food , my home is homestead exempt and less than $60 a year tax on 31 acres of agricultural land.

I would declare the bike to be worth about 5K myself , without ABS even less. good luck SMH
 
You can dispute the value with a written letter. They won't come down much but if you keep on them you get them down some.

I had an '88 Prelude (4WS, fun car) that I bought mint in 2003 for $2k. It was appraised at $4500! I told them to come buy it immediately! I would even give them a deal at $4k!
 
I’d take it to a bike dealer and ask if they’d appraise it for the retail & wholesale value. Then present the info and see if they’ll meet you somewhere in between.
 
In Colorado, a portion of the annual registration fee is based on the original purchase price, not on the current appraised value, but they apply a sliding scale each year to determine the tax amount. This year's registration on my CB will be about $60, of which $3 is the property tax piece (which is tax deductible if you itemize).
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
that is so sad . we have no such thing in Florida and have 9 vehicles , most with antique tags [ about $32 a year ] other than insurance that is it. we have no state income tax , no tax on food , my home is homestead exempt and less than $60 a year tax on 31 acres of agricultural land.

I would declare the bike to be worth about 5K myself , without ABS even less. good luck SMH
I am thinking about moving in with you !
Can I bring my wife and 2 cats as well.
All joking apart we love the Asheville area , our house property tax is $4,100 but still a lot less than what we paid in NY.
 
Asheville huh? Do you, by any chance, know how much the tax is on Biltmore House? I tried to find it on-line and was never successful. Here you can look up any address on the on-line property tax site the city runs.

In Va. Beach the tax on my bikes and car goes down every year. Is still kinda high though.
 
use2b_imp said:
that is so sad . we have no such thing in Florida and have 9 vehicles , most with antique tags [ about $32 a year ] other than insurance that is it. we have no state income tax , no tax on food , my home is homestead exempt and less than $60 a year tax on 31 acres of agricultural land.

I would declare the bike to be worth about 5K myself , without ABS even less. good luck SMH

How does that work?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
that is so sad . we have no such thing in Florida and have 9 vehicles , most with antique tags [ about $32 a year ] other than insurance that is it. we have no state income tax , no tax on food , my home is homestead exempt and less than $60 a year tax on 31 acres of agricultural land.

I would declare the bike to be worth about 5K myself , without ABS even less. good luck SMH

How does that work?
How does that work?

not to derail but Fl gives tax breaks for all home owners , more for veterans , more for seniors , more for disabled , etc. I fit into 4 categories
 
Houtman_imp said:
In NC we have property tax on our vehicles , including motor cycles.
Last year my 2013 CB 1100 with ABS was appraised at $ 9,900 and my 2014 DLX at $ 7,652
I just got the bill for my 2018 tax and my 2013 and it is still $ 9,900 !
Is it that very few 2013 with ABS were sold , perhaps I should sell my bike to Buncombe County / NC tax office !
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43.
 
Blows me away that they tax you folks every year on the same vehicle. I mean you paid the tax on it when you bought it new right? My brother in law in Kentucky has to pay a tangibles tax on all his vehicles too. Crazy.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Blows me away that they tax you folks every year on the same vehicle. I mean you paid the tax on it when you bought it new right? My brother in law in Kentucky has to pay a tangibles tax on all his vehicles too. Crazy.
Blue book low retail in is less than $4K - use the blue book on them

I agree , never heard of such a thing and would not expect it in NC .
lived there a total of 4 years in the 70's while in the Marines.
owned a mobile home for 3 but it was in a park , kept my Fl tags and license both times and only payed local sales tax
 
The ferret_imp said:
Blows me away that they tax you folks every year on the same vehicle. I mean you paid the tax on it when you bought it new right? My brother in law in Kentucky has to pay a tangibles tax on all his vehicles too. Crazy.
Here in Indiana we have to pay an Excise tax every year for the registration. For our 2013 Ford C-max as an example it runs about $300 or so all based on a vehicles value. Kind of blew me away when I first got here from Ontario Canada as there it was a flat $75 a year for cars and trucks and $40 for motorcycles no matter what you drove.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Asheville huh? Do you, by any chance, know how much the tax is on Biltmore House? I tried to find it on-line and was never successful. Here you can look up any address on the on-line property tax site the city runs.

In Va. Beach the tax on my bikes and car goes down every year. Is still kinda high though.
I worked for the Biltmore Estate for 5 1/2 years , great place .
They are NOT tax exempt and at one time I read the amount of tax but can not remember how much :it is high !
Banned_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
In NC we have property tax on our vehicles , including motor cycles.
Last year my 2013 CB 1100 with ABS was appraised at $ 9,900 and my 2014 DLX at $ 7,652
I just got the bill for my 2018 tax and my 2013 and it is still $ 9,900 !
Is it that very few 2013 with ABS were sold , perhaps I should sell my bike to Buncombe County / NC tax office !
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43.
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43. Yes , it is a % and it always goes down on all our cars and my bikes but is seems that the 2013 with ABS goes up in value !
I will put mine on ebay with a starting price of $ 20,000 .........
 
Houtman_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Asheville huh? Do you, by any chance, know how much the tax is on Biltmore House? I tried to find it on-line and was never successful. Here you can look up any address on the on-line property tax site the city runs.

In Va. Beach the tax on my bikes and car goes down every year. Is still kinda high though.
I worked for the Biltmore Estate for 5 1/2 years , great place .
They are NOT tax exempt and at one time I read the amount of tax but can not remember how much :it is high !
Banned_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
In NC we have property tax on our vehicles , including motor cycles.
Last year my 2013 CB 1100 with ABS was appraised at $ 9,900 and my 2014 DLX at $ 7,652
I just got the bill for my 2018 tax and my 2013 and it is still $ 9,900 !
Is it that very few 2013 with ABS were sold , perhaps I should sell my bike to Buncombe County / NC tax office !
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43.
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43. Yes , it is a % and it always goes down on all our cars and my bikes but is seems that the 2013 with ABS goes up in value !
I will put mine on ebay with a starting price of $ 20,000 .........
I worked for the Biltmore Estate for 5 1/2 years , great place .
They are NOT tax exempt and at one time I read the amount of tax but can not remember how much :it is high !
Banned_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
In NC we have property tax on our vehicles , including motor cycles.
Last year my 2013 CB 1100 with ABS was appraised at $ 9,900 and my 2014 DLX at $ 7,652
I just got the bill for my 2018 tax and my 2013 and it is still $ 9,900 !
Is it that very few 2013 with ABS were sold , perhaps I should sell my bike to Buncombe County / NC tax office !
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43.
How is your fee calculated, is it a %? So theoretically each year your bill should be less as the vehicle depreciates?

Here vehicles are rated by weight, the heavier the vehicle the more you pay. My Tacoma is $143, motorcycles are $43. Yes , it is a % and it always goes down on all our cars and my bikes but is seems that the 2013 with ABS goes up in value !
I will put mine on ebay with a starting price of $ 20,000 .........
I live in Eastern NC, my 2 yr old 2014 STD is still valued at$9200. That’s crazy, but my wife’s year old 16 Honda CRV is only valued at $23k. None of this makes much sense, guess it all works out in the end.
 
Back
Top