Bike is starting to Irritate me re oil filter backing out

jazzmans_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So, I've now had two oil filters vibrate loose while running the bike, and start dripping oil, while running, which gets all over the Yosh exhaust and the rear tire:@....

This is Highly irritating, not to mention dangerous. I always do my own oil on all my bikes, and hand tighten the oil filters to ~the same tension. I've NEVER had one vibrate loose in thirty plus years before this CB, now I've had two within six months.

Yes, I checked there is not an extra gasket, and I did oil the gasket lightly before spinning it on.... Dang Gonna have to wire the fuggin thing.

Anyone else have this?
 
Sure you are putting it on tight enough? No one is reporting this and some guys are putting a LOT of miles on their bikes.
 
Always tighten by hand and then a slight snug with the filter wrench, never a problem. In 50 years of doing my own oil changes, I've never had one vibrate loose.
Strange indeed.
 
I do 6 oil changes a year at least on my two bikes... hand tighten first contact plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn of the filter (which is more than one would think) usually takes 2 hands. Never had one leak or vibrate loose.
 
Thread starter
Y'all are describing my tightening procedure exactly. hand tighten, then another 1/2 turn.

That's what surprises me, I've also NEVER had one back out before, and this is far from my first transverse four, I've owned at least five other CB 750's in my life, a Suzuk, a Yamaha (or three) not to mention the OldWing, Silverwing(CX), dirt bikes, etc etc.

These were both K&N oil filters, a brand I don't usually buy, but couldn't find the hondaline or fram, and didn't think it would make a difference.... Dunno.

It always happens on the interstate when I'm rolling between 70-90 commuting to work 25 miles each way. (always, I mean both times)
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the link Ferret, I'll order a sixer of the honda filters and will update.

The sixer link is the correct oil filter?

Hopefully a 'This never happened again' update.
 
I'm looking at one right now still in the wrapper :). 15410-MFJ-D01

Bought from the dealer. Might want to order some washers for the drain plug too...
 
I had a MINOR leak after one of my oil changes, but I know that was my fault. I checked and sure enough, the filter wasn't tight enough. I just tightened it up a bit, cleaned off the oil from the engine, and went on my way. Hasn't happened again since.
 
You might not need 6 if so order one 3 pack. I have 2 bikes use the same filter and I ride a lot of miles so use a lot of filters.

Crush washer I get at Honda car dealership for about 1/4 the price

14 mm crush washer I think used on all Accords and Civics

Part number 94109- 14000 I believe.
 
The shop manual gives quite a lot of torque for the OEM oilfilter: 26 Nm.

The HIFLO HF204, which I have as a substitute here on my desk says: 8-12 Nm.

Hm.
 
I seem to recall 19 ft lbs as the torque spec in the manual? Popgun?
 
You got it Mr. Ferret. The manual lists it as 19 ft. Lbs or 26Nm or 2.7Kgf m. And apply oil to threads and o-ring.

How do you get your iPad to not capitalize after a period? Like when you type ft. Lbs
 
have you got an engibe vibration issue , such as loose engine bolts or loose exhaust header bolts. I had a vibration issue on my kawasaki and it turned out to be both . tightened everything up and the mild vibration went away
 
Thread starter
Update. It's not leaking because it backed out as I assumed, It's leaking because the oil filter FAILED.

The K&N, as already noted, has a (not 17mm(wrench too big) and not 16mm(wrench too small), dunno WTF it actually is, not SAE either) nut on the front that is press riveted onto a plate on the face of the oil filter, THAT is where it is leaking from.

I have the Yoshimura hand bent exhaust, and it is less then a quarter inch from the nut on the filter, I am now guessing that due to thermal transferrence, the riveted part seperates and Woila! Leak!

Now you know.

Last time, I replaced the filter with another K&N I already had rather then just re-tightening and hoping it would work.

So, lesson learned.

Bugger, now I need an oil filter 'now'..
 
Get Ye to the dealer NOW! LOL
 
Back
Top